Re: Quilt vs. Bag

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Roby Dorsett" <packtramp@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I am trying to get advice on gear. I am trying to decide between a
      JRB No
      > Sniveller Quilt (20oz) and a BA Horse Thief Bag.

      I think it's all going to come down to personal choice. Lots of
      people are happy with both setups, and the weight difference is worth
      taking the one you're more comfortable with, IMO.

      Some things to consider:
      - Like already posted, side sleeping in a BA can be a problem for some
      because the bag doesn't roll with you.
      - Have you ever slept in a quilt before? It takes some getting used
      to...rolling over can open a big draft until you figure out how to
      grab it (in your sleep) and hold it down while you roll. Not a big
      deal for me, but some people find it annoying. Most people say this
      is only a problem on the ground. You might try cutting a piece of
      fleece to the size of the JRB and see if you're comfortable in it.
      - Keeping a pad means you can go to ground if you get too cold or if
      you just want to cowboy camp.

      Personally, I find the underquilts more comfortable than sleeping on a
      pad, and getting to 30F shouldn't be a problem with them. To me (and
      lots of folks here disagree with me), the pad's strengths are cost,
      possibly weight (for CCF), and that it leaves you the opportunity to
      sleep on the ground.

      The biggest drawback I've found is the condensation. Since the pad
      wraps around me in the hammock and it's effectively a vapor barrier
      for the bottom half, I end up being clammy. Not too uncomfortable to
      call it a bad system, but I still get a clamminess that I don't get
      with the underquilts. (Just make sure your bag isn't between you and
      the pad.) That's with CCF pads and a top quilt...I've never used a BA
      so I don't know if the same would happen with it.

      Just my opinions. People are happy with all kinds of solutions...some
      heavy, some light, some cheap, some exorbitant. There isn't one
      single right answer...just find what works for you. The JRB set was
      my final choice, but I'm trying to find a good place to test JRB vs a
      Down Air Mat in temps below 30F.

      If you're interested, I have several ideas at
      http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingWarm.html

      Let us know what you choose!