Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Exped DAM-NOT

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
      Lenny, My current one is 30" wide by 78" long. So I
      would say, Yes, full length.

      I am in San Antonio where we are about to have a
      couple of days with our high temp under 90. It really
      feels nice outside down to about 60 in the morning. I
      should go for a walk.

      Bill
      --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

      > Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock
      > or a shorter one?
      >
      > Lenny (also in Texas)

      > removed]

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
        I really wanted to hang the old hammock out during Rita (Live north of
        Houston a bit), but wife wouldn't have it.

        I can't wait to get under 100 for a few days. Nasty heat, and humidty

        TV
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 30, 2005
          <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
          > I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
          > November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
          > GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
          > Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
          > Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
          > DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
          > problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
          > was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
          > degrees F.
          >
          > My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
          > Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
          > than most.

          Sounds good... I've been following your experiments and reliability
          was my only remaining concern. I'm looking forward to hearing your
          after-trip report.

          Soon, we'll probably have to start telling newbie/wannabe
          hammockcampers to keep their tents--to use for down stuffing!

          I'm currently moving to a place near Sevierville, and can see the
          Smokies from the window of my bedroom.

          Verily I say unto you: There shall be much winter testing.

          Doug Frost
        • BRIAN
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
            Hey everyone,

            My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
            honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
            for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
            now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
            this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
            won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
            praying for cold weather too.

            Brian
            T-BACK
          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>
              wrote:
              > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite!

              Awesome! Which model did you get? You gonna get a SPE or something
              for your shoulders and hips?

              For some reason, I don't have any condensation problems with the Exped
              DAM, even when I'm very warm. CCF gives me a clammy back even when
              I'm cool. It must be the type of covering Exped uses...very
              comfortable.
            • Michael B. Carter
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                Brian,

                I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago, and was as
                comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth the extra
                effort.
                It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.

                Enjoy...

                Michael

                At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                >Hey everyone,
                >
                >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                >praying for cold weather too.
                >
                >Brian
                >T-BACK

                >hammock
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                >food
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                >camping
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                >outdoors
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                >camper
                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                > *

              • J.D. Hoessle
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                  > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                  > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.

                  Comgrats, Brian!

                  I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!

                  Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just fine
                  and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a bit "higher" in
                  the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more. I "discovered"
                  that cold spots were eliminated!

                  > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                  > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                  > praying for cold weather too.

                  ...hehehe!

                  Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just delivered a
                  20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep snow
                  or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing your
                  girl..?

                  Happy Trails,

                  J.D.
                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                    OK guys, I'm jealous. I could use one tonight. I bought a
                    replacement target pad (the 27 x 72 x 3/8) the other day. (gave the
                    old one to the dogs) and found a yoga pad here at the house. This
                    pad is really thin but heavier than the much bigger target pad.
                    It's 20 x 72 by about 1/8. I'm carrying my converted sleeping
                    sleeping bag and plan to put it around my hammock and sleeping on
                    top of that with the pads on top of that. It was too agrivating
                    when I put it in another hammock below me the other night. This
                    will give me about 1.5 inches of down below me unless i can shake
                    more of the down to the bottom. It's 21 here this morning and 23
                    at huntsville on the news. they said tonight would be colder with
                    lows in the upper teens. should be a little cooler 2 hours north of
                    here. Cody has chickend out again so I'll be solo. Makes me a
                    little nervous as I have been to 16 F before but was where i could
                    walk home if needed. I guess i could hike the 6 miles back to the
                    car if needed but the gate will be locked so i hope that dont
                    happen. I'll be in a 5 F sleeping bag I'm testing for BGT so if my
                    underinsulation is good enought I dont forsee any problems. I'll
                    try to get a few pics if my camera dont freeze. I plan to keep it
                    in the bag with me overnight. I'm outa here in a little while so
                    wish me luck.

