Re: Hammocks in parks

  • Anthony Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
      The state parks in Florida don't allow you to tie ANYTHING (hammocks
      included) to the trees, and have even gone as far as threaten groups I've
      been with before to remove the group from the park for tying anything at all
      to a tree. The state forest campgrounds, however, allow whatever you want to
      be tied to the trees, as long as it doesn't damage the trees. That means
      that the state forests get my campground fees, and the state parks loose
      out. Although I still greatly prefer to camp in the woods and not have all
      the other people near me.
      TJ

    • jeffdavis_203
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2005
        Hello everyone. I am new to this club. I have been using a hammock for
        several years. I use the HH. Also let me tell you what I do for a
        living. I am a Park Ranger in the state of Mississippi. We do not have
        a problem with people using hammocks in our parks. As for the NP i do
        work with them also. I go backpacking in the Smokie Moutains. I use my
        hammock there and they have never had a problem with it. The let me
        use it there before they knew I was a ranger. When I did ask I did let
        them know I was using straps and not hooks that needed to be screwed
        into the trees. And showed them that the wider and longer straps did
        not hurt the trees. And now some of the rangers there use hammocks
        when out in the back country.

        The word is getting out there that they are not bad. With other
        rangers using them they might let them start using them in other parks
        (state or NP).

        Thanks just my thoughts and what I have been through.

        Jeff
        aka ziplock