Re: [Hammock Camping] D.A.M. vs Underquilt - Why Choose?

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dylan" <hum469@y...> wrote:
      > Wow, only one reply. Either my idea isn't as exciting as it seemed
      > when I came up with it

      I think it's a great idea to test, but not many people have experience
      making inflatable mattresses so it's hard to offer advice!

      I'm curious how to join the tubes together to ensure loft BETWEEN the
      tubes. For example, a 2" sew-through quilt won't insulate as well as
      a 2" baffled quilt because the thinnest point of loft is the sew-
      through. Do you stagger the tubes? Or do you just deal with them
      having a thin spot between them?
    • Dylan Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        That is a good point jwj32542, and it is thoughts like
        that I am hoping to get, whether anyone has experience
        or not. More people in the conversation means more
        ideas.

        To address the question, at least in my case, I think
        while the quilt is not inflated, it will act just like
        any baffled quilt. When it is inflated, other DAMs
        seem to be working for others without any insulation
        between the tubes. Thinking about it, I think that
        when weight is on it, the tubes smash a bit, deforming
        from cylinders, to other less perfect shapes. Since
        they are held tight together, I would bet that the
        tops and bottoms of the cylinder curves expand out,
        while the extreme edges (the only bit touching without
        weight) stay the same since they are already tucked up
        against one another. In this case then, I think that
        the tubes take on a more square like cross section,
        thereby insulating the space. At least that seems to
        make the most sence since the tubes must deform some
        way, and nobody with a DAM has reported any cold
        strips so far.

        Should it prove to be a problem however, I can add
        insulation between the tubes too. The idea I have
        basically is to have it constructed as similar to a
        baffled quilt as I can, just with air tight baffles.
        When used in quilt mode with no weight on it, it
        should move and deform same as any other quilt. If it
        does not, it would be possible to add down inbetween
        the tubes. I really don't know though I suppose
        untill I try. Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?
        Think it will work the way I imagine, or is there
        something I am overlooking? I think I will order the
        materials to start work some time in the next week or
        so, I would like to have my plan completed. Thank you
        all for your time.

        http://mail.yahoo.com