Re: [Hammock Camping] Exped DAM

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "richard_nisley"
      <richard_nisley@m...> wrote:
      > You have come up with a very intriguing concept!

      Other folks were doing this stuff long before me. I got the DAM
      numbers from Ed and Youngblood, and Risk has reported the lowest
      temps in a hammock that I've seen. I'm just along for the ride!

      > In hammocks like the HH, do you think that the approximately 3" of
      > insulation under you may result in too confining of a top space?
      > What hammock types are you going to test with? Do you think the
      > wider Exped Dlx would eliminate the requirement for the SPE and
      > closed cell foam wings?

      The BGT review that used the Dlx in a HH said he had to keep his
      arms on his chest or they would touch the hammock and get cold.
      I'll still use the SPE for my tests.

      He also didn't mention anything about the top space. I think it
      might hold a HH open wider, which might compensate for sitting up
      higher. I'm going to test in a HH and a homemade Speer.

      But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking for somewhere 4-
      5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F. Any suggestions?
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
        wrote:
        > The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down since
        > last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches and
        > with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
        > bottom with 2+ on the sides...

        DOH! That makes a difference. I guess my overstuff brings mine up to
        that thickness, then.

        I'll have to add a top blanket, but I'm gonna try to see how cold I
        can get with the underquilts, too.

        I think I'm going to Yosemite for Columbus weekend...hoping to see 20F
        then.

        > If three + inches on the bottom is your goal

        Not really a goal, that's just the thickness of the DAM (2.8"). Using
        the ORM instead of the two underquilts would save a full pound and
        about $150, too. (It's just that I already have the Nest/NS combo to
        test.)

        Thanks for the info. Any idea how cold you could get with the Nest/NS
        on bottom and ORM inside the hammock?
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
          By car or by plane?

          Bill in Texas - 100+ degrees F the last few days.

          --- jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

          > But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking
          > for somewhere 4-
          > 5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F.
          > Any suggestions?

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
            <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
            > By car or by plane?

            Plane would sure open up a lot more possibilities, eh?

            But I'll be driving.
          • dlfrost_1
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
              > How many folks here have used the Exped DAM? I'm thinking about
              > getting one and wondering how well they work in a hammock. I know
              > Ed's was comfy at the April SEHHA, but I only laid on it for a few
              > minutes.
              >
              > Can you guys offer some insights?
              > - How long does it take to blow up with the stuff sack?
              > - How easy it to inflate in the hammock? Did you have to put it on
              > the ground to inflate and deflate?

              Ed pumped up a torso-length Exped for us at the hammock hangout and
              it was somewhat slow going because (like most DAMs) the seam-sealed
              stuffsack is used like a bellows to pump the thing up. It should be
              just as easy (easier?) to inflate in the hammock as on the ground.

              A SPD/DAM/sleeping-bag setup is what I'm planning on for winter
              camping.

              Doug Frost
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
                The reason I bought the Warmlite DAM was because it
                was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy
                to blow up. When you do it right. My Warmlite DAM
                takes about 14 bags of air which takes less than a
                minute to blow up. The best way to blow it up is with
                it in the Hammock. If I tell you anymore everyone will
                want one and then everyone will find out the simple
                secret of being warm in a Hammock is with a DAM. Then
                I made my own DAM and everything got lighter, cheaper
                and better.

                I have tried very hard not to talk about all the
                things being sold that you think will keep you warm in
                a Hammock. If you read Ed's book you will read about
                inches of Pad vs what it takes to stay warm at a given
                temperature. I use that but convert it to "R" value.
                The only true way to build a cold weather hammock
                system. Under you if you use "Down - Air = DAM" less
                weight than Pads and less volume.

                I have just watched the second part of the PBS Special
                on Bob Dylan so all I can say is get a Warmlite DAM or
                stay "Stuck on Stupid".

                Bill in Texas

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • dlfrost_1
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                  <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                  > The reason I bought the Warmlite DAM was because it
                  > was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy
                  > to blow up. When you do it right. My Warmlite DAM
                  > takes about 14 bags of air which takes less than a
                  > minute to blow up. The best way to blow it up is with
                  > it in the Hammock. If I tell you anymore everyone will
                  > want one and then everyone will find out the simple
                  > secret of being warm in a Hammock is with a DAM. Then
                  > I made my own DAM and everything got lighter, cheaper
                  > and better.
                  [...]
                  > The only true way to build a cold weather hammock
                  > system. Under you if you use "Down - Air = DAM" less
                  > weight than Pads and less volume.

