Re: Baden Powel - hammocker

  • jonas4321
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 3, 2005
      I was staffing an Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills training session (for
      adult Boy Scout leaders) this weekend, and for the very first time, I
      was given time (officially) to discuss hammock camping during the
      Campsite Selection and Setup session. If I had had that picture, it
      would have made a few jaws drop! I'll incorporate it into the next
      session in the spring.

      Thanks, Rick!!! And thank you Shane for the wonderful quote!

      ps- Baden Powell has two "L"s in it, if anyone is going to put it up
      onto a site.

      > I was going through a list of paintings by Baden Powel, founder of Boy
      > Scouts. I found this image which he called My House in the Woods.
      >
      > It should look familiar to every hammock camper.
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 13, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
        wrote:
        > My point
        > though was that the minorities (absinthe, hammocks,
        > off roaders) are always the first one banned when the
        > would-be prohibitors are aware of their presence, and
        > it is only a matter of time with the rate of growth of
        > hammock camping before the camping prohibitionists
        > start talking about how damaging we all are. And when
        > they attack something, junk science is always used.

        Or just flat-out tell baldface lies. Yep. It's happened lots of
        times before. And you, Bill, Rick and the rest are right there's not
        enough scientific data and we need studies. So they'll want to study
        it. I'm guessing they'll ban hammocks while they do that.
        Prohibition is the default option in government decisionmaking, after
        all. And government studies (likes the ones done for the Park
        Service) can take years.

        I'm hoping that if we approach these people with something workable
        we can avoid the prohibition part in the interim.

        Doug Frost