Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Exped DAM-NOT

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
      I really wanted to hang the old hammock out during Rita (Live north of
      Houston a bit), but wife wouldn't have it.

      I can't wait to get under 100 for a few days. Nasty heat, and humidty

      TV
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 30, 2005
        <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
        > I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
        > November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
        > GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
        > Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
        > Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
        > DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
        > problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
        > was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
        > degrees F.
        >
        > My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
        > Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
        > than most.

        Sounds good... I've been following your experiments and reliability
        was my only remaining concern. I'm looking forward to hearing your
        after-trip report.

        Soon, we'll probably have to start telling newbie/wannabe
        hammockcampers to keep their tents--to use for down stuffing!

        I'm currently moving to a place near Sevierville, and can see the
        Smokies from the window of my bedroom.

        Verily I say unto you: There shall be much winter testing.

        Doug Frost
      • BRIAN
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
          Hey everyone,

          My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
          honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
          for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
          now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
          this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
          won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
          praying for cold weather too.

          Brian
          T-BACK
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>
            wrote:
            > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite!

            Awesome! Which model did you get? You gonna get a SPE or something
            for your shoulders and hips?

            For some reason, I don't have any condensation problems with the Exped
            DAM, even when I'm very warm. CCF gives me a clammy back even when
            I'm cool. It must be the type of covering Exped uses...very
            comfortable.
          • Michael B. Carter
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
              Brian,

              I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
              I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago, and was as
              comfy and warm as I've ever been.
              It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth the extra
              effort.
              It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.

              Enjoy...

              Michael

              At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
              >Hey everyone,
              >
              >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
              >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
              >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
              >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
              >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
              >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
              >praying for cold weather too.
              >
              >Brian
              >T-BACK

              >hammock
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
              >food
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
              >camping
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
              >outdoors
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
              >camper
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

              > *

            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.

                Comgrats, Brian!

                I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!

                Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just fine
                and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a bit "higher" in
                the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more. I "discovered"
                that cold spots were eliminated!

                > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                > praying for cold weather too.

                ...hehehe!

                Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just delivered a
                20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep snow
                or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing your
                girl..?

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.
              • Coy
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                  OK guys, I'm jealous. I could use one tonight. I bought a
                  replacement target pad (the 27 x 72 x 3/8) the other day. (gave the
                  old one to the dogs) and found a yoga pad here at the house. This
                  pad is really thin but heavier than the much bigger target pad.
                  It's 20 x 72 by about 1/8. I'm carrying my converted sleeping
                  sleeping bag and plan to put it around my hammock and sleeping on
                  top of that with the pads on top of that. It was too agrivating
                  when I put it in another hammock below me the other night. This
                  will give me about 1.5 inches of down below me unless i can shake
                  more of the down to the bottom. It's 21 here this morning and 23
                  at huntsville on the news. they said tonight would be colder with
                  lows in the upper teens. should be a little cooler 2 hours north of
                  here. Cody has chickend out again so I'll be solo. Makes me a
                  little nervous as I have been to 16 F before but was where i could
                  walk home if needed. I guess i could hike the 6 miles back to the
                  car if needed but the gate will be locked so i hope that dont
                  happen. I'll be in a 5 F sleeping bag I'm testing for BGT so if my
                  underinsulation is good enought I dont forsee any problems. I'll
                  try to get a few pics if my camera dont freeze. I plan to keep it
                  in the bag with me overnight. I'm outa here in a little while so
                  wish me luck.

                  Coy Boy

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                  <carterm@m...> wrote:

                  > Brian,
                  >
                  > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                  > I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago,
                  and was as
                  > comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                  > It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth
                  the extra
                  > effort.
                  > It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.
                  >
                  > Enjoy...
                  >
                  > Michael
                  >
                  > At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >Hey everyone,
                  > >
                  > >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                  > >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                  Thanks
                  > >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try
                  it
                  > >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should
                  drop
                  > >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that
                  she
                  > >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                  she's
                  > >praying for cold weather too.
                  > >
                  > >Brian
                  > >T-BACK

                  t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+campi
                  ng&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlC
                  ZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>Camping
                  > >hammock
                  > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                  w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEz
                  fzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                  > >food
                  > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4
                  =Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXj
                  LyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                  > >camping
                  > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                  w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEI
                  pgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                  > >outdoors
                  > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                  w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8Kw
                  ziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                  > >camper
                  > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=G
                  si+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJ
                  QwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                  > > *

                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                    The world is going to the dogs...