                    Coy Boy

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                    <carterm@m...> wrote:

                    > Brian,
                    >
                    > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                    > I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago,
                    and was as
                    > comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                    > It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth
                    the extra
                    > effort.
                    > It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.
                    >
                    > Enjoy...
                    >
                    > Michael
                    >
                    > At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                    > >Hey everyone,
                    > >
                    > >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                    > >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                    Thanks
                    > >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try
                    it
                    > >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should
                    drop
                    > >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that
                    she
                    > >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                    she's
                    > >praying for cold weather too.
                    > >
                    > >Brian
                    > >T-BACK

                    t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+campi
                    ng&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlC
                    ZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>Camping
                    > >hammock
                    > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                    w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEz
                    fzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                    > >food
                    > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4
                    =Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXj
                    LyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                    > >camping
                    > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                    w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEI
                    pgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                    > >outdoors
                    > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                    w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8Kw
                    ziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                    > >camper
                    > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=G
                    si+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJ
                    QwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                    > > *

                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                      The world is going to the dogs...

                      I put my dogs in the basement last night. When I let them out this
                      morning Freckls was ready to go. Nelly Sweet Pea sorta looked out
                      side then trotted back over to the bed I made them. I had to walk
                      outside on the frost coverd ground barefooted to get her out...my
                      feet are still cold. I told the wife and kids to put them back up
                      tonight. I need one of those doors that they can go in and out but
                      the flap dont let cold air in all the time.

                      Coy Boy
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN"
                      <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                      > > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from
                      my
                      > > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                      >
                      > Comgrats, Brian!
                      >
                      > I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!
                      >
                      > Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just
                      fine
                      > and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a
                      bit "higher" in
                      > the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more.
                      I "discovered"
                      > that cold spots were eliminated!
                      >
                      > > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                      > > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                      she's
                      > > praying for cold weather too.
                      >
                      > ...hehehe!
                      >
                      > Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just
                      delivered a
                      > 20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep
                      snow
                      > or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing
                      your
                      > girl..?
                      >
                      > Happy Trails,
                      >
                      > J.D.

                    • J.D. Hoessle
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                        <carterm@m...> wrote:
                        > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.

                        Michael- Brian - Slowhike

                        Seems a lot of us are sold on the Exped DAM. Yes, mine is also the
                        Downmat 7 - Long.

                        Mr. Speer, have you considered distributing a "combo" package of the
                        Exped and SPE...?

                        OH, Yeah... The usual Disclaimer that I don't work for either, get no
                        remuneration, etc. Hmmm...? Maybe we should...<g>...!

                        Note: I have found the "Inflation Time" considerably reduced by
                        allowing the DAM to just self-inflate for about 20-30 minutes. Seems
                        to cut the number of "bag-puffs" in half.

                        Happy Trails,

                        J.D.
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                          Brian, Jeff, Tim, Michael

                          The excitement over the Exped DAM is justified. And it sounds like we'll
                          all be using them on our upcoming Mt Mitchell hike! I'll have my 7 short as
                          well as my PeaPod! ..Ed

                          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                          Editor, Hammock Camping News

                          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                          _____

> [...]

                          &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                          &k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                          oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                          >outdoors
                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                          &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                          &k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                          oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy

                          >camper
                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                          food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                          g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>
                          &k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors
                          &w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                          Camping
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                          amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                          105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                          Camping
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                          &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                          Rv
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                          g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                          sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                          Gsi
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                          &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                          Happy
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                          ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                          &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                          Outdoors
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                          food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                          g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                          _____

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                          _____

                        • jwj32542
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                            I'm still deciding whether or not to bring it on my snow camping
                            trip next weekend. It's supposed to get into the teens, but up in
                            the Sierras the weather can change fast so I want to be prepared for
                            a bit below that.

                            I was thinking about the PeaPod, Exped 7, and JRB No Sniveller.
                            Should keep me nice and toasty below zero. I don't think I'll need
                            a SPE since I have the PeaPod.

                            Or the 3 Season Set and PeaPod would be lighter for below zero, but
                            I don't have anything to lay around on outside (or go to ground with
                            if it gets really bad).

                            I was thinking about a torso-length CCF instead of the DAM, since
                            it's lighter and I can drag it around camp as a sit pad for the snow
                            throne I'm gonna make. But a .5" CCF might not be enough extra
                            insulation and I don't want the extra bulk. Plus it's just not as
                            comfy.

                            What do you guys think?

                            PeaPod, Exped and NS for ~84 oz, or
                            PeaPod, 3 Season Set for ~74 oz?