Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Exped DAM-NOT

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
      --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> Asked:
      "Have you ever used your homemade DAM on the ground
      and how did it hold up? Being able to reliably
      go-to-ground is one features of the commercial
      models." Doug Frost

      Hi Doug, My DAM started out as just an Air Mattress.
      I slept on it on the ground/floor a lot as I was
      testing various ways to close the open end after I
      inflated the Poly Tubes. The Poly Tubes I use are 2
      mil and are not fragile. The only problem I had was
      when my kittens played on it. I found a few little
      holes that I was able to seal with duct tape. I
      recommend carrying an extra Poly Tube and almost
      everyone carries duct tape.

      I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
      November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
      GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
      Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
      Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
      DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
      problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
      was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
      degrees F.

      My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
      Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
      than most. I have a separate Down hood that can also
      be used if necessary. My Down Top Cover buttons to
      the DAM. Buttons are lighter and easier to attach
      than zippers.

      Bill in Texas - we are having a cold day today - high
      only 89 degrees F.

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
        Not trying to be a smart-aleck at all, here. Maybe find a butcher or a
        meat/fruit processing place with a big freezer... Just an idea.

        Bill in Houston

        > > But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking for somewhere 4-
        > 5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F. Any suggestions?
      • Lenny Nichols
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
          Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock or a shorter one?

          Lenny (also in Texas)

        • jack_tier
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
            > wrote:
            > > The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down
            since
            > > last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches
            and
            > > with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
            > > bottom with 2+ on the sides...
            >
            > DOH! That makes a difference. I guess my overstuff brings mine
            up to
            > that thickness, then.
            >
            > I'll have to add a top blanket, but I'm gonna try to see how cold
            > can get with the underquilts, too.
            >
            > I think I'm going to Yosemite for Columbus weekend...hoping to see
            20F
            > then.
            >
            > > If three + inches on the bottom is your goal
            >
            > Not really a goal, that's just the thickness of the DAM (2.8").
            Using
            > the ORM instead of the two underquilts would save a full pound and
            > about $150, too. (It's just that I already have the Nest/NS combo
            > test.)
            >
            > Thanks for the info. Any idea how cold you could get with the
            Nest/NS
            > on bottom and ORM inside the hammock?

            Nest and No Sniveller on the bottom and Old Rag Mtn took me to 25
            degrees, piece of cake, at SORUCK on the river at NOC 25 Jan 05,
            slept 0001 to 0915 straight thru no nature calls, had a watch cap
            pulled over my eyes so I missed the morning arrival...warm as toast
            could have gone lower easy.

            PS. these were 1.5 inch Nest and NS and 2.5 inch Old Rag Mtn vs the
            current 2+ and 3+ inch thick models.

            jack
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
              Lenny, My current one is 30" wide by 78" long. So I
              would say, Yes, full length.

              I am in San Antonio where we are about to have a
              couple of days with our high temp under 90. It really
              feels nice outside down to about 60 in the morning. I
              should go for a walk.

              Bill
              --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

              > Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock
              > or a shorter one?
              >
              > Lenny (also in Texas)

              > removed]

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Thomas Vickers
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                I really wanted to hang the old hammock out during Rita (Live north of
                Houston a bit), but wife wouldn't have it.

                I can't wait to get under 100 for a few days. Nasty heat, and humidty

                TV
              • dlfrost_1
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 30, 2005
                  <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                  > I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
                  > November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
                  > GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
                  > Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
                  > Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
                  > DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
                  > problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
                  > was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
                  > degrees F.
                  >
                  > My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
                  > Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
                  > than most.

                  Sounds good... I've been following your experiments and reliability
                  was my only remaining concern. I'm looking forward to hearing your
                  after-trip report.

                  Soon, we'll probably have to start telling newbie/wannabe
                  hammockcampers to keep their tents--to use for down stuffing!

                  I'm currently moving to a place near Sevierville, and can see the
                  Smokies from the window of my bedroom.

                  Verily I say unto you: There shall be much winter testing.

                  Doug Frost
                • BRIAN
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
                    Hey everyone,

                    My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                    honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                    for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                    now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                    this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                    won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                    praying for cold weather too.

                    Brian
                    T-BACK
                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>
                      wrote:
                      > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite!

                      Awesome! Which model did you get? You gonna get a SPE or something
                      for your shoulders and hips?

                      For some reason, I don't have any condensation problems with the Exped
                      DAM, even when I'm very warm. CCF gives me a clammy back even when
                      I'm cool. It must be the type of covering Exped uses...very
                      comfortable.
                    • Michael B. Carter
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                        Brian,

                        I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                        I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago, and was as
                        comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                        It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth the extra
                        effort.
                        It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.

                        Enjoy...

                        Michael

                        At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                        >Hey everyone,
                        >
                        >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                        >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                        >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                        >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                        >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                        >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                        >praying for cold weather too.
                        >
                        >Brian
                        >T-BACK

                        >hammock
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                        >food
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                        >camping
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                        >outdoors
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                        >camper
                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                        > *

                      • J.D. Hoessle
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                          > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                          > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.

                          Comgrats, Brian!

                          I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!

                          Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just fine
                          and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a bit "higher" in
                          the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more. I "discovered"
                          that cold spots were eliminated!

                          > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                          > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                          > praying for cold weather too.

                          ...hehehe!

                          Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just delivered a
                          20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep snow
                          or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing your
                          girl..?

