Re: [Hammock Camping] sewing machine

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
      How many do you need? ;-)

      With rave reviews like that, Diane should soon be pleased to get rid of
      the pile of boxes in her living room.

      Seriously, Thanks Marta. It was quite nice meeting you in person,
      taking a day hike with you and then meeting your son.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
        Marta, I got your check today! What a nice surprise! Thanks for being so
        thoughtful...Ed

        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

        Editor, Hammock Camping News

        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

        _____

        I was in Costco yesterday and noticed that they had Brother sewing
        machines for $199.99. I don't need a machine (my late-60's Viking is
        still going strong) but that's a pretty good price for someone who
        thinks they might want to learn to sew.

        Marta

        PS--Rick's book is terrific! It's going to be on my short list
        of "things to give hikers for birthdays and holidays."

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "hammockcamping

        _____

      • Scott Macri
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1 8:54 PM
          Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?

          http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000

          --
          Scott A. Macri
          Trail Name: Mowgli

        • RevT
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1 9:30 PM
            Probably not the greatest, but for that price who cares. I'm borrowing a
            Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to punch through all the layers
            of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the ends. I have to get a
            running start at it.

            Brian

            On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?
            >
            > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
            >
            > --

          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1 9:44 PM
              You might try using what is called a "Denim" neddle.
              Thinner, sharper and stronger.
              Bill in Texas

              --- RevT <brian.tannehill@...> wrote:

              > Probably not the greatest, but for that price who
              > cares. I'm borrowing a
              > Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to
              > punch through all the layers
              > of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the
              > ends. I have to get a
              > running start at it.
              >
              > Brian
              >
              > On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother
              > LS2125) is any good?

              http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000

              > > --

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Keith
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1 10:13 PM
                I'm borrowing a Brother VX1120...it's done great so far. I've had it
                run through 3-4 layers of pack cloth (almost as thick as Cordura),
                PLUS a thick MI webbing strap. Works great.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...>
                wrote:

                > You might try using what is called a "Denim" neddle.
                > Thinner, sharper and stronger.
                > Bill in Texas
                >
                > --- RevT <brian.tannehill@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Probably not the greatest, but for that price who
                > > cares. I'm borrowing a
                > > Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to
                > > punch through all the layers
                > > of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the
                > > ends. I have to get a
                > > running start at it.
                > >
                > > Brian
                > >
                > > On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother
                > > LS2125) is any good?
                > > >

                > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
                > > >
                > > > --

                > > removed]

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • sebastiantoney
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2 6:57 AM
                  I have this sewing machine. I bought mine from Wal-Mart. I hate it.
                  But it's a good machine to start with.

                  I needed something with more power and better mechanics. So I bought
                  an old Necchi:
                  http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/284/1537/1024/Necchi%20Super%20Mod.jpg

                  This thing runs like a mountain goat. It's smooth, quiet and that big
                  balance wheel makes for low gearing, and the guy installed a more
                  powerful motor; it plows through anything.

                  So get the CheapMart machine to start with, then buy a real sewing
                  machine later.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?
                  >
                  > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
                  >
                  > --
                  > Scott A. Macri
                  > Trail Name: Mowgli
                  > www.HikeHaven.com
                  > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

                • Joe Federici
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3 9:37 AM
                    I've got a CG 550 singer I'm getting ready to put on ebay. It's about 5
                    months old and I've got everything including the box. I'm only selling
                    it as I just got my grandmothers Bernina and I just have no need for
                    two similar units. I paid 300.00 for it and would take 200.00 plus
                    shipping. I've also got a few extra's like needles, bobbins and a cone
                    spool holder that I would throw in. This may be a bit more then a
                    walmart but you get what you pay for. Singers a good name and this is
                    strong unit.

                    you can google it and find all kinds of info I've also added a link.
                    If interested I just took some pictures I can email.

                    More http://www.singernj.com/singer_cg550.html

                    JFF

                    On Aug 1, 2006, at 11:54 PM, Scott Macri wrote:

                    Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?

                    http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000

                    --
                    Scott A. Macri
                    Trail Name: Mowgli
                    www.HikeHaven.com
                    http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

                  • Rat
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3 8:14 PM
                      I have an old (1953) Alco I use for my heavies. I think I could sew
                      a car door with it. I love my old metal machine. But, I use my wifes
                      Brother for finer stitching. Not because it is better, but it is
                      easier to have two machines set up so I don't hafta keep switching
                      over needles and thread.

                      The Brother is an XL-3100. Not a bad machine really, especially for
                      the light stuff we use.

                      Rat

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici