D.A.M. vs Underquilt - Why Choose?

  • Dylan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2005
      Ok, I will be the first to admit that I am not an expert on DAM's as
      I had not considered one, and have been working on my own design for
      an underquilt while reading all the posts. It is very likely then
      that I missed something along the way, however, I do remember someone
      made a 14 oz DAM at home, and all the pictures I can find on here or
      elsewhere on the web look like all a DAM is a baffled sheet that is
      air tight right?

      Here's my thought then, why can't an underquilt have some or all of
      it's baffles made air tight. When you are hanging, it can be slung
      underneath and the valves left open so that it conforms just like any
      other underquilt. When conditions force you to go to ground, then
      simply inflate the baffles, close the valves, and voila, instant
      ground pad. If not all of the quilt inflated, the soft edge baffles
      could be made with velcro to attach to an overquilt and it would
      function as a sleeping bag, with the edges overlapping and preventing
      drafts. I was all set to order my material from Thru-hiker when this
      idea occured. I realize that this would be heavier than a non-
      inflatable underquilt, but as my design seemed like it was going to
      be 16-17 oz, I would not be opposed to going up to or slightly over
      the weight of a Jacks nest if I got even greater flexability out of
      it.

      What does anyone think? Would this work? Am I nuts for trying? If
      you think so, what does one make the air tight chambers out of? The
      professionally made DAMs seem to use some sort of laminated Poly,
      where do you get that or is there a better alternative out there?
      Also, they say their seams are welded, but if you are talking about
      poly/plastic/nylon, aren't those sorts of air tight seams really just
      melted together? If so, then I should be able to assemble it with my
      soldering iron or something a little cooler. Am I right about that,
      or is there another way it must be done to work? Those of you that
      did make DAM's, I am sorry but I don't remember how anyone made their
      seams air tight. Thank you all for raeding, and thank you in advance
      for the help.

      -Dylan
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2005
        Dylan and others, On my Home-Made DAM (My pictures
        in the Albums) the Poly Tubing comes in a long
        seamless tube on a roll. You cut it what ever length
        you want your DAM to be and with a "Heat Seal" thing
        you double seal one end. You make a sleeve wide
        enough for however many tube you want and as long as
        you want your DAM to be.

        The open end of the Poly Tube is used to slide your
        baffles with the Down into it.

        As a side note you can remove the Down baffles to dry
        out if necessary or to leave out for summer use. You
        can also make another set of Down baffles for
        different temperatures. My DAM is made for "0" F
        degrees.

        Once the Down baffles are in the Poly Tubes you can
        blow them up with air and roll the end closed. I use
        a small light balloon pump then clamp the ends closed.
        You sleep on your DAM and in the morning or when ever
        you remove the clamp, let the air out and pack it all
        up.

        One of my Poly Tubes 5" wide (Flat) 78"+ long and with
        a baffle containing 1oz of Down weights 1.5oz. My
        latest DAM has 7 Poly Tubes (10.5oz) plus the weight
        of the sleeve. Add the weight of your sleeve (3 to
        4oz) and you get a DAM that gives you 3.5" loft about
        30" wide and 78" long well under 16oz. My new one may
        be about 14oz total. Cost - 7oz of 800+ Down (about
        $56), 7 (5" Flat) Poly Tubes 85" long (less than $10),
        Sleeve material (5 yards at ??) and a weight of (for
        me) .5 to 1 oz a sq yard. My sleeve weight can be as
        low as 2.4oz. for my new one.

        This is a total weight of about 14oz and a cost of
        about $110(+/-) a little if you go with some really
        high cost material or a lot cheaper if you use some
        cheap stuff from Wal Mart. My first one was made from
        some $1 a yard (2oz a sq yard) stuff from Wal Mart.

        In contrast my Warmlite DAM cost $165 and weighs about
        27oz counting the blow up bag.

        The hidden advantage to my DAM is that I can use the
        Down baffles from the Poly Tubes in something else
        during the day.

