Hammocks in parks (was Baden Powel - hammocker)

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 3, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scot Leibacher" <scot-
      leibacher@w...> wrote:
      > I don't know about other states and the National Parks, but the
      State Parks in Indiana
      > prohibit ANYTHING tied to trees for fear of damage...

      I recently called Sequoia and King's Canyon National Park to see if I
      could use hammocks there. The Rangers said that if I didn't damage
      the trees, it's ok since people tie up tarps and such.

      Sounds like it may not be a NPS policy...they might leave it up to the
      individual parks to decide.
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 13, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
        wrote:
        > My point
        > though was that the minorities (absinthe, hammocks,
        > off roaders) are always the first one banned when the
        > would-be prohibitors are aware of their presence, and
        > it is only a matter of time with the rate of growth of
        > hammock camping before the camping prohibitionists
        > start talking about how damaging we all are. And when
        > they attack something, junk science is always used.

        Or just flat-out tell baldface lies. Yep. It's happened lots of
        times before. And you, Bill, Rick and the rest are right there's not
        enough scientific data and we need studies. So they'll want to study
        it. I'm guessing they'll ban hammocks while they do that.
        Prohibition is the default option in government decisionmaking, after
        all. And government studies (likes the ones done for the Park
        Service) can take years.

        I'm hoping that if we approach these people with something workable
        we can avoid the prohibition part in the interim.

        Doug Frost