                    I put my dogs in the basement last night. When I let them out this
                    morning Freckls was ready to go. Nelly Sweet Pea sorta looked out
                    side then trotted back over to the bed I made them. I had to walk
                    outside on the frost coverd ground barefooted to get her out...my
                    feet are still cold. I told the wife and kids to put them back up
                    tonight. I need one of those doors that they can go in and out but
                    the flap dont let cold air in all the time.

                    Coy Boy
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN"
                    <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                    > > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from
                    my
                    > > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                    >
                    > Comgrats, Brian!
                    >
                    > I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!
                    >
                    > Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just
                    fine
                    > and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a
                    bit "higher" in
                    > the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more.
                    I "discovered"
                    > that cold spots were eliminated!
                    >
                    > > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                    > > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                    she's
                    > > praying for cold weather too.
                    >
                    > ...hehehe!
                    >
                    > Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just
                    delivered a
                    > 20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep
                    snow
                    > or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing
                    your
                    > girl..?
                    >
                    > Happy Trails,
                    >
                    > J.D.

                  • J.D. Hoessle
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                      <carterm@m...> wrote:
                      > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.

                      Michael- Brian - Slowhike

                      Seems a lot of us are sold on the Exped DAM. Yes, mine is also the
                      Downmat 7 - Long.

                      Mr. Speer, have you considered distributing a "combo" package of the
                      Exped and SPE...?

                      OH, Yeah... The usual Disclaimer that I don't work for either, get no
                      remuneration, etc. Hmmm...? Maybe we should...<g>...!

                      Note: I have found the "Inflation Time" considerably reduced by
                      allowing the DAM to just self-inflate for about 20-30 minutes. Seems
                      to cut the number of "bag-puffs" in half.

                      Happy Trails,

                      J.D.
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                        Brian, Jeff, Tim, Michael

                        The excitement over the Exped DAM is justified. And it sounds like we'll
                        all be using them on our upcoming Mt Mitchell hike! I'll have my 7 short as
                        well as my PeaPod! ..Ed

                        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                        Editor, Hammock Camping News

                        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                        _____

> [...]

                        &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                        &k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                        oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                        >outdoors
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                        &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                        &k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                        oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy

                        >camper
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                        food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                        g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>
                        &k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors
                        &w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                        Camping
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                        amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                        105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                        Camping
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                        &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                        Rv
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                        g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                        sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                        Gsi
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                        &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                        Happy
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                        &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                        Outdoors
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                        food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                        g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                        _____

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                        _____

                      • jwj32542
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                          I'm still deciding whether or not to bring it on my snow camping
                          trip next weekend. It's supposed to get into the teens, but up in
                          the Sierras the weather can change fast so I want to be prepared for
                          a bit below that.

                          I was thinking about the PeaPod, Exped 7, and JRB No Sniveller.
                          Should keep me nice and toasty below zero. I don't think I'll need
                          a SPE since I have the PeaPod.

                          Or the 3 Season Set and PeaPod would be lighter for below zero, but
                          I don't have anything to lay around on outside (or go to ground with
                          if it gets really bad).

                          I was thinking about a torso-length CCF instead of the DAM, since
                          it's lighter and I can drag it around camp as a sit pad for the snow
                          throne I'm gonna make. But a .5" CCF might not be enough extra
                          insulation and I don't want the extra bulk. Plus it's just not as
                          comfy.

                          What do you guys think?

                          PeaPod, Exped and NS for ~84 oz, or
                          PeaPod, 3 Season Set for ~74 oz?