[Hammock Camping] Re: Baden Powel - hammocker

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 3, 2005
      I think that the straps may have become a red herring, and may have
      done more harm than good for the cause of hammocking. Sorta like if I
      told you "hey, I made some chili, and here's a bowl of it, and you can
      take this Cipro beforehand to make sure it doesn't give you food
      poisoning." In reality, the chili is just fine and is safe to eat.
      But the whole batch of chili now has a taint in your head that is not
      caused by the actual chili, but by my offer of Cipro and mention of
      food poisoning. In the same way, "use these treehugger straps so you
      don't hurt the trees" may put the thought in ones head that on any kind
      of tree, all hammocks w/o the straps are harmful (and even with the
      straps they are questionable), when in fact they may only be harmful on
      2% of the trees in the US, if that many.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "neptunebeach"
      <neptunebeach@c...> wrote:
      <snip>LNT recognized the Hennessy's bark-protecting tree hugger straps,
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 13, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
        wrote:
        > My point
        > though was that the minorities (absinthe, hammocks,
        > off roaders) are always the first one banned when the
        > would-be prohibitors are aware of their presence, and
        > it is only a matter of time with the rate of growth of
        > hammock camping before the camping prohibitionists
        > start talking about how damaging we all are. And when
        > they attack something, junk science is always used.

        Or just flat-out tell baldface lies. Yep. It's happened lots of
        times before. And you, Bill, Rick and the rest are right there's not
        enough scientific data and we need studies. So they'll want to study
        it. I'm guessing they'll ban hammocks while they do that.
        Prohibition is the default option in government decisionmaking, after
        all. And government studies (likes the ones done for the Park
        Service) can take years.

        I'm hoping that if we approach these people with something workable
        we can avoid the prohibition part in the interim.

        Doug Frost