Quilt vs. Bag

  • Roby Dorsett
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28 5:43 AM
      Hello,
      I am trying to get advice on gear. I am trying to decide between a JRB No
      Sniveller Quilt (20oz) and a BA Horse Thief Bag. I need something for
      multipurpose Bivy and HH use. I like the Speer because of weight and cost,
      but since I already have a HH the JRB would be a better choice. My next
      trip is within a month to the NC portion of the AT expecting 30 deg - 50 deg
      nights (?). This may turn into a multi-part question, so be careful...
      For this trip since I don't have $400 to spend ($395 JRB 3 season solution),
      only around $200 I can choose only one (a quilt or bag). The BA bag can be
      used later in the hammock to hold a reflector or a pad, on the other hand
      the JRB quilt can be used in the bivy as my bag or later as the underquilt
      (although as a bag I don't know what degree it is rated for, any ideas??).
      Overall I like the comfort and ease of the hammock but it is around 2lbs
      additional weight over poncho/bivy/bag. Which is warmer?

      Hammock Option
      JRB underquilt - 20 oz.
      JRB quilt / BA bag - 20 oz / 24 oz
      HH - 31 oz. (How does JRB get such a light weight with their HH???)
      Total - 71 oz - 75 oz or 4.4 lbs
      (How does this system compare to HH 3-4 season solution vs. adding the
      weather shield from JRB???)

      Bivy/poncho/bag
      Poncho - 0.0 oz (already carried for rain)
      Bivy - 10 oz (Six Moons Design) doubles as Ground Sheet
      JRB quilt / BA bag - 20 oz / 24 oz
      Pad (Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso) - 3.7 oz
      Total - 34 oz - 38 oz. or 2.1 lbs

      I would like the option of either sleep system when I backpack, but for my
      next trip I don't know which is a better choice. Also, down the road is a
      JRB quilt inside the hammock better than a BA bag in the hammock when you
      could use the BA pocket for a sun reflector or pad for really cold weather.

      Any thoughts/comments/help/advice/whatever would be greatly appreciated as I
      am leaving in under a month and would like to order one of them (or
      something else if a better option appears) as soon as possible.

      Thanks for any input or advice,
      Rob

    • Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28 7:10 AM
        Roby,

        Comfort Rating in Degrees Fahrenheit Respective Loft Height in inches
        40
        1.5
        30
        2.0
        20
        2.5
        10
        3.25
        0
        4

        I am a side sleeper and the BA mummy bags are not a good choice because
        it is difficult to bend your knees when you use a full pad. I sold my
        Zirkle, but still have the Cross Mountain.

        The BA bags do not make good top quilts in hammocks. After I used a
        quilt in the hammock I never used a bag again.

        WARNING HERESY: I use a ground kit when I expect lows below 25. The BA
        Insulated Air Core pad is almost as comfortable as a hammock and the
        cold weather ground kit is much lighter. There are also some life style
        benefits to sleeping on the ground on long, cold nights. I like to use
        a tea candle lantern to read in bed and I really enjoy having my first
        cup of cocoa without leaving the bag in the morning. A poncho/bivy
        combination is a very good shoulder season kit.

        Some of my gear is used a lot and some only occasionally The gear that
        I have that is light, multi-use, well made, good value gear includes:

        JRB Nest (original 1.5" loft)
        JRB No Sniveller (original 1.5" loft)
        HH
        Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp
        Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso (pack frame, sit pad, wind screen and
        emergency HH insulation)

        Hope that helps.

