Re: Exped DAM-NOT

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
      <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
      > The reason I bought the Warmlite DAM was because it
      > was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy
      > to blow up. When you do it right. My Warmlite DAM
      > takes about 14 bags of air which takes less than a
      > minute to blow up. The best way to blow it up is with
      > it in the Hammock. If I tell you anymore everyone will
      > want one and then everyone will find out the simple
      > secret of being warm in a Hammock is with a DAM. Then
      > I made my own DAM and everything got lighter, cheaper
      > and better.
      [...]
      > The only true way to build a cold weather hammock
      > system. Under you if you use "Down - Air = DAM" less
      > weight than Pads and less volume.

      The lower the temps go below freezing the more efficient DAMs are
      relative to other systems. My suspicion with the Warmlite DAM is
      that the extra shoulder width wrapping around you tends to squeeze
      the down in your bag or quilt. Also, the Exped DAMs come in
      differing thicknesses if the largest one rides ya too high.

      Have you ever used your homemade DAM on the ground and how did it
      hold up? Being able to reliably go-to-ground is one of the safety
      features of the commercial models.

      Doug Frost
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
        --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> Asked:
        "Have you ever used your homemade DAM on the ground
        and how did it hold up? Being able to reliably
        go-to-ground is one features of the commercial
        models." Doug Frost

        Hi Doug, My DAM started out as just an Air Mattress.
        I slept on it on the ground/floor a lot as I was
        testing various ways to close the open end after I
        inflated the Poly Tubes. The Poly Tubes I use are 2
        mil and are not fragile. The only problem I had was
        when my kittens played on it. I found a few little
        holes that I was able to seal with duct tape. I
        recommend carrying an extra Poly Tube and almost
        everyone carries duct tape.

        I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
        November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
        GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
        Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
        Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
        DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
        problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
        was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
        degrees F.

        My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
        Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
        than most. I have a separate Down hood that can also
        be used if necessary. My Down Top Cover buttons to
        the DAM. Buttons are lighter and easier to attach
        than zippers.

        Bill in Texas - we are having a cold day today - high
        only 89 degrees F.

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
          Not trying to be a smart-aleck at all, here. Maybe find a butcher or a
          meat/fruit processing place with a big freezer... Just an idea.

          Bill in Houston

          > > But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking for somewhere 4-
          > 5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F. Any suggestions?
        • Lenny Nichols
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
            Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock or a shorter one?

            Lenny (also in Texas)

          • jack_tier
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
              > wrote:
              > > The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down
              since
              > > last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches
              and
              > > with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
              > > bottom with 2+ on the sides...
              >
              > DOH! That makes a difference. I guess my overstuff brings mine
              up to
              > that thickness, then.
              >
              > I'll have to add a top blanket, but I'm gonna try to see how cold
              > can get with the underquilts, too.
              >
              > I think I'm going to Yosemite for Columbus weekend...hoping to see
              20F
              > then.
              >
              > > If three + inches on the bottom is your goal
              >
              > Not really a goal, that's just the thickness of the DAM (2.8").
              Using
              > the ORM instead of the two underquilts would save a full pound and
              > about $150, too. (It's just that I already have the Nest/NS combo
              > test.)
              >
              > Thanks for the info. Any idea how cold you could get with the
              Nest/NS
              > on bottom and ORM inside the hammock?

              Nest and No Sniveller on the bottom and Old Rag Mtn took me to 25
              degrees, piece of cake, at SORUCK on the river at NOC 25 Jan 05,
              slept 0001 to 0915 straight thru no nature calls, had a watch cap
              pulled over my eyes so I missed the morning arrival...warm as toast
              could have gone lower easy.

              PS. these were 1.5 inch Nest and NS and 2.5 inch Old Rag Mtn vs the
              current 2+ and 3+ inch thick models.

              jack
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                Lenny, My current one is 30" wide by 78" long. So I
                would say, Yes, full length.

                I am in San Antonio where we are about to have a
                couple of days with our high temp under 90. It really
                feels nice outside down to about 60 in the morning. I
                should go for a walk.

                Bill
                --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

                > Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock
                > or a shorter one?
                >
                > Lenny (also in Texas)

                > removed]

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Thomas Vickers
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                  I really wanted to hang the old hammock out during Rita (Live north of
                  Houston a bit), but wife wouldn't have it.

