Re: Exped DAM

  • jack_tier
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down
      since
      > > last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches
      and
      > > with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
      > > bottom with 2+ on the sides...
      >
      > DOH! That makes a difference. I guess my overstuff brings mine
      up to
      > that thickness, then.
      >
      > I'll have to add a top blanket, but I'm gonna try to see how cold
      > can get with the underquilts, too.
      >
      > I think I'm going to Yosemite for Columbus weekend...hoping to see
      20F
      > then.
      >
      > > If three + inches on the bottom is your goal
      >
      > Not really a goal, that's just the thickness of the DAM (2.8").
      Using
      > the ORM instead of the two underquilts would save a full pound and
      > about $150, too. (It's just that I already have the Nest/NS combo
      > test.)
      >
      > Thanks for the info. Any idea how cold you could get with the
      Nest/NS
      > on bottom and ORM inside the hammock?

      Nest and No Sniveller on the bottom and Old Rag Mtn took me to 25
      degrees, piece of cake, at SORUCK on the river at NOC 25 Jan 05,
      slept 0001 to 0915 straight thru no nature calls, had a watch cap
      pulled over my eyes so I missed the morning arrival...warm as toast
      could have gone lower easy.

      PS. these were 1.5 inch Nest and NS and 2.5 inch Old Rag Mtn vs the
      current 2+ and 3+ inch thick models.

      jack
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
        Lenny, My current one is 30" wide by 78" long. So I
        would say, Yes, full length.

        I am in San Antonio where we are about to have a
        couple of days with our high temp under 90. It really
        feels nice outside down to about 60 in the morning. I
        should go for a walk.

        Bill
        --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

        > Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock
        > or a shorter one?
        >
        > Lenny (also in Texas)

        > removed]

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
          I really wanted to hang the old hammock out during Rita (Live north of
          Houston a bit), but wife wouldn't have it.

          I can't wait to get under 100 for a few days. Nasty heat, and humidty

          TV
        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 30, 2005
            <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
            > I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
            > November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
            > GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
            > Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
            > Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
            > DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
            > problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
            > was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
            > degrees F.
            >
            > My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
            > Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
            > than most.

            Sounds good... I've been following your experiments and reliability
            was my only remaining concern. I'm looking forward to hearing your
            after-trip report.

            Soon, we'll probably have to start telling newbie/wannabe
            hammockcampers to keep their tents--to use for down stuffing!

            I'm currently moving to a place near Sevierville, and can see the
            Smokies from the window of my bedroom.

            Verily I say unto you: There shall be much winter testing.

            Doug Frost
          • BRIAN
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
              Hey everyone,

              My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
              honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
              for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
              now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
              this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
              won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
              praying for cold weather too.

              Brian
              T-BACK
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>
                wrote:
                > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite!

                Awesome! Which model did you get? You gonna get a SPE or something
                for your shoulders and hips?

                For some reason, I don't have any condensation problems with the Exped
                DAM, even when I'm very warm. CCF gives me a clammy back even when
                I'm cool. It must be the type of covering Exped uses...very
                comfortable.
              • Michael B. Carter
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                  Brian,

                  I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                  I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago, and was as
                  comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                  It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth the extra
                  effort.
                  It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.

                  Enjoy...

                  Michael

                  At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                  >Hey everyone,
                  >
                  >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                  >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                  >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                  >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                  >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                  >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                  >praying for cold weather too.
                  >
                  >Brian
                  >T-BACK

                  >hammock
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                  >food
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                  >camping
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                  >outdoors
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                  >camper
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                  > *

                • J.D. Hoessle
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                    > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                    > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.

                    Comgrats, Brian!

                    I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!

                    Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just fine
                    and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a bit "higher" in
                    the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more. I "discovered"
                    that cold spots were eliminated!

                    > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                    > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                    > praying for cold weather too.

                    ...hehehe!

                    Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just delivered a
                    20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep snow
                    or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing your
                    girl..?

                    Happy Trails,

                    J.D.
                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                      OK guys, I'm jealous. I could use one tonight. I bought a
                      replacement target pad (the 27 x 72 x 3/8) the other day. (gave the
                      old one to the dogs) and found a yoga pad here at the house. This
                      pad is really thin but heavier than the much bigger target pad.
                      It's 20 x 72 by about 1/8. I'm carrying my converted sleeping
                      sleeping bag and plan to put it around my hammock and sleeping on
                      top of that with the pads on top of that. It was too agrivating
                      when I put it in another hammock below me the other night. This
                      will give me about 1.5 inches of down below me unless i can shake
                      more of the down to the bottom. It's 21 here this morning and 23
                      at huntsville on the news. they said tonight would be colder with
                      lows in the upper teens. should be a little cooler 2 hours north of
                      here. Cody has chickend out again so I'll be solo. Makes me a
                      little nervous as I have been to 16 F before but was where i could
                      walk home if needed. I guess i could hike the 6 miles back to the
                      car if needed but the gate will be locked so i hope that dont
                      happen. I'll be in a 5 F sleeping bag I'm testing for BGT so if my
                      underinsulation is good enought I dont forsee any problems. I'll
                      try to get a few pics if my camera dont freeze. I plan to keep it
                      in the bag with me overnight. I'm outa here in a little while so
                      wish me luck.

