RE: [Hammock Camping] Baden Powel - hammocker

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 61 , Oct 2, 2005
      > I was going through a list of paintings by Baden Powel, founder of Boy
      > Scouts. I found this image which he called My House in the Woods.
      >
      > It should look familiar to every hammock camper.
      >
      > I wonder why this image has not made it into the list of hammock
      > histories I have read?

      Mostly because I was not aware of it. ;) I'll fix that after a bit...

      > http://www.imrisk.com/bp-house-in-woods.jpg
      >
      > It looks like it is a spreader hammock, perhaps even a modified cot?

      It's called an Ashanti. Had you read my wonderful and thoroughly complete
      page on the subject, you would know this. ;)

      http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/whyhammock.ht

      The founder of the Boy Scouts, Sir Robert Baden-Powell, slept in hammocks
      when out of doors and recommended them highly. He even had one permanently
      set up outside his home, where he slept often. This was actually the
      Ashanti Hammock, which was less like a Mayan Hammock and more like a
      suspended cot. In Young Knights of the Empire, page 184, he wrote, "Another
      form of tent which I used in Mafeking and South Africa, and still use for
      sleeping out in, in England, is one which you would hardly call a tent. It
      is really a slung cot, with a moveable canvas roof to it. It is called the
      'Ashanti Hammock'. It packs up quite small, and is put up in a few minutes.
      Requires no pegs. Keeps you off the wet ground. And when the gale comes
      and all the tents in camp blow down, you lie there swinging gently in the
      breeze, the envy of all the rest. It also forms an excellent stretcher if
      you are ill and have to be carried; and if you die it also makes a very
      satisfactory coffin, being laced over you as you lie in it. Very complete,
      isn't it?"

      Can you give any more information about the painting so I can attribute it
      properly when I add it to the page?

      Shane
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 61 of 61 , Oct 13, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
        wrote:
        > My point
        > though was that the minorities (absinthe, hammocks,
        > off roaders) are always the first one banned when the
        > would-be prohibitors are aware of their presence, and
        > it is only a matter of time with the rate of growth of
        > hammock camping before the camping prohibitionists
        > start talking about how damaging we all are. And when
        > they attack something, junk science is always used.

        Or just flat-out tell baldface lies. Yep. It's happened lots of
        times before. And you, Bill, Rick and the rest are right there's not
        enough scientific data and we need studies. So they'll want to study
        it. I'm guessing they'll ban hammocks while they do that.
        Prohibition is the default option in government decisionmaking, after
        all. And government studies (likes the ones done for the Park
        Service) can take years.

        I'm hoping that if we approach these people with something workable
        we can avoid the prohibition part in the interim.

        Doug Frost