        Bill in Texas

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dylan
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
          Wow, only one reply. Either my idea isn't as exciting as it seemed
          when I came up with it, or a lot of people are luckier than me (out
          camping instead of here reading the board to avoid work)!

          Thank you Bill for your reply though. I had seen your DAM in the
          past, and I was thinking I might employ something similar. The only
          issue I have to deal with though is the way in which you inflate
          yours. Since mine will be embedded in an underquilt, I would not be
          able to clamp the ends of each baffle. Also, with an unsealed end
          when I am using it as a quilt, I would have the added problem of the
          down getting out when I am using it soft. What I am thinking is that
          all my baffles will have to be connected in som way, and inflated
          through one or two valves, much like the professionally made DAMs.
          Now I know I can heat seal both ends, but I am not sure how I would
          attach some sort of cross tube or valve assembly that would still be
          air tight and not terribly heavy.

          I know this is going to be a lot more work to solve than either the
          underquilt or a normal DAM would be on their own, however, I would
          love to be able to have the flexability without the worry of choosing
          which to take before I even get where I am going. I would simply
          stick to the underquilt because I know I prefer the comfort of them
          over the pad or DAM methods. The trouble is I live in a state that
          is half desert, and I like to see what is over the next hill. I very
          often have no idea what to expect untill I get there, and everything
          I have is all about the flexability. To that end then, while I can
          often hang my hammock even where there are no trees, sometimes I am
          forced to ground. When that happens, I must have something else.
          Therefor, I am willing to take on the extra difficulty of building an
          inflatable quilt as it were. In fact, I think I will add the
          following to the lexicon; IDUQ - inflatable down under-quilt. That
          is my mission at this time, if anyone else has any thoughts or ideas,
          please feel free to jump on it. I will need all the help I can get!

          -Dylan Anderson

          P.S. Bill, where did you get the poly-tube from? I am sure that is
          answered somewhere on previous messages, but somehow I am missing it
          when I search past posts.
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dylan" <hum469@y...> wrote:
            > Wow, only one reply. Either my idea isn't as exciting as it seemed
            > when I came up with it

            I think it's a great idea to test, but not many people have experience
            making inflatable mattresses so it's hard to offer advice!

            I'm curious how to join the tubes together to ensure loft BETWEEN the
            tubes. For example, a 2" sew-through quilt won't insulate as well as
            a 2" baffled quilt because the thinnest point of loft is the sew-
            through. Do you stagger the tubes? Or do you just deal with them
            having a thin spot between them?
          • Dylan Anderson
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
              That is a good point jwj32542, and it is thoughts like
              that I am hoping to get, whether anyone has experience
              or not. More people in the conversation means more
              ideas.

              To address the question, at least in my case, I think
              while the quilt is not inflated, it will act just like
              any baffled quilt. When it is inflated, other DAMs
              seem to be working for others without any insulation
              between the tubes. Thinking about it, I think that
              when weight is on it, the tubes smash a bit, deforming
              from cylinders, to other less perfect shapes. Since
              they are held tight together, I would bet that the
              tops and bottoms of the cylinder curves expand out,
              while the extreme edges (the only bit touching without
              weight) stay the same since they are already tucked up
              against one another. In this case then, I think that
              the tubes take on a more square like cross section,
              thereby insulating the space. At least that seems to
              make the most sence since the tubes must deform some
              way, and nobody with a DAM has reported any cold
              strips so far.

              Should it prove to be a problem however, I can add
              insulation between the tubes too. The idea I have
              basically is to have it constructed as similar to a
              baffled quilt as I can, just with air tight baffles.
              When used in quilt mode with no weight on it, it
              should move and deform same as any other quilt. If it
              does not, it would be possible to add down inbetween
              the tubes. I really don't know though I suppose
              untill I try. Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?
              Think it will work the way I imagine, or is there
              something I am overlooking? I think I will order the
              materials to start work some time in the next week or
              so, I would like to have my plan completed. Thank you
              all for your time.

              http://mail.yahoo.com