                      Coy Boy

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                      <carterm@m...> wrote:

                      > Brian,
                      >
                      > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                      > I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago,
                      and was as
                      > comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                      > It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth
                      the extra
                      > effort.
                      > It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.
                      >
                      > Enjoy...
                      >
                      > Michael
                      >
                      > At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                      > >Hey everyone,
                      > >
                      > >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                      > >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                      Thanks
                      > >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try
                      it
                      > >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should
                      drop
                      > >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that
                      she
                      > >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                      she's
                      > >praying for cold weather too.
                      > >
                      > >Brian
                      > >T-BACK

                      t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+campi
                      ng&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlC
                      ZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>Camping
                      > >hammock
                      > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                      w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEz
                      fzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                      > >food
                      > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4
                      =Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXj
                      LyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                      > >camping
                      > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                      w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEI
                      pgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                      > >outdoors
                      > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                      w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8Kw
                      ziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                      > >camper
                      > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=G
                      si+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJ
                      QwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                      > > *

                    • Coy
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                        The world is going to the dogs...

                        I put my dogs in the basement last night. When I let them out this
                        morning Freckls was ready to go. Nelly Sweet Pea sorta looked out
                        side then trotted back over to the bed I made them. I had to walk
                        outside on the frost coverd ground barefooted to get her out...my
                        feet are still cold. I told the wife and kids to put them back up
                        tonight. I need one of those doors that they can go in and out but
                        the flap dont let cold air in all the time.

                        Coy Boy
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                        wrote:

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN"
                        <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                        > > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from
                        my
                        > > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                        >
                        > Comgrats, Brian!
                        >
                        > I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!
                        >
                        > Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just
                        fine
                        > and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a
                        bit "higher" in
                        > the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more.
                        I "discovered"
                        > that cold spots were eliminated!
                        >
                        > > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                        > > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                        she's
                        > > praying for cold weather too.
                        >
                        > ...hehehe!
                        >
                        > Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just
                        delivered a
                        > 20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep
                        snow
                        > or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing
                        your
                        > girl..?
                        >
                        > Happy Trails,
                        >
                        > J.D.

                      • J.D. Hoessle
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                          <carterm@m...> wrote:
                          > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.

                          Michael- Brian - Slowhike

                          Seems a lot of us are sold on the Exped DAM. Yes, mine is also the
                          Downmat 7 - Long.

                          Mr. Speer, have you considered distributing a "combo" package of the
                          Exped and SPE...?

                          OH, Yeah... The usual Disclaimer that I don't work for either, get no
                          remuneration, etc. Hmmm...? Maybe we should...<g>...!

                          Note: I have found the "Inflation Time" considerably reduced by
                          allowing the DAM to just self-inflate for about 20-30 minutes. Seems
                          to cut the number of "bag-puffs" in half.

                          Happy Trails,

                          J.D.
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                            Brian, Jeff, Tim, Michael

                            The excitement over the Exped DAM is justified. And it sounds like we'll
                            all be using them on our upcoming Mt Mitchell hike! I'll have my 7 short as
                            well as my PeaPod! ..Ed

                            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                            Editor, Hammock Camping News

                            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                            _____

> [...]

                            &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                            &k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                            oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                            >outdoors
                            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                            ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                            &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                            &k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                            oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy

                            >camper
                            ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                            food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                            g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>
                            &k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors
                            &w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                            Camping
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                            amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                            105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                            Camping
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                            ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                            &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                            Rv
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                            g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                            sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                            Gsi
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                            ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                            &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                            Happy
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                            ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                            &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                            Outdoors
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                            food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                            g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                            _____

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                            _____

                          • jwj32542
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                              I'm still deciding whether or not to bring it on my snow camping
                              trip next weekend. It's supposed to get into the teens, but up in
                              the Sierras the weather can change fast so I want to be prepared for
                              a bit below that.

                              I was thinking about the PeaPod, Exped 7, and JRB No Sniveller.
                              Should keep me nice and toasty below zero. I don't think I'll need
                              a SPE since I have the PeaPod.

                              Or the 3 Season Set and PeaPod would be lighter for below zero, but
                              I don't have anything to lay around on outside (or go to ground with
                              if it gets really bad).

                              I was thinking about a torso-length CCF instead of the DAM, since
                              it's lighter and I can drag it around camp as a sit pad for the snow
                              throne I'm gonna make. But a .5" CCF might not be enough extra
                              insulation and I don't want the extra bulk. Plus it's just not as
                              comfy.

                              What do you guys think?

                              PeaPod, Exped and NS for ~84 oz, or
                              PeaPod, 3 Season Set for ~74 oz?