[Hammock Camping] Re: Baden Powel - hammocker

  • jmgiv47
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 3, 2005
      > Amen. Someday, I want to try to get the Philmont rules changed
      for
      > hammocks. But we need some research to be done first by some grad
      > students in forestry. (To show that using hammocks does not
      damage trees.)

      > But as to the changing of the philosopy from original leaders...
      > think the founding fathers would find it incredible that the
      United
      > States would not allow public prayer. I believe they formed this
      > country, in part, so that no one could abridge that right.
      >
      > But that is off topic.
      > Rick

      Matt6:5-6 :)

      john
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 13, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
        wrote:
        > My point
        > though was that the minorities (absinthe, hammocks,
        > off roaders) are always the first one banned when the
        > would-be prohibitors are aware of their presence, and
        > it is only a matter of time with the rate of growth of
        > hammock camping before the camping prohibitionists
        > start talking about how damaging we all are. And when
        > they attack something, junk science is always used.

        Or just flat-out tell baldface lies. Yep. It's happened lots of
        times before. And you, Bill, Rick and the rest are right there's not
        enough scientific data and we need studies. So they'll want to study
        it. I'm guessing they'll ban hammocks while they do that.
        Prohibition is the default option in government decisionmaking, after
        all. And government studies (likes the ones done for the Park
        Service) can take years.

        I'm hoping that if we approach these people with something workable
        we can avoid the prohibition part in the interim.

        Doug Frost