                  I can't wait to get under 100 for a few days. Nasty heat, and humidty

                  TV
                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 30, 2005
                    <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                    > I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
                    > November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
                    > GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
                    > Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
                    > Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
                    > DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
                    > problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
                    > was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
                    > degrees F.
                    >
                    > My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
                    > Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
                    > than most.

                    Sounds good... I've been following your experiments and reliability
                    was my only remaining concern. I'm looking forward to hearing your
                    after-trip report.

                    Soon, we'll probably have to start telling newbie/wannabe
                    hammockcampers to keep their tents--to use for down stuffing!

                    I'm currently moving to a place near Sevierville, and can see the
                    Smokies from the window of my bedroom.

                    Verily I say unto you: There shall be much winter testing.

                    Doug Frost
                  • BRIAN
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
                      Hey everyone,

                      My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                      honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                      for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                      now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                      this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                      won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                      praying for cold weather too.

                      Brian
                      T-BACK
                    • jwj32542
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>
                        wrote:
                        > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite!

                        Awesome! Which model did you get? You gonna get a SPE or something
                        for your shoulders and hips?

                        For some reason, I don't have any condensation problems with the Exped
                        DAM, even when I'm very warm. CCF gives me a clammy back even when
                        I'm cool. It must be the type of covering Exped uses...very
                        comfortable.
                      • Michael B. Carter
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                          Brian,

                          I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                          I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago, and was as
                          comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                          It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth the extra
                          effort.
                          It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.

                          Enjoy...

                          Michael

                          At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                          >Hey everyone,
                          >
                          >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                          >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                          >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                          >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                          >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                          >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                          >praying for cold weather too.
                          >
                          >Brian
                          >T-BACK

                          >hammock
                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                          >food
                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                          >camping
                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                          >outdoors
                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                          >camper
                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                          > *

                        • J.D. Hoessle
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                            > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                            > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.

                            Comgrats, Brian!

                            I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!

                            Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just fine
                            and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a bit "higher" in
                            the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more. I "discovered"
                            that cold spots were eliminated!

                            > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                            > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                            > praying for cold weather too.

                            ...hehehe!

                            Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just delivered a
                            20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep snow
                            or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing your
                            girl..?

                            Happy Trails,

                            J.D.
                          • Coy
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                              OK guys, I'm jealous. I could use one tonight. I bought a
                              replacement target pad (the 27 x 72 x 3/8) the other day. (gave the
                              old one to the dogs) and found a yoga pad here at the house. This
                              pad is really thin but heavier than the much bigger target pad.
                              It's 20 x 72 by about 1/8. I'm carrying my converted sleeping
                              sleeping bag and plan to put it around my hammock and sleeping on
                              top of that with the pads on top of that. It was too agrivating
                              when I put it in another hammock below me the other night. This
                              will give me about 1.5 inches of down below me unless i can shake
                              more of the down to the bottom. It's 21 here this morning and 23
                              at huntsville on the news. they said tonight would be colder with
                              lows in the upper teens. should be a little cooler 2 hours north of
                              here. Cody has chickend out again so I'll be solo. Makes me a
                              little nervous as I have been to 16 F before but was where i could
                              walk home if needed. I guess i could hike the 6 miles back to the
                              car if needed but the gate will be locked so i hope that dont
                              happen. I'll be in a 5 F sleeping bag I'm testing for BGT so if my
                              underinsulation is good enought I dont forsee any problems. I'll
                              try to get a few pics if my camera dont freeze. I plan to keep it
                              in the bag with me overnight. I'm outa here in a little while so
                              wish me luck.

                              Coy Boy

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                              <carterm@m...> wrote:

                              > Brian,
                              >
                              > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                              > I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago,
                              and was as
                              > comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                              > It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth
                              the extra
                              > effort.
                              > It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.
                              >
                              > Enjoy...
                              >
                              > Michael
                              >
                              > At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                              > >Hey everyone,
                              > >
                              > >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                              > >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                              Thanks
                              > >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try
                              it
                              > >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should
                              drop
                              > >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that
                              she
                              > >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                              she's
                              > >praying for cold weather too.
                              > >
                              > >Brian
                              > >T-BACK

                              t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+campi
                              ng&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlC
                              ZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>Camping
                              > >hammock
                              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                              w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEz
                              fzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                              > >food
                              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4
                              =Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXj
                              LyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                              > >camping
                              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                              w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEI
                              pgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                              > >outdoors
                              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                              w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8Kw
                              ziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                              > >camper
                              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=G
                              si+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJ
                              QwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                              > > *

                            • Coy
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                The world is going to the dogs...

