[Hammock Camping] Re: Baden Powel - hammocker

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 4, 2005
      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
      > I think that the straps may have become a red herring, and may have
      > done more harm than good for the cause of hammocking.
      > [...] In the same way, "use these treehugger straps so you
      > don't hurt the trees" may put the thought in ones head that on any
      kind
      > of tree, all hammocks w/o the straps are harmful (and even with the
      > straps they are questionable), when in fact they may only be
      harmful on
      > 2% of the trees in the US, if that many.

      Better to require straps and ban ropes than to have a few idiots ruin
      things for the rest of us by misusing ropes. It won't take much "bad
      news" about hammocks to poison the well for us hammockers... Some
      rope-scarred trees here, some drunken hammock revellers there--first
      thing you know we've got a bad reputation.

      Straps-not-ropes provides a clear dividing line for regulatory and
      public relations purposes. Everybody sees the differences, there are
      no gray areas, no what-can-I-get-away-with games, no confusion.

      We're already in an uphill struggle to get hammocking accepted on
      Govt. regulated lands. Why make it harder?

      Doug Frost
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 13, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
        wrote:
        > My point
        > though was that the minorities (absinthe, hammocks,
        > off roaders) are always the first one banned when the
        > would-be prohibitors are aware of their presence, and
        > it is only a matter of time with the rate of growth of
        > hammock camping before the camping prohibitionists
        > start talking about how damaging we all are. And when
        > they attack something, junk science is always used.

        Or just flat-out tell baldface lies. Yep. It's happened lots of
        times before. And you, Bill, Rick and the rest are right there's not
        enough scientific data and we need studies. So they'll want to study
        it. I'm guessing they'll ban hammocks while they do that.
        Prohibition is the default option in government decisionmaking, after
        all. And government studies (likes the ones done for the Park
        Service) can take years.

        I'm hoping that if we approach these people with something workable
        we can avoid the prohibition part in the interim.

        Doug Frost