RE: [Hammock Camping] sewing machine

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
      Marta, I got your check today! What a nice surprise! Thanks for being so
      thoughtful...Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1 8:54 PM
        Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?

        http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000

        --
        Scott A. Macri
        Trail Name: Mowgli

      • RevT
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1 9:30 PM
          Probably not the greatest, but for that price who cares. I'm borrowing a
          Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to punch through all the layers
          of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the ends. I have to get a
          running start at it.

          Brian

          On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?
          >
          > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
          >
          > --

        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1 9:44 PM
            You might try using what is called a "Denim" neddle.
            Thinner, sharper and stronger.
            Bill in Texas

            --- RevT <brian.tannehill@...> wrote:

            > Probably not the greatest, but for that price who
            > cares. I'm borrowing a
            > Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to
            > punch through all the layers
            > of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the
            > ends. I have to get a
            > running start at it.
            >
            > Brian
            >
            > On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother
            > LS2125) is any good?

            http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000

            > > --

            > removed]

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Keith
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1 10:13 PM
              I'm borrowing a Brother VX1120...it's done great so far. I've had it
              run through 3-4 layers of pack cloth (almost as thick as Cordura),
              PLUS a thick MI webbing strap. Works great.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...>
              wrote:

              > You might try using what is called a "Denim" neddle.
              > Thinner, sharper and stronger.
              > Bill in Texas
              >
              > --- RevT <brian.tannehill@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Probably not the greatest, but for that price who
              > > cares. I'm borrowing a
              > > Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to
              > > punch through all the layers
              > > of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the
              > > ends. I have to get a
              > > running start at it.
              > >
              > > Brian
              > >
              > > On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother
              > > LS2125) is any good?
              > > >

              > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
              > > >
              > > > --

              > > removed]

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • sebastiantoney
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2 6:57 AM
                I have this sewing machine. I bought mine from Wal-Mart. I hate it.
                But it's a good machine to start with.

                I needed something with more power and better mechanics. So I bought
                an old Necchi:
                http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/284/1537/1024/Necchi%20Super%20Mod.jpg

                This thing runs like a mountain goat. It's smooth, quiet and that big
                balance wheel makes for low gearing, and the guy installed a more
                powerful motor; it plows through anything.

                So get the CheapMart machine to start with, then buy a real sewing
                machine later.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                wrote:

                > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?
                >
                > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
                >
                > --
                > Scott A. Macri
                > Trail Name: Mowgli
                > www.HikeHaven.com
                > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

              • Joe Federici
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3 9:37 AM
                  I've got a CG 550 singer I'm getting ready to put on ebay. It's about 5
                  months old and I've got everything including the box. I'm only selling
                  it as I just got my grandmothers Bernina and I just have no need for
                  two similar units. I paid 300.00 for it and would take 200.00 plus
                  shipping. I've also got a few extra's like needles, bobbins and a cone
                  spool holder that I would throw in. This may be a bit more then a
                  walmart but you get what you pay for. Singers a good name and this is
                  strong unit.

                  you can google it and find all kinds of info I've also added a link.
                  If interested I just took some pictures I can email.

                  More http://www.singernj.com/singer_cg550.html

                  JFF

                  On Aug 1, 2006, at 11:54 PM, Scott Macri wrote:

                  Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?

                  http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000

                  --
                  Scott A. Macri
                  Trail Name: Mowgli
                  www.HikeHaven.com
                  http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

                • Rat
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3 8:14 PM
                    I have an old (1953) Alco I use for my heavies. I think I could sew
                    a car door with it. I love my old metal machine. But, I use my wifes
                    Brother for finer stitching. Not because it is better, but it is
                    easier to have two machines set up so I don't hafta keep switching
                    over needles and thread.

                    The Brother is an XL-3100. Not a bad machine really, especially for
                    the light stuff we use.

                    Rat

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici