[Hammock Camping] Re: Baden Powel - hammocker

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 4, 2005
      Because once you quit basing decisions on reality, it makes it even
      easier to ban something. If you accept the spurious proposition that
      all hammock ropes are harmful to all trees, then you are just that much
      closer to accepting that all hammocks with straps are harmful to all
      trees. It's best to keep a grasp on reality and logic for as long as
      possible.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
      > <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
      > > I think that the straps may have become a red herring, and may
      <snip>

      > Better to require straps and ban ropes than to have a few idiots ruin
      > <snip>
      > We're already in an uphill struggle to get hammocking accepted on
      > Govt. regulated lands. Why make it harder?

    • dlfrost_1
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 13, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
        wrote:
        > My point
        > though was that the minorities (absinthe, hammocks,
        > off roaders) are always the first one banned when the
        > would-be prohibitors are aware of their presence, and
        > it is only a matter of time with the rate of growth of
        > hammock camping before the camping prohibitionists
        > start talking about how damaging we all are. And when
        > they attack something, junk science is always used.

        Or just flat-out tell baldface lies. Yep. It's happened lots of
        times before. And you, Bill, Rick and the rest are right there's not
        enough scientific data and we need studies. So they'll want to study
        it. I'm guessing they'll ban hammocks while they do that.
        Prohibition is the default option in government decisionmaking, after
        all. And government studies (likes the ones done for the Park
        Service) can take years.

        I'm hoping that if we approach these people with something workable
        we can avoid the prohibition part in the interim.

        Doug Frost