                  The lower the temps go below freezing the more efficient DAMs are
                  relative to other systems. My suspicion with the Warmlite DAM is
                  that the extra shoulder width wrapping around you tends to squeeze
                  the down in your bag or quilt. Also, the Exped DAMs come in
                  differing thicknesses if the largest one rides ya too high.

                  Have you ever used your homemade DAM on the ground and how did it
                  hold up? Being able to reliably go-to-ground is one of the safety
                  features of the commercial models.

                  Doug Frost
                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                    --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> Asked:
                    "Have you ever used your homemade DAM on the ground
                    and how did it hold up? Being able to reliably
                    go-to-ground is one features of the commercial
                    models." Doug Frost

                    Hi Doug, My DAM started out as just an Air Mattress.
                    I slept on it on the ground/floor a lot as I was
                    testing various ways to close the open end after I
                    inflated the Poly Tubes. The Poly Tubes I use are 2
                    mil and are not fragile. The only problem I had was
                    when my kittens played on it. I found a few little
                    holes that I was able to seal with duct tape. I
                    recommend carrying an extra Poly Tube and almost
                    everyone carries duct tape.

                    I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
                    November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
                    GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
                    Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
                    Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
                    DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
                    problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
                    was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
                    degrees F.

                    My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
                    Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
                    than most. I have a separate Down hood that can also
                    be used if necessary. My Down Top Cover buttons to
                    the DAM. Buttons are lighter and easier to attach
                    than zippers.

                    Bill in Texas - we are having a cold day today - high
                    only 89 degrees F.

                    __________________________________
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Bill in Houston
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                      Not trying to be a smart-aleck at all, here. Maybe find a butcher or a
                      meat/fruit processing place with a big freezer... Just an idea.

                      Bill in Houston

                      > > But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking for somewhere 4-
                      > 5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F. Any suggestions?
                    • Lenny Nichols
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                        Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock or a shorter one?

                        Lenny (also in Texas)

                      • jack_tier
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down
                          since
                          > > last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches
                          and
                          > > with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
                          > > bottom with 2+ on the sides...
                          >
                          > DOH! That makes a difference. I guess my overstuff brings mine
                          up to
                          > that thickness, then.
                          >
                          > I'll have to add a top blanket, but I'm gonna try to see how cold
                          > can get with the underquilts, too.
                          >
                          > I think I'm going to Yosemite for Columbus weekend...hoping to see
                          20F
                          > then.
                          >
                          > > If three + inches on the bottom is your goal
                          >
                          > Not really a goal, that's just the thickness of the DAM (2.8").
                          Using
                          > the ORM instead of the two underquilts would save a full pound and
                          > about $150, too. (It's just that I already have the Nest/NS combo
                          > test.)
                          >
                          > Thanks for the info. Any idea how cold you could get with the
                          Nest/NS
                          > on bottom and ORM inside the hammock?

                          Nest and No Sniveller on the bottom and Old Rag Mtn took me to 25
                          degrees, piece of cake, at SORUCK on the river at NOC 25 Jan 05,
                          slept 0001 to 0915 straight thru no nature calls, had a watch cap
                          pulled over my eyes so I missed the morning arrival...warm as toast
                          could have gone lower easy.

                          PS. these were 1.5 inch Nest and NS and 2.5 inch Old Rag Mtn vs the
                          current 2+ and 3+ inch thick models.

                          jack
                        • Bill Fornshell
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                            Lenny, My current one is 30" wide by 78" long. So I
                            would say, Yes, full length.

                            I am in San Antonio where we are about to have a
                            couple of days with our high temp under 90. It really
                            feels nice outside down to about 60 in the morning. I
                            should go for a walk.

                            Bill
                            --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

                            > Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock
                            > or a shorter one?
                            >
                            > Lenny (also in Texas)

                            > removed]

                            __________________________________
                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Thomas Vickers
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                              I really wanted to hang the old hammock out during Rita (Live north of
                              Houston a bit), but wife wouldn't have it.

                              I can't wait to get under 100 for a few days. Nasty heat, and humidty

                              TV
                            • dlfrost_1
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 30, 2005
                                <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                                > I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
                                > November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
                                > GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
                                > Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
                                > Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
                                > DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
                                > problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
                                > was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
                                > degrees F.
                                >
                                > My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
                                > Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
                                > than most.

