top entry test

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
      Many member of this group seem to love their top entry hammocks so I
      have started to organize a top entry hammock kit.

      Help:

      I exited the hammock in a stiff wind and the hammock became a
      spinnaker. My pillow and quilt stayed in the hammock, but I was
      concerned. Is this a problem? Is there an easy solution?

      What worked:

      The MacCat Deluxe is great. I camped with tarps for many years and
      sometimes it is not easy to get a taut pitch. The combination of the
      hexagonal shape, ridge seam, catenary side cuts and webbing edges make
      this a klutz proof fly.

      The stuff sack that came with the MacCat is an excellent bag to keep
      your coat handy. It has a loop that can be used to attach it to the
      hammock line with a micro-carabiner. It is obvious that this gear is
      designed by someone that uses the gear.

      Lessons learned:

      A stiff wind can blow your quilt away - I need to keep at least one foot
      in the foot box

      I missed the mesh pockets on the HH ridge line - I will use the ridge
      line with mesh pockets and little hooks that I use with my tarp.

      Mesh snake skins for the MacCat fly would make it easier to pitch and
      take down in a stiff wind.

      Medium sized binder clips and the JRB suspension system held my No
      Sniveller under quilt in place well. If I use the system often, I will
      replace the binder clips with hook and loop fasteners.

      I used a BackPackingLight guy line kit. One of the micro-tensioners
      slipped because I had installed it wrong. I guess this tells you why I
      got out of a warm cozy hammock in a stiff wind. It worked well after I
      rigged it like the others. The micro-tensioners come with a diagram
      that illustrates the correct use. I am going to make a couple of
      copies, laminate it with packing tape and carry it.

      Conclusion:

      The top entry does have benefits, but I need more experience before I am
      willing to rely on it in a remote area.

      Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
        Hi Dick,

        A couple comments from about 1000 miles of hammock camping on the AT,
        using top entry hammocks of my own construction:

        Dick Matthews wrote:

        > Help:
        >
        > I exited the hammock in a stiff wind and the hammock became a
        > spinnaker. My pillow and quilt stayed in the hammock, but I was
        > concerned. Is this a problem? Is there an easy solution?

        First, it is best to hang a hammock where there is not a stiff wind.
        This is much more important for heat conservation than worrying about
        something being blown away. However, for windy/cool weather use, I
        always use my travel pod. It contains everything in the hammock. Ed's
        Peapod is similar in completely enclosing the hammock and bag.

        > The stuff sack that came with the MacCat is an excellent bag to keep
        > your coat handy. It has a loop that can be used to attach it to the
        > hammock line with a micro-carabiner. It is obvious that this gear is
        > designed by someone that uses the gear.

        A coat is also an excellent under leg warmer. The only time it is
        necessary to use it is when a coat is necessary during the day and when
        I search about for a place to put the coat. My insulation does not
        extend to the end of my legs, and the coat works wonderfully on cold
        winter nights to keep my calves warm from below.

        > I missed the mesh pockets on the HH ridge line - I will use the ridge
        > line with mesh pockets and little hooks that I use with my tarp.

        I run a line under my tarp from one tree attachment to the other. This
        makes a great place to hang glasses. A stuff sack for the hammock or
        the fly can be hung there to keep small articles in. However, I mainly
        keep a small collapsable bucket on the ground below my hammock when it
        is not raining. I keep book, light, glasses, and anything I think I
        might want in the night right there, and right at hand. With a top
        entry hammock, my goodies do not need to be inside the hammock.

        > Conclusion:
        >
        > The top entry does have benefits, but I need more experience before I am
        > willing to rely on it in a remote area.

        I trust the top entry hammock. And for most things that could go wrong,
        it is much easier for me to fix this hammock in the field than a
        commercial one.

        Risk

      • Dick Matthews
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
          Risk,

          Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge. I appreciate it.

          Rick wrote:

          >Hi Dick,
          >
          >A couple comments from about 1000 miles of hammock camping on the AT,
          >using top entry hammocks of my own construction:
          >
          >Dick Matthews wrote:
          >

          >>Help:
          >>
          >>I exited the hammock in a stiff wind and the hammock became a
          >>spinnaker. My pillow and quilt stayed in the hammock, but I was
          >>concerned. Is this a problem? Is there an easy solution?
          >>

          >First, it is best to hang a hammock where there is not a stiff wind.
          >This is much more important for heat conservation than worrying about
          >something being blown away. However, for windy/cool weather use, I
          >always use my travel pod. It contains everything in the hammock. Ed's
          >Peapod is similar in completely enclosing the hammock and bag.

          Yes, it was pitched on a ridge line with a great view, but no shelter.
          The overnight low was only 47.5 and the kit I was using had taken me
          comfortably to 28 in the HH. I know better but the view was great and
          the wind only lasted from about 4:00am to 6:00am.

          >>The stuff sack that came with the MacCat is an excellent bag to keep
          >>your coat handy. It has a loop that can be used to attach it to the
          >>hammock line with a micro-carabiner. It is obvious that this gear is
          >>designed by someone that uses the gear.
          >>

          >A coat is also an excellent under leg warmer. The only time it is
          >necessary to use it is when a coat is necessary during the day and when
          >I search about for a place to put the coat. My insulation does not
          >extend to the end of my legs, and the coat works wonderfully on cold
          >winter nights to keep my calves warm from below.

          I missed the mesh pockets on the HH ridge line - I will use the ridge

          >>line with mesh pockets and little hooks that I use with my tarp.
          >>

          >I run a line under my tarp from one tree attachment to the other. This
          >makes a great place to hang glasses. A stuff sack for the hammock or
          >the fly can be hung there to keep small articles in. However, I mainly
          >keep a small collapsable bucket on the ground below my hammock when it
          >is not raining. I keep book, light, glasses, and anything I think I
          >might want in the night right there, and right at hand. With a top
          >entry hammock, my goodies do not need to be inside the hammock.

          Conclusion:

          >>The top entry does have benefits, but I need more experience before I am
          >>willing to rely on it in a remote area.
          >>

          >I trust the top entry hammock. And for most things that could go wrong,
          >it is much easier for me to fix this hammock in the field than a
          >commercial one.

          I trust the gear, I do not trust my skill - yet.