                                I put my dogs in the basement last night. When I let them out this
                                morning Freckls was ready to go. Nelly Sweet Pea sorta looked out
                                side then trotted back over to the bed I made them. I had to walk
                                outside on the frost coverd ground barefooted to get her out...my
                                feet are still cold. I told the wife and kids to put them back up
                                tonight. I need one of those doors that they can go in and out but
                                the flap dont let cold air in all the time.

                                Coy Boy
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                                wrote:

                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN"
                                <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                                > > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from
                                my
                                > > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                                >
                                > Comgrats, Brian!
                                >
                                > I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!
                                >
                                > Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just
                                fine
                                > and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a
                                bit "higher" in
                                > the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more.
                                I "discovered"
                                > that cold spots were eliminated!
                                >
                                > > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                > > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                                she's
                                > > praying for cold weather too.
                                >
                                > ...hehehe!
                                >
                                > Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just
                                delivered a
                                > 20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep
                                snow
                                > or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing
                                your
                                > girl..?
                                >
                                > Happy Trails,
                                >
                                > J.D.

                              • J.D. Hoessle
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                  <carterm@m...> wrote:
                                  > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.

                                  Michael- Brian - Slowhike

                                  Seems a lot of us are sold on the Exped DAM. Yes, mine is also the
                                  Downmat 7 - Long.

                                  Mr. Speer, have you considered distributing a "combo" package of the
                                  Exped and SPE...?

                                  OH, Yeah... The usual Disclaimer that I don't work for either, get no
                                  remuneration, etc. Hmmm...? Maybe we should...<g>...!

                                  Note: I have found the "Inflation Time" considerably reduced by
                                  allowing the DAM to just self-inflate for about 20-30 minutes. Seems
                                  to cut the number of "bag-puffs" in half.

                                  Happy Trails,

                                  J.D.
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                    Brian, Jeff, Tim, Michael

                                    The excitement over the Exped DAM is justified. And it sounds like we'll
                                    all be using them on our upcoming Mt Mitchell hike! I'll have my 7 short as
                                    well as my PeaPod! ..Ed

                                    Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                                    Editor, Hammock Camping News

                                    Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                                    _____

> [...]

                                    &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                                    &k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                    oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                    >outdoors
                                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                    ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                    &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                                    &k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                    oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy

                                    >camper
                                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                    food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                    g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>
                                    &k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors
                                    &w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                    Camping
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                                    amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                                    105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                                    Camping
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                    ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                    &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                                    Rv
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                                    g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                                    sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                                    Gsi
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                    ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                    &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                                    Happy
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                    ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                    &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                                    Outdoors
                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                                    food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                    g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                                    _____

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                    * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                                    _____

                                  • jwj32542
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                      I'm still deciding whether or not to bring it on my snow camping
                                      trip next weekend. It's supposed to get into the teens, but up in
                                      the Sierras the weather can change fast so I want to be prepared for
                                      a bit below that.

                                      I was thinking about the PeaPod, Exped 7, and JRB No Sniveller.
                                      Should keep me nice and toasty below zero. I don't think I'll need
                                      a SPE since I have the PeaPod.

                                      Or the 3 Season Set and PeaPod would be lighter for below zero, but
                                      I don't have anything to lay around on outside (or go to ground with
                                      if it gets really bad).

                                      I was thinking about a torso-length CCF instead of the DAM, since
                                      it's lighter and I can drag it around camp as a sit pad for the snow
                                      throne I'm gonna make. But a .5" CCF might not be enough extra
                                      insulation and I don't want the extra bulk. Plus it's just not as
                                      comfy.

                                      What do you guys think?

                                      PeaPod, Exped and NS for ~84 oz, or
                                      PeaPod, 3 Season Set for ~74 oz?