[Hammock Camping] Re: Exped DAM-NOT

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 30, 2005
      <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
      > I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
      > November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
      > GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
      > Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
      > Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
      > DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
      > problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
      > was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
      > degrees F.
      >
      > My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
      > Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
      > than most.

      Sounds good... I've been following your experiments and reliability
      was my only remaining concern. I'm looking forward to hearing your
      after-trip report.

      Soon, we'll probably have to start telling newbie/wannabe
      hammockcampers to keep their tents--to use for down stuffing!

      I'm currently moving to a place near Sevierville, and can see the
      Smokies from the window of my bedroom.

      Verily I say unto you: There shall be much winter testing.

      Doug Frost
    • BRIAN
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
        Hey everyone,

        My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
        honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
        for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
        now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
        this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
        won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
        praying for cold weather too.

        Brian
        T-BACK
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>
          wrote:
          > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite!

          Awesome! Which model did you get? You gonna get a SPE or something
          for your shoulders and hips?

          For some reason, I don't have any condensation problems with the Exped
          DAM, even when I'm very warm. CCF gives me a clammy back even when
          I'm cool. It must be the type of covering Exped uses...very
          comfortable.
        • Michael B. Carter
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
            Brian,

            I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
            I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago, and was as
            comfy and warm as I've ever been.
            It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth the extra
            effort.
            It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.

            Enjoy...

            Michael

            At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
            >Hey everyone,
            >
            >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
            >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
            >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
            >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
            >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
            >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
            >praying for cold weather too.
            >
            >Brian
            >T-BACK

            >hammock
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
            >food
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
            >camping
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
            >outdoors
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
            >camper
            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

            > *

          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
              > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
              > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.

              Comgrats, Brian!

              I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!

              Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just fine
              and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a bit "higher" in
              the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more. I "discovered"
              that cold spots were eliminated!

              > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
              > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
              > praying for cold weather too.

              ...hehehe!

              Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just delivered a
              20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep snow
              or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing your
              girl..?

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                OK guys, I'm jealous. I could use one tonight. I bought a
                replacement target pad (the 27 x 72 x 3/8) the other day. (gave the
                old one to the dogs) and found a yoga pad here at the house. This
                pad is really thin but heavier than the much bigger target pad.
                It's 20 x 72 by about 1/8. I'm carrying my converted sleeping
                sleeping bag and plan to put it around my hammock and sleeping on
                top of that with the pads on top of that. It was too agrivating
                when I put it in another hammock below me the other night. This
                will give me about 1.5 inches of down below me unless i can shake
                more of the down to the bottom. It's 21 here this morning and 23
                at huntsville on the news. they said tonight would be colder with
                lows in the upper teens. should be a little cooler 2 hours north of
                here. Cody has chickend out again so I'll be solo. Makes me a
                little nervous as I have been to 16 F before but was where i could
                walk home if needed. I guess i could hike the 6 miles back to the
                car if needed but the gate will be locked so i hope that dont
                happen. I'll be in a 5 F sleeping bag I'm testing for BGT so if my
                underinsulation is good enought I dont forsee any problems. I'll
                try to get a few pics if my camera dont freeze. I plan to keep it
                in the bag with me overnight. I'm outa here in a little while so
                wish me luck.

                Coy Boy

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                <carterm@m...> wrote:

                > Brian,
                >
                > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                > I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago,
                and was as
                > comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                > It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth
                the extra
                > effort.
                > It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.
                >
                > Enjoy...
                >
                > Michael
                >
                > At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                > >Hey everyone,
                > >
                > >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                > >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                Thanks
                > >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try
                it
                > >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should
                drop
                > >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that
                she
                > >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                she's
                > >praying for cold weather too.
                > >
                > >Brian
                > >T-BACK

                t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+campi
                ng&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlC
                ZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>Camping
                > >hammock
                > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEz
                fzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                > >food
                > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4
                =Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXj
                LyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                > >camping
                > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEI
                pgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                > >outdoors
                > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8Kw
                ziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                > >camper
                > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=G
                si+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJ
                QwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                > > *

              • Coy
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                  The world is going to the dogs...

                  I put my dogs in the basement last night. When I let them out this
                  morning Freckls was ready to go. Nelly Sweet Pea sorta looked out
                  side then trotted back over to the bed I made them. I had to walk
                  outside on the frost coverd ground barefooted to get her out...my
                  feet are still cold. I told the wife and kids to put them back up
                  tonight. I need one of those doors that they can go in and out but
                  the flap dont let cold air in all the time.

                  Coy Boy
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN"
                  <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                  > > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from
                  my
                  > > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                  >
                  > Comgrats, Brian!
                  >
                  > I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!
                  >
                  > Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just
                  fine
                  > and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a
                  bit "higher" in
                  > the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more.
                  I "discovered"
                  > that cold spots were eliminated!
                  >
                  > > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                  > > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                  she's
                  > > praying for cold weather too.
                  >
                  > ...hehehe!
                  >
                  > Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just
                  delivered a
                  > 20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep
                  snow
                  > or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing
                  your
                  > girl..?
                  >
                  > Happy Trails,
                  >
                  > J.D.

                • J.D. Hoessle
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                    <carterm@m...> wrote:
                    > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.

                    Michael- Brian - Slowhike

                    Seems a lot of us are sold on the Exped DAM. Yes, mine is also the
                    Downmat 7 - Long.

                    Mr. Speer, have you considered distributing a "combo" package of the
                    Exped and SPE...?

                    OH, Yeah... The usual Disclaimer that I don't work for either, get no
                    remuneration, etc. Hmmm...? Maybe we should...<g>...!

                    Note: I have found the "Inflation Time" considerably reduced by
                    allowing the DAM to just self-inflate for about 20-30 minutes. Seems
                    to cut the number of "bag-puffs" in half.

                    Happy Trails,

                    J.D.
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                      Brian, Jeff, Tim, Michael

                      The excitement over the Exped DAM is justified. And it sounds like we'll
                      all be using them on our upcoming Mt Mitchell hike! I'll have my 7 short as
                      well as my PeaPod! ..Ed

                      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                      Editor, Hammock Camping News

                      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                      _____

> [...]

                      &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                      &k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                      oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                      >outdoors
                      ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                      ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                      &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                      &k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                      oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy

                      >camper
                      ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                      food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                      g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>
                      &k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors
                      &w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                      Camping
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                      amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                      105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                      Camping
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                      ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                      &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                      Rv
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                      g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                      sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                      Gsi
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                      ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                      &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                      Happy
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                      ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                      &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                      Outdoors
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                      food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                      g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                      _____

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                      _____

                    • jwj32542
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                        I'm still deciding whether or not to bring it on my snow camping
                        trip next weekend. It's supposed to get into the teens, but up in
                        the Sierras the weather can change fast so I want to be prepared for
                        a bit below that.

                        I was thinking about the PeaPod, Exped 7, and JRB No Sniveller.
                        Should keep me nice and toasty below zero. I don't think I'll need
                        a SPE since I have the PeaPod.

                        Or the 3 Season Set and PeaPod would be lighter for below zero, but
                        I don't have anything to lay around on outside (or go to ground with
                        if it gets really bad).

                        I was thinking about a torso-length CCF instead of the DAM, since
                        it's lighter and I can drag it around camp as a sit pad for the snow
                        throne I'm gonna make. But a .5" CCF might not be enough extra
                        insulation and I don't want the extra bulk. Plus it's just not as
                        comfy.

                        What do you guys think?

                        PeaPod, Exped and NS for ~84 oz, or
                        PeaPod, 3 Season Set for ~74 oz?