Re: [Hammock Camping] D.A.M. vs Underquilt - Why Choose?

  • Dylan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30 12:25 PM
      Wow, only one reply. Either my idea isn't as exciting as it seemed
      when I came up with it, or a lot of people are luckier than me (out
      camping instead of here reading the board to avoid work)!

      Thank you Bill for your reply though. I had seen your DAM in the
      past, and I was thinking I might employ something similar. The only
      issue I have to deal with though is the way in which you inflate
      yours. Since mine will be embedded in an underquilt, I would not be
      able to clamp the ends of each baffle. Also, with an unsealed end
      when I am using it as a quilt, I would have the added problem of the
      down getting out when I am using it soft. What I am thinking is that
      all my baffles will have to be connected in som way, and inflated
      through one or two valves, much like the professionally made DAMs.
      Now I know I can heat seal both ends, but I am not sure how I would
      attach some sort of cross tube or valve assembly that would still be
      air tight and not terribly heavy.

      I know this is going to be a lot more work to solve than either the
      underquilt or a normal DAM would be on their own, however, I would
      love to be able to have the flexability without the worry of choosing
      which to take before I even get where I am going. I would simply
      stick to the underquilt because I know I prefer the comfort of them
      over the pad or DAM methods. The trouble is I live in a state that
      is half desert, and I like to see what is over the next hill. I very
      often have no idea what to expect untill I get there, and everything
      I have is all about the flexability. To that end then, while I can
      often hang my hammock even where there are no trees, sometimes I am
      forced to ground. When that happens, I must have something else.
      Therefor, I am willing to take on the extra difficulty of building an
      inflatable quilt as it were. In fact, I think I will add the
      following to the lexicon; IDUQ - inflatable down under-quilt. That
      is my mission at this time, if anyone else has any thoughts or ideas,
      please feel free to jump on it. I will need all the help I can get!

      -Dylan Anderson

      P.S. Bill, where did you get the poly-tube from? I am sure that is
      answered somewhere on previous messages, but somehow I am missing it
      when I search past posts.
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dylan" <hum469@y...> wrote:
        > Wow, only one reply. Either my idea isn't as exciting as it seemed
        > when I came up with it

        I think it's a great idea to test, but not many people have experience
        making inflatable mattresses so it's hard to offer advice!

        I'm curious how to join the tubes together to ensure loft BETWEEN the
        tubes. For example, a 2" sew-through quilt won't insulate as well as
        a 2" baffled quilt because the thinnest point of loft is the sew-
        through. Do you stagger the tubes? Or do you just deal with them
        having a thin spot between them?
      • Dylan Anderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          That is a good point jwj32542, and it is thoughts like
          that I am hoping to get, whether anyone has experience
          or not. More people in the conversation means more
          ideas.

          To address the question, at least in my case, I think
          while the quilt is not inflated, it will act just like
          any baffled quilt. When it is inflated, other DAMs
          seem to be working for others without any insulation
          between the tubes. Thinking about it, I think that
          when weight is on it, the tubes smash a bit, deforming
          from cylinders, to other less perfect shapes. Since
          they are held tight together, I would bet that the
          tops and bottoms of the cylinder curves expand out,
          while the extreme edges (the only bit touching without
          weight) stay the same since they are already tucked up
          against one another. In this case then, I think that
          the tubes take on a more square like cross section,
          thereby insulating the space. At least that seems to
          make the most sence since the tubes must deform some
          way, and nobody with a DAM has reported any cold
          strips so far.

          Should it prove to be a problem however, I can add
          insulation between the tubes too. The idea I have
          basically is to have it constructed as similar to a
          baffled quilt as I can, just with air tight baffles.
          When used in quilt mode with no weight on it, it
          should move and deform same as any other quilt. If it
          does not, it would be possible to add down inbetween
          the tubes. I really don't know though I suppose
          untill I try. Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?
          Think it will work the way I imagine, or is there
          something I am overlooking? I think I will order the
          materials to start work some time in the next week or
          so, I would like to have my plan completed. Thank you
          all for your time.

          http://mail.yahoo.com