                          Happy Trails,

                          J.D.
                        • Coy
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                            OK guys, I'm jealous. I could use one tonight. I bought a
                            replacement target pad (the 27 x 72 x 3/8) the other day. (gave the
                            old one to the dogs) and found a yoga pad here at the house. This
                            pad is really thin but heavier than the much bigger target pad.
                            It's 20 x 72 by about 1/8. I'm carrying my converted sleeping
                            sleeping bag and plan to put it around my hammock and sleeping on
                            top of that with the pads on top of that. It was too agrivating
                            when I put it in another hammock below me the other night. This
                            will give me about 1.5 inches of down below me unless i can shake
                            more of the down to the bottom. It's 21 here this morning and 23
                            at huntsville on the news. they said tonight would be colder with
                            lows in the upper teens. should be a little cooler 2 hours north of
                            here. Cody has chickend out again so I'll be solo. Makes me a
                            little nervous as I have been to 16 F before but was where i could
                            walk home if needed. I guess i could hike the 6 miles back to the
                            car if needed but the gate will be locked so i hope that dont
                            happen. I'll be in a 5 F sleeping bag I'm testing for BGT so if my
                            underinsulation is good enought I dont forsee any problems. I'll
                            try to get a few pics if my camera dont freeze. I plan to keep it
                            in the bag with me overnight. I'm outa here in a little while so
                            wish me luck.

                            Coy Boy

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                            <carterm@m...> wrote:

                            > Brian,
                            >
                            > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                            > I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago,
                            and was as
                            > comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                            > It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth
                            the extra
                            > effort.
                            > It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.
                            >
                            > Enjoy...
                            >
                            > Michael
                            >
                            > At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                            > >Hey everyone,
                            > >
                            > >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                            > >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                            Thanks
                            > >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try
                            it
                            > >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should
                            drop
                            > >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that
                            she
                            > >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                            she's
                            > >praying for cold weather too.
                            > >
                            > >Brian
                            > >T-BACK

                            t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+campi
                            ng&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlC
                            ZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>Camping
                            > >hammock
                            > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                            w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEz
                            fzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                            > >food
                            > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4
                            =Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXj
                            LyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                            > >camping
                            > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                            w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEI
                            pgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                            > >outdoors
                            > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                            w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8Kw
                            ziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                            > >camper
                            > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=G
                            si+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJ
                            QwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                            > > *

                          • Coy
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                              The world is going to the dogs...

                              I put my dogs in the basement last night. When I let them out this
                              morning Freckls was ready to go. Nelly Sweet Pea sorta looked out
                              side then trotted back over to the bed I made them. I had to walk
                              outside on the frost coverd ground barefooted to get her out...my
                              feet are still cold. I told the wife and kids to put them back up
                              tonight. I need one of those doors that they can go in and out but
                              the flap dont let cold air in all the time.

                              Coy Boy
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                              wrote:

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN"
                              <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                              > > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from
                              my
                              > > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                              >
                              > Comgrats, Brian!
                              >
                              > I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!
                              >
                              > Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just
                              fine
                              > and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a
                              bit "higher" in
                              > the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more.
                              I "discovered"
                              > that cold spots were eliminated!
                              >
                              > > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                              > > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                              she's
                              > > praying for cold weather too.
                              >
                              > ...hehehe!
                              >
                              > Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just
                              delivered a
                              > 20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep
                              snow
                              > or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing
                              your
                              > girl..?
                              >
                              > Happy Trails,
                              >
                              > J.D.

                            • J.D. Hoessle
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                <carterm@m...> wrote:
                                > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.

                                Michael- Brian - Slowhike

                                Seems a lot of us are sold on the Exped DAM. Yes, mine is also the
                                Downmat 7 - Long.

                                Mr. Speer, have you considered distributing a "combo" package of the
                                Exped and SPE...?

                                OH, Yeah... The usual Disclaimer that I don't work for either, get no
                                remuneration, etc. Hmmm...? Maybe we should...<g>...!

                                Note: I have found the "Inflation Time" considerably reduced by
                                allowing the DAM to just self-inflate for about 20-30 minutes. Seems
                                to cut the number of "bag-puffs" in half.

                                Happy Trails,

                                J.D.
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                  Brian, Jeff, Tim, Michael

                                  The excitement over the Exped DAM is justified. And it sounds like we'll
                                  all be using them on our upcoming Mt Mitchell hike! I'll have my 7 short as
                                  well as my PeaPod! ..Ed

                                  Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                                  Editor, Hammock Camping News

                                  Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                                  _____

> [...]

                                  &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                                  &k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                  oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                  >outdoors
                                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                  ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                  &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                                  &k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                  oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy

                                  >camper
                                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                  food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                  g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>
                                  &k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors
                                  &w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                  Camping
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                                  amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                                  105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                                  Camping
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                  ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                  &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                                  Rv
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                                  g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                                  sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                                  Gsi
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                  ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                  &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                                  Happy
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                  ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                  &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                                  Outdoors
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                                  food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                  g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                                  _____

                                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                                  _____

                                • jwj32542
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                    I'm still deciding whether or not to bring it on my snow camping
                                    trip next weekend. It's supposed to get into the teens, but up in
                                    the Sierras the weather can change fast so I want to be prepared for
                                    a bit below that.

                                    I was thinking about the PeaPod, Exped 7, and JRB No Sniveller.
                                    Should keep me nice and toasty below zero. I don't think I'll need
                                    a SPE since I have the PeaPod.

                                    Or the 3 Season Set and PeaPod would be lighter for below zero, but
                                    I don't have anything to lay around on outside (or go to ground with
                                    if it gets really bad).

                                    I was thinking about a torso-length CCF instead of the DAM, since
                                    it's lighter and I can drag it around camp as a sit pad for the snow
                                    throne I'm gonna make. But a .5" CCF might not be enough extra
                                    insulation and I don't want the extra bulk. Plus it's just not as
                                    comfy.

                                    What do you guys think?

                                    PeaPod, Exped and NS for ~84 oz, or
                                    PeaPod, 3 Season Set for ~74 oz?