        Dick Matthews

        Roby Dorsett wrote:

        >Hello,
        >I am trying to get advice on gear. I am trying to decide between a JRB No
        >Sniveller Quilt (20oz) and a BA Horse Thief Bag. I need something for
        >multipurpose Bivy and HH use. I like the Speer because of weight and cost,
        >but since I already have a HH the JRB would be a better choice. My next
        >trip is within a month to the NC portion of the AT expecting 30 deg - 50 deg
        >nights (?). This may turn into a multi-part question, so be careful...
        >For this trip since I don't have $400 to spend ($395 JRB 3 season solution),
        >only around $200 I can choose only one (a quilt or bag). The BA bag can be
        >used later in the hammock to hold a reflector or a pad, on the other hand
        >the JRB quilt can be used in the bivy as my bag or later as the underquilt
        >(although as a bag I don't know what degree it is rated for, any ideas??).
        >Overall I like the comfort and ease of the hammock but it is around 2lbs
        >additional weight over poncho/bivy/bag. Which is warmer?
        >
        >Hammock Option
        >JRB underquilt - 20 oz.
        >JRB quilt / BA bag - 20 oz / 24 oz
        >HH - 31 oz. (How does JRB get such a light weight with their HH???)
        >Total - 71 oz - 75 oz or 4.4 lbs
        >(How does this system compare to HH 3-4 season solution vs. adding the
        >weather shield from JRB???)
        >
        >Bivy/poncho/bag
        >Poncho - 0.0 oz (already carried for rain)
        >Bivy - 10 oz (Six Moons Design) doubles as Ground Sheet
        >JRB quilt / BA bag - 20 oz / 24 oz
        >Pad (Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso) - 3.7 oz
        >Total - 34 oz - 38 oz. or 2.1 lbs
        >
        >I would like the option of either sleep system when I backpack, but for my
        >next trip I don't know which is a better choice. Also, down the road is a
        >JRB quilt inside the hammock better than a BA bag in the hammock when you
        >could use the BA pocket for a sun reflector or pad for really cold weather.
        >
        >Any thoughts/comments/help/advice/whatever would be greatly appreciated as I
        >am leaving in under a month and would like to order one of them (or
        >something else if a better option appears) as soon as possible.
        >
        >Thanks for any input or advice,
        >Rob

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28 8:44 AM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Roby Dorsett" <packtramp@h...>
          wrote:
          > Hello,
          > I am trying to get advice on gear. I am trying to decide between a
          JRB No
          > Sniveller Quilt (20oz) and a BA Horse Thief Bag.

          I think it's all going to come down to personal choice. Lots of
          people are happy with both setups, and the weight difference is worth
          taking the one you're more comfortable with, IMO.

          Some things to consider:
          - Like already posted, side sleeping in a BA can be a problem for some
          because the bag doesn't roll with you.
          - Have you ever slept in a quilt before? It takes some getting used
          to...rolling over can open a big draft until you figure out how to
          grab it (in your sleep) and hold it down while you roll. Not a big
          deal for me, but some people find it annoying. Most people say this
          is only a problem on the ground. You might try cutting a piece of
          fleece to the size of the JRB and see if you're comfortable in it.
          - Keeping a pad means you can go to ground if you get too cold or if
          you just want to cowboy camp.

          Personally, I find the underquilts more comfortable than sleeping on a
          pad, and getting to 30F shouldn't be a problem with them. To me (and
          lots of folks here disagree with me), the pad's strengths are cost,
          possibly weight (for CCF), and that it leaves you the opportunity to
          sleep on the ground.

          The biggest drawback I've found is the condensation. Since the pad
          wraps around me in the hammock and it's effectively a vapor barrier
          for the bottom half, I end up being clammy. Not too uncomfortable to
          call it a bad system, but I still get a clamminess that I don't get
          with the underquilts. (Just make sure your bag isn't between you and
          the pad.) That's with CCF pads and a top quilt...I've never used a BA
          so I don't know if the same would happen with it.

          Just my opinions. People are happy with all kinds of solutions...some
          heavy, some light, some cheap, some exorbitant. There isn't one
          single right answer...just find what works for you. The JRB set was
          my final choice, but I'm trying to find a good place to test JRB vs a
          Down Air Mat in temps below 30F.

          If you're interested, I have several ideas at
          http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingWarm.html

          Let us know what you choose!