RE: [Hammock Camping] Baden Powel - hammocker

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 2, 2005
      Shane, The last letter (m) got left off your link.
      It was an easy fix.

      That is a great story and I hope you have a (circle C)
      on it somewhere or you may see it show up someplace
      else.

      http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/whyhammock.htm

      Anyway I still have 2 of my old Army Jungle Hammocks
      and use one of them in my backyard a lot. I replaced
      the tarp/fly that came with it with my much larger MAC
      Cat.

      Bill in Texas

      --- Shane Steinkamp <shane@...>

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 13, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
        wrote:
        > My point
        > though was that the minorities (absinthe, hammocks,
        > off roaders) are always the first one banned when the
        > would-be prohibitors are aware of their presence, and
        > it is only a matter of time with the rate of growth of
        > hammock camping before the camping prohibitionists
        > start talking about how damaging we all are. And when
        > they attack something, junk science is always used.

        Or just flat-out tell baldface lies. Yep. It's happened lots of
        times before. And you, Bill, Rick and the rest are right there's not
        enough scientific data and we need studies. So they'll want to study
        it. I'm guessing they'll ban hammocks while they do that.
        Prohibition is the default option in government decisionmaking, after
        all. And government studies (likes the ones done for the Park
        Service) can take years.

        I'm hoping that if we approach these people with something workable
        we can avoid the prohibition part in the interim.

        Doug Frost