                                Sounds good... I've been following your experiments and reliability
                                was my only remaining concern. I'm looking forward to hearing your
                                after-trip report.

                                Soon, we'll probably have to start telling newbie/wannabe
                                hammockcampers to keep their tents--to use for down stuffing!

                                I'm currently moving to a place near Sevierville, and can see the
                                Smokies from the window of my bedroom.

                                Verily I say unto you: There shall be much winter testing.

                                Doug Frost
                              • BRIAN
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
                                  Hey everyone,

                                  My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                  honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                                  for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                                  now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                                  this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                  won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                                  praying for cold weather too.

                                  Brian
                                  T-BACK
                                • jwj32542
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite!

                                    Awesome! Which model did you get? You gonna get a SPE or something
                                    for your shoulders and hips?

                                    For some reason, I don't have any condensation problems with the Exped
                                    DAM, even when I'm very warm. CCF gives me a clammy back even when
                                    I'm cool. It must be the type of covering Exped uses...very
                                    comfortable.
                                  • Michael B. Carter
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                      Brian,

                                      I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                                      I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago, and was as
                                      comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                                      It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth the extra
                                      effort.
                                      It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.

                                      Enjoy...

                                      Michael

                                      At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                                      >Hey everyone,
                                      >
                                      >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                      >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                                      >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                                      >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                                      >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                      >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                                      >praying for cold weather too.
                                      >
                                      >Brian
                                      >T-BACK

                                      >hammock
                                      ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                                      >food
                                      ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                                      >camping
                                      ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                      >outdoors
                                      ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                                      >camper
                                      ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                      > *

                                    • J.D. Hoessle
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                                        > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                        > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.

                                        Comgrats, Brian!

                                        I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!

                                        Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just fine
                                        and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a bit "higher" in
                                        the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more. I "discovered"
                                        that cold spots were eliminated!

                                        > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                        > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                                        > praying for cold weather too.

                                        ...hehehe!

                                        Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just delivered a
                                        20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep snow
                                        or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing your
                                        girl..?

                                        Happy Trails,

                                        J.D.
                                      • Coy
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                          OK guys, I'm jealous. I could use one tonight. I bought a
                                          replacement target pad (the 27 x 72 x 3/8) the other day. (gave the
                                          old one to the dogs) and found a yoga pad here at the house. This
                                          pad is really thin but heavier than the much bigger target pad.
                                          It's 20 x 72 by about 1/8. I'm carrying my converted sleeping
                                          sleeping bag and plan to put it around my hammock and sleeping on
                                          top of that with the pads on top of that. It was too agrivating
                                          when I put it in another hammock below me the other night. This
                                          will give me about 1.5 inches of down below me unless i can shake
                                          more of the down to the bottom. It's 21 here this morning and 23
                                          at huntsville on the news. they said tonight would be colder with
                                          lows in the upper teens. should be a little cooler 2 hours north of
                                          here. Cody has chickend out again so I'll be solo. Makes me a
                                          little nervous as I have been to 16 F before but was where i could
                                          walk home if needed. I guess i could hike the 6 miles back to the
                                          car if needed but the gate will be locked so i hope that dont
                                          happen. I'll be in a 5 F sleeping bag I'm testing for BGT so if my
                                          underinsulation is good enought I dont forsee any problems. I'll
                                          try to get a few pics if my camera dont freeze. I plan to keep it
                                          in the bag with me overnight. I'm outa here in a little while so
                                          wish me luck.

                                          Coy Boy

                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                                          <carterm@m...> wrote:

                                          > Brian,
                                          >
                                          > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                                          > I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago,
                                          and was as
                                          > comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                                          > It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth
                                          the extra
                                          > effort.
                                          > It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.
                                          >
                                          > Enjoy...
                                          >
                                          > Michael
                                          >
                                          > At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                                          > >Hey everyone,
                                          > >
                                          > >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                          > >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                                          Thanks
                                          > >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try
                                          it
                                          > >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should
                                          drop
                                          > >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that
                                          she
                                          > >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                                          she's
                                          > >praying for cold weather too.
                                          > >
                                          > >Brian
                                          > >T-BACK

                                          t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+campi
                                          ng&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlC
                                          ZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>Camping
                                          > >hammock
                                          > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                          t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                          w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEz
                                          fzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                                          > >food
                                          > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                          t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4
                                          =Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXj
                                          LyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                                          > >camping
                                          > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                          t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                          w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEI
                                          pgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                          > >outdoors
                                          > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                          t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                          w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8Kw
                                          ziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                                          > >camper
                                          > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                          t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=G
                                          si+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJ
                                          QwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                          > > *

                                        • Coy
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                            The world is going to the dogs...

                                            I put my dogs in the basement last night. When I let them out this
                                            morning Freckls was ready to go. Nelly Sweet Pea sorta looked out
                                            side then trotted back over to the bed I made them. I had to walk
                                            outside on the frost coverd ground barefooted to get her out...my
                                            feet are still cold. I told the wife and kids to put them back up
                                            tonight. I need one of those doors that they can go in and out but
                                            the flap dont let cold air in all the time.

                                            Coy Boy
                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN"
                                            <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                                            > > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from
                                            my
                                            > > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                                            >
                                            > Comgrats, Brian!
                                            >
                                            > I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!
                                            >
                                            > Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just
                                            fine
                                            > and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a
                                            bit "higher" in
                                            > the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more.
                                            I "discovered"
                                            > that cold spots were eliminated!
                                            >
                                            > > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                            > > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                                            she's
                                            > > praying for cold weather too.
                                            >
                                            > ...hehehe!
                                            >
                                            > Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just
                                            delivered a
                                            > 20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep
                                            snow
                                            > or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing
                                            your
                                            > girl..?
                                            >
                                            > Happy Trails,
                                            >
                                            > J.D.

                                          • J.D. Hoessle
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                              <carterm@m...> wrote:
                                              > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.

                                              Michael- Brian - Slowhike

                                              Seems a lot of us are sold on the Exped DAM. Yes, mine is also the
                                              Downmat 7 - Long.

                                              Mr. Speer, have you considered distributing a "combo" package of the
                                              Exped and SPE...?

                                              OH, Yeah... The usual Disclaimer that I don't work for either, get no
                                              remuneration, etc. Hmmm...? Maybe we should...<g>...!

                                              Note: I have found the "Inflation Time" considerably reduced by
                                              allowing the DAM to just self-inflate for about 20-30 minutes. Seems
                                              to cut the number of "bag-puffs" in half.

                                              Happy Trails,

                                              J.D.
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                                Brian, Jeff, Tim, Michael

                                                The excitement over the Exped DAM is justified. And it sounds like we'll
                                                all be using them on our upcoming Mt Mitchell hike! I'll have my 7 short as
                                                well as my PeaPod! ..Ed

                                                Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                                                Editor, Hammock Camping News

                                                Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                                                _____

> [...]

                                                &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                                                &k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                                oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                                >outdoors
                                                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                                ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                                                &k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                                oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy

                                                >camper
                                                ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                                food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                                g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>
                                                &k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors
                                                &w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                                Camping
                                                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                                                amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                                                105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                                                Camping
                                                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                                ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                                                Rv
                                                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                                                g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                                                sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                                                Gsi
                                                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                                ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                                                Happy
                                                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                                ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                                                Outdoors
                                                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                                                food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                                g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                                                _____

                                                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                                * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                                                _____

                                              • jwj32542
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                                  I'm still deciding whether or not to bring it on my snow camping
                                                  trip next weekend. It's supposed to get into the teens, but up in
                                                  the Sierras the weather can change fast so I want to be prepared for
                                                  a bit below that.

                                                  I was thinking about the PeaPod, Exped 7, and JRB No Sniveller.
                                                  Should keep me nice and toasty below zero. I don't think I'll need
                                                  a SPE since I have the PeaPod.

                                                  Or the 3 Season Set and PeaPod would be lighter for below zero, but
                                                  I don't have anything to lay around on outside (or go to ground with
                                                  if it gets really bad).

                                                  I was thinking about a torso-length CCF instead of the DAM, since
                                                  it's lighter and I can drag it around camp as a sit pad for the snow
                                                  throne I'm gonna make. But a .5" CCF might not be enough extra
                                                  insulation and I don't want the extra bulk. Plus it's just not as
                                                  comfy.

                                                  What do you guys think?

                                                  PeaPod, Exped and NS for ~84 oz, or
                                                  PeaPod, 3 Season Set for ~74 oz?