[Hammock Camping] Re: Baden Powel - hammocker

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 4, 2005
      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
      > Because once you quit basing decisions on reality, it makes it even
      > easier to ban something. If you accept the spurious proposition
      that
      > all hammock ropes are harmful to all trees, then you are just that
      much
      > closer to accepting that all hammocks with straps are harmful to
      all
      > trees. It's best to keep a grasp on reality and logic for as long
      as
      > possible.

      Point taken, but let's all remember that decisions about government
      policy are not inherently based on reality and logic, but are instead
      political at least to some degree.

      If problems with careless hammockers becomes too severe for land
      managers to ignore it won't be talked about as "those few individuals
      who use small, hard ropes." It will be referred to as "the hammock
      problem" and will very likely be dealt with on that basis. My
      suggestion that webbing only be allowed is an attempt to short-
      circuit the problem at its root. I'll leave it to you to decide the
      suggestion's worth.

      Doug Frost
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 13, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
        wrote:
        > My point
        > though was that the minorities (absinthe, hammocks,
        > off roaders) are always the first one banned when the
        > would-be prohibitors are aware of their presence, and
        > it is only a matter of time with the rate of growth of
        > hammock camping before the camping prohibitionists
        > start talking about how damaging we all are. And when
        > they attack something, junk science is always used.

        Or just flat-out tell baldface lies. Yep. It's happened lots of
        times before. And you, Bill, Rick and the rest are right there's not
        enough scientific data and we need studies. So they'll want to study
        it. I'm guessing they'll ban hammocks while they do that.
        Prohibition is the default option in government decisionmaking, after
        all. And government studies (likes the ones done for the Park
        Service) can take years.

        I'm hoping that if we approach these people with something workable
        we can avoid the prohibition part in the interim.

        Doug Frost