sewing machine

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
      I was in Costco yesterday and noticed that they had Brother sewing
      machines for $199.99. I don't need a machine (my late-60's Viking is
      still going strong) but that's a pretty good price for someone who
      thinks they might want to learn to sew.

      Marta

      PS--Rick's book is terrific! It's going to be on my short list
      of "things to give hikers for birthdays and holidays."
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
        How many do you need? ;-)

        With rave reviews like that, Diane should soon be pleased to get rid of
        the pile of boxes in her living room.

        Seriously, Thanks Marta. It was quite nice meeting you in person,
        taking a day hike with you and then meeting your son.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
          Marta, I got your check today! What a nice surprise! Thanks for being so
          thoughtful...Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Editor, Hammock Camping News

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          _____

          I was in Costco yesterday and noticed that they had Brother sewing
          machines for $199.99. I don't need a machine (my late-60's Viking is
          still going strong) but that's a pretty good price for someone who
          thinks they might want to learn to sew.

          Marta

          PS--Rick's book is terrific! It's going to be on my short list
          of "things to give hikers for birthdays and holidays."

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "hammockcamping

          _____

        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1 8:54 PM
            Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?

            http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000

            --
            Scott A. Macri
            Trail Name: Mowgli

          • RevT
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1 9:30 PM
              Probably not the greatest, but for that price who cares. I'm borrowing a
              Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to punch through all the layers
              of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the ends. I have to get a
              running start at it.

              Brian

              On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?
              >
              > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
              >
              > --

            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1 9:44 PM
                You might try using what is called a "Denim" neddle.
                Thinner, sharper and stronger.
                Bill in Texas

                --- RevT <brian.tannehill@...> wrote:

                > Probably not the greatest, but for that price who
                > cares. I'm borrowing a
                > Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to
                > punch through all the layers
                > of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the
                > ends. I have to get a
                > running start at it.
                >
                > Brian
                >
                > On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother
                > LS2125) is any good?

                http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000

                > > --

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Keith
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1 10:13 PM
                  I'm borrowing a Brother VX1120...it's done great so far. I've had it
                  run through 3-4 layers of pack cloth (almost as thick as Cordura),
                  PLUS a thick MI webbing strap. Works great.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...>
                  wrote:

                  > You might try using what is called a "Denim" neddle.
                  > Thinner, sharper and stronger.
                  > Bill in Texas
                  >
                  > --- RevT <brian.tannehill@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Probably not the greatest, but for that price who
                  > > cares. I'm borrowing a
                  > > Brother XL 3100 and it doesnt have the power to
                  > > punch through all the layers
                  > > of my homemade hammock when I accordian fold the
                  > > ends. I have to get a
                  > > running start at it.
                  > >
                  > > Brian
                  > >
                  > > On 8/1/06, Scott Macri <hacktorious@...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother
                  > > LS2125) is any good?
                  > > >

                  > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
                  > > >
                  > > > --

                  > > removed]

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • sebastiantoney
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2 6:57 AM
                    I have this sewing machine. I bought mine from Wal-Mart. I hate it.
                    But it's a good machine to start with.

                    I needed something with more power and better mechanics. So I bought
                    an old Necchi:
                    http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/284/1537/1024/Necchi%20Super%20Mod.jpg

                    This thing runs like a mountain goat. It's smooth, quiet and that big
                    balance wheel makes for low gearing, and the guy installed a more
                    powerful motor; it plows through anything.

                    So get the CheapMart machine to start with, then buy a real sewing
                    machine later.

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?
                    >
                    > http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000
                    >
                    > --
                    > Scott A. Macri
                    > Trail Name: Mowgli
                    > www.HikeHaven.com
                    > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

                  • Joe Federici
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3 9:37 AM
                      I've got a CG 550 singer I'm getting ready to put on ebay. It's about 5
                      months old and I've got everything including the box. I'm only selling
                      it as I just got my grandmothers Bernina and I just have no need for
                      two similar units. I paid 300.00 for it and would take 200.00 plus
                      shipping. I've also got a few extra's like needles, bobbins and a cone
                      spool holder that I would throw in. This may be a bit more then a
                      walmart but you get what you pay for. Singers a good name and this is
                      strong unit.

                      you can google it and find all kinds of info I've also added a link.
                      If interested I just took some pictures I can email.

                      More http://www.singernj.com/singer_cg550.html

                      JFF

                      On Aug 1, 2006, at 11:54 PM, Scott Macri wrote:

                      Does anyone know if this sewing machine (Brother LS2125) is any good?

                      http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1553000

                      --
                      Scott A. Macri
                      Trail Name: Mowgli
                      www.HikeHaven.com
                      http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

                    • Rat
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3 8:14 PM
                        I have an old (1953) Alco I use for my heavies. I think I could sew
                        a car door with it. I love my old metal machine. But, I use my wifes
                        Brother for finer stitching. Not because it is better, but it is
                        easier to have two machines set up so I don't hafta keep switching
                        over needles and thread.

                        The Brother is an XL-3100. Not a bad machine really, especially for
                        the light stuff we use.

                        Rat

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici