Re: Exped DAM

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
      > How many folks here have used the Exped DAM? I'm thinking about
      > getting one and wondering how well they work in a hammock. I know
      > Ed's was comfy at the April SEHHA, but I only laid on it for a few
      > minutes.
      >
      > Can you guys offer some insights?
      > - How long does it take to blow up with the stuff sack?
      > - How easy it to inflate in the hammock? Did you have to put it on
      > the ground to inflate and deflate?

      Ed pumped up a torso-length Exped for us at the hammock hangout and
      it was somewhat slow going because (like most DAMs) the seam-sealed
      stuffsack is used like a bellows to pump the thing up. It should be
      just as easy (easier?) to inflate in the hammock as on the ground.

      A SPD/DAM/sleeping-bag setup is what I'm planning on for winter
      camping.

      Doug Frost
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
        The reason I bought the Warmlite DAM was because it
        was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy
        to blow up. When you do it right. My Warmlite DAM
        takes about 14 bags of air which takes less than a
        minute to blow up. The best way to blow it up is with
        it in the Hammock. If I tell you anymore everyone will
        want one and then everyone will find out the simple
        secret of being warm in a Hammock is with a DAM. Then
        I made my own DAM and everything got lighter, cheaper
        and better.

        I have tried very hard not to talk about all the
        things being sold that you think will keep you warm in
        a Hammock. If you read Ed's book you will read about
        inches of Pad vs what it takes to stay warm at a given
        temperature. I use that but convert it to "R" value.
        The only true way to build a cold weather hammock
        system. Under you if you use "Down - Air = DAM" less
        weight than Pads and less volume.

        I have just watched the second part of the PBS Special
        on Bob Dylan so all I can say is get a Warmlite DAM or
        stay "Stuck on Stupid".

        Bill in Texas

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
          <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
          > The reason I bought the Warmlite DAM was because it
          > was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy
          > to blow up. When you do it right. My Warmlite DAM
          > takes about 14 bags of air which takes less than a
          > minute to blow up. The best way to blow it up is with
          > it in the Hammock. If I tell you anymore everyone will
          > want one and then everyone will find out the simple
          > secret of being warm in a Hammock is with a DAM. Then
          > I made my own DAM and everything got lighter, cheaper
          > and better.
          [...]
          > The only true way to build a cold weather hammock
          > system. Under you if you use "Down - Air = DAM" less
          > weight than Pads and less volume.

          The lower the temps go below freezing the more efficient DAMs are
          relative to other systems. My suspicion with the Warmlite DAM is
          that the extra shoulder width wrapping around you tends to squeeze
          the down in your bag or quilt. Also, the Exped DAMs come in
          differing thicknesses if the largest one rides ya too high.

          Have you ever used your homemade DAM on the ground and how did it
          hold up? Being able to reliably go-to-ground is one of the safety
          features of the commercial models.

          Doug Frost
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
            --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> Asked:
            "Have you ever used your homemade DAM on the ground
            and how did it hold up? Being able to reliably
            go-to-ground is one features of the commercial
            models." Doug Frost

            Hi Doug, My DAM started out as just an Air Mattress.
            I slept on it on the ground/floor a lot as I was
            testing various ways to close the open end after I
            inflated the Poly Tubes. The Poly Tubes I use are 2
            mil and are not fragile. The only problem I had was
            when my kittens played on it. I found a few little
            holes that I was able to seal with duct tape. I
            recommend carrying an extra Poly Tube and almost
            everyone carries duct tape.

            I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
            November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
            GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
            Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
            Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
            DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
            problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
            was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
            degrees F.

            My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
            Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
            than most. I have a separate Down hood that can also
            be used if necessary. My Down Top Cover buttons to
            the DAM. Buttons are lighter and easier to attach
            than zippers.

            Bill in Texas - we are having a cold day today - high
            only 89 degrees F.

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
              Not trying to be a smart-aleck at all, here. Maybe find a butcher or a
              meat/fruit processing place with a big freezer... Just an idea.

              Bill in Houston

              > > But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking for somewhere 4-
              > 5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F. Any suggestions?
            • Lenny Nichols
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock or a shorter one?

                Lenny (also in Texas)

              • jack_tier
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down
                  since
                  > > last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches
                  and
                  > > with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
                  > > bottom with 2+ on the sides...
                  >
                  > DOH! That makes a difference. I guess my overstuff brings mine
                  up to
                  > that thickness, then.
                  >
                  > I'll have to add a top blanket, but I'm gonna try to see how cold
                  > can get with the underquilts, too.
                  >
                  > I think I'm going to Yosemite for Columbus weekend...hoping to see
                  20F
                  > then.
                  >
                  > > If three + inches on the bottom is your goal
                  >
                  > Not really a goal, that's just the thickness of the DAM (2.8").
                  Using
                  > the ORM instead of the two underquilts would save a full pound and
                  > about $150, too. (It's just that I already have the Nest/NS combo
                  > test.)
                  >
                  > Thanks for the info. Any idea how cold you could get with the
                  Nest/NS
                  > on bottom and ORM inside the hammock?

                  Nest and No Sniveller on the bottom and Old Rag Mtn took me to 25
                  degrees, piece of cake, at SORUCK on the river at NOC 25 Jan 05,
                  slept 0001 to 0915 straight thru no nature calls, had a watch cap
                  pulled over my eyes so I missed the morning arrival...warm as toast
                  could have gone lower easy.

                  PS. these were 1.5 inch Nest and NS and 2.5 inch Old Rag Mtn vs the
                  current 2+ and 3+ inch thick models.

                  jack
                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                    Lenny, My current one is 30" wide by 78" long. So I
                    would say, Yes, full length.

                    I am in San Antonio where we are about to have a
                    couple of days with our high temp under 90. It really
                    feels nice outside down to about 60 in the morning. I
                    should go for a walk.

                    Bill
                    --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

                    > Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock
                    > or a shorter one?
                    >
                    > Lenny (also in Texas)

                    > removed]

                    __________________________________
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Thomas Vickers
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                      I really wanted to hang the old hammock out during Rita (Live north of
                      Houston a bit), but wife wouldn't have it.

                      I can't wait to get under 100 for a few days. Nasty heat, and humidty

                      TV
                    • dlfrost_1
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 30, 2005
                        <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                        > I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
                        > November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
                        > GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
                        > Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
                        > Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
                        > DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
                        > problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
                        > was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
                        > degrees F.
                        >
                        > My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
                        > Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
                        > than most.

                        Sounds good... I've been following your experiments and reliability
                        was my only remaining concern. I'm looking forward to hearing your
                        after-trip report.

                        Soon, we'll probably have to start telling newbie/wannabe
                        hammockcampers to keep their tents--to use for down stuffing!

                        I'm currently moving to a place near Sevierville, and can see the
                        Smokies from the window of my bedroom.

                        Verily I say unto you: There shall be much winter testing.

                        Doug Frost
                      • BRIAN
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 8 5:31 PM
                          Hey everyone,

                          My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                          honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                          for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                          now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                          this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                          won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                          praying for cold weather too.

                          Brian
                          T-BACK
                        • jwj32542
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 8 5:59 PM
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>
                            wrote:
                            > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite!

                            Awesome! Which model did you get? You gonna get a SPE or something
                            for your shoulders and hips?

                            For some reason, I don't have any condensation problems with the Exped
                            DAM, even when I'm very warm. CCF gives me a clammy back even when
                            I'm cool. It must be the type of covering Exped uses...very
                            comfortable.
                          • Michael B. Carter
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 9 2:49 AM
                              Brian,

                              I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                              I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago, and was as
                              comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                              It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth the extra
                              effort.
                              It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.

                              Enjoy...

                              Michael

                              At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                              >Hey everyone,
                              >
                              >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                              >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                              >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                              >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                              >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                              >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                              >praying for cold weather too.
                              >
                              >Brian
                              >T-BACK

                              >hammock
                              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                              >food
                              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                              >camping
                              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                              >outdoors
                              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                              >camper
                              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                              > *

                            • J.D. Hoessle
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 9 3:55 AM
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                                > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.

                                Comgrats, Brian!

                                I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!

                                Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just fine
                                and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a bit "higher" in
                                the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more. I "discovered"
                                that cold spots were eliminated!

                                > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                                > praying for cold weather too.

                                ...hehehe!

                                Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just delivered a
                                20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep snow
                                or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing your
                                girl..?

                                Happy Trails,

                                J.D.
                              • Coy
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 9 4:56 AM
                                  OK guys, I'm jealous. I could use one tonight. I bought a
                                  replacement target pad (the 27 x 72 x 3/8) the other day. (gave the
                                  old one to the dogs) and found a yoga pad here at the house. This
                                  pad is really thin but heavier than the much bigger target pad.
                                  It's 20 x 72 by about 1/8. I'm carrying my converted sleeping
                                  sleeping bag and plan to put it around my hammock and sleeping on
                                  top of that with the pads on top of that. It was too agrivating
                                  when I put it in another hammock below me the other night. This
                                  will give me about 1.5 inches of down below me unless i can shake
                                  more of the down to the bottom. It's 21 here this morning and 23
                                  at huntsville on the news. they said tonight would be colder with
                                  lows in the upper teens. should be a little cooler 2 hours north of
                                  here. Cody has chickend out again so I'll be solo. Makes me a
                                  little nervous as I have been to 16 F before but was where i could
                                  walk home if needed. I guess i could hike the 6 miles back to the
                                  car if needed but the gate will be locked so i hope that dont
                                  happen. I'll be in a 5 F sleeping bag I'm testing for BGT so if my
                                  underinsulation is good enought I dont forsee any problems. I'll
                                  try to get a few pics if my camera dont freeze. I plan to keep it
                                  in the bag with me overnight. I'm outa here in a little while so
                                  wish me luck.

                                  Coy Boy

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                                  <carterm@m...> wrote:

                                  > Brian,
                                  >
                                  > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                                  > I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago,
                                  and was as
                                  > comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                                  > It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth
                                  the extra
                                  > effort.
                                  > It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.
                                  >
                                  > Enjoy...
                                  >
                                  > Michael
                                  >
                                  > At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                                  > >Hey everyone,
                                  > >
                                  > >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                  > >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                                  Thanks
                                  > >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try
                                  it
                                  > >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should
                                  drop
                                  > >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that
                                  she
                                  > >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                                  she's
                                  > >praying for cold weather too.
                                  > >
                                  > >Brian
                                  > >T-BACK

                                  t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+campi
                                  ng&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlC
                                  ZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>Camping
                                  > >hammock
                                  > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                  t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                  w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEz
                                  fzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                                  > >food
                                  > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                  t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4
                                  =Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXj
                                  LyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                                  > >camping
                                  > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                  t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                  w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEI
                                  pgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                  > >outdoors
                                  > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                  t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                  w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8Kw
                                  ziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                                  > >camper
                                  > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                  t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=G
                                  si+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJ
                                  QwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                  > > *

                                • Coy
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 9 5:19 AM
                                    The world is going to the dogs...

                                    I put my dogs in the basement last night. When I let them out this
                                    morning Freckls was ready to go. Nelly Sweet Pea sorta looked out
                                    side then trotted back over to the bed I made them. I had to walk
                                    outside on the frost coverd ground barefooted to get her out...my
                                    feet are still cold. I told the wife and kids to put them back up
                                    tonight. I need one of those doors that they can go in and out but
                                    the flap dont let cold air in all the time.

                                    Coy Boy
                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN"
                                    <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                                    > > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from
                                    my
                                    > > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                                    >
                                    > Comgrats, Brian!
                                    >
                                    > I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!
                                    >
                                    > Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just
                                    fine
                                    > and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a
                                    bit "higher" in
                                    > the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more.
                                    I "discovered"
                                    > that cold spots were eliminated!
                                    >
                                    > > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                    > > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                                    she's
                                    > > praying for cold weather too.
                                    >
                                    > ...hehehe!
                                    >
                                    > Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just
                                    delivered a
                                    > 20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep
                                    snow
                                    > or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing
                                    your
                                    > girl..?
                                    >
                                    > Happy Trails,
                                    >
                                    > J.D.

                                  • J.D. Hoessle
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 9 5:47 AM
                                      <carterm@m...> wrote:
                                      > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.

                                      Michael- Brian - Slowhike

                                      Seems a lot of us are sold on the Exped DAM. Yes, mine is also the
                                      Downmat 7 - Long.

                                      Mr. Speer, have you considered distributing a "combo" package of the
                                      Exped and SPE...?

                                      OH, Yeah... The usual Disclaimer that I don't work for either, get no
                                      remuneration, etc. Hmmm...? Maybe we should...<g>...!

                                      Note: I have found the "Inflation Time" considerably reduced by
                                      allowing the DAM to just self-inflate for about 20-30 minutes. Seems
                                      to cut the number of "bag-puffs" in half.

                                      Happy Trails,

                                      J.D.
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 9 6:04 AM
                                        Brian, Jeff, Tim, Michael

                                        The excitement over the Exped DAM is justified. And it sounds like we'll
                                        all be using them on our upcoming Mt Mitchell hike! I'll have my 7 short as
                                        well as my PeaPod! ..Ed

                                        Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                                        Editor, Hammock Camping News

                                        Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                                        _____

> [...]

                                        &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                                        &k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                        oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                        >outdoors
                                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                        &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                                        &k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                        oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy

                                        >camper
                                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                        food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                        g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>
                                        &k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors
                                        &w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                        Camping
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                                        amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                                        105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                                        Camping
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                        &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                                        Rv
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                                        g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                                        sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                                        Gsi
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                        &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                                        Happy
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                        ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                        &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                                        Outdoors
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                                        food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                        g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                                        _____

                                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                        * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                                        _____

                                      • jwj32542
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 9 7:12 AM
                                          I'm still deciding whether or not to bring it on my snow camping
                                          trip next weekend. It's supposed to get into the teens, but up in
                                          the Sierras the weather can change fast so I want to be prepared for
                                          a bit below that.

                                          I was thinking about the PeaPod, Exped 7, and JRB No Sniveller.
                                          Should keep me nice and toasty below zero. I don't think I'll need
                                          a SPE since I have the PeaPod.

                                          Or the 3 Season Set and PeaPod would be lighter for below zero, but
                                          I don't have anything to lay around on outside (or go to ground with
                                          if it gets really bad).

                                          I was thinking about a torso-length CCF instead of the DAM, since
                                          it's lighter and I can drag it around camp as a sit pad for the snow
                                          throne I'm gonna make. But a .5" CCF might not be enough extra
                                          insulation and I don't want the extra bulk. Plus it's just not as
                                          comfy.

                                          What do you guys think?

                                          PeaPod, Exped and NS for ~84 oz, or
                                          PeaPod, 3 Season Set for ~74 oz?