Re: [Hammock Camping] Exped DAM

  • jack_tier
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
      > Brian - I had read the BGT reviews, and they touched on the info
      I'm
      > looking for but didn't really provide a lot of details...a mention
      > of using it in the HH, but that's about all. Thanks for the link,
      > though!
      >
      > Bill - Below 30F is why I'm looking at the DAM. I figure I can do
      > it with underquilts, but I want to test the weight and bulk for
      the
      > same warmth once it gets really cold.
      >
      > - JRB Nest and NS - 42 oz, 7x7x14 stuffed, $400
      >
      > - Exped DAM 7 - 35 oz, 5x12 stuffed, $150
      > -- SPE with pads - ~10 oz, plus the bulk of the CCF wings
      >
      > The thing is, 2 underquilts give 3" of loft, just like the DAM 7
      > (2.8" fully inflated). And the bulk with the SPE wings makes them
      > about equal. However, according to Ed's site the DAM will get you
      > to 0F. (Youngblood says that hasn't been tested, but it's an
      > extrapolation.)
      >
      > I don't think the 2 JRB's will get me to zero, but I don't know
      that
      > for sure. I hope to find a place to test them both soon!
      >
      > What's the coldest you've been in yours?
      >
      > Thanks for the comments, guys! Anyone else want to post cold-
      > weather (below ~15F) results?

      Jeff,

      The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down since
      last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches and
      with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
      bottom with 2+ on the sides...

      If three + inches on the bottom is your goal, the JRB Old Rag Mtn
      winter quilt which now has tabs for under quilt use and is is
      3+inches of 800pf and weighs just 24 oz...with the suspension system
      weight will total 26 oz...cost $ 267.... A much lighter and less
      expensive approach.

      Jack
      www.jacksrbetter.com
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "richard_nisley"
        <richard_nisley@m...> wrote:
        > You have come up with a very intriguing concept!

        Other folks were doing this stuff long before me. I got the DAM
        numbers from Ed and Youngblood, and Risk has reported the lowest
        temps in a hammock that I've seen. I'm just along for the ride!

        > In hammocks like the HH, do you think that the approximately 3" of
        > insulation under you may result in too confining of a top space?
        > What hammock types are you going to test with? Do you think the
        > wider Exped Dlx would eliminate the requirement for the SPE and
        > closed cell foam wings?

        The BGT review that used the Dlx in a HH said he had to keep his
        arms on his chest or they would touch the hammock and get cold.
        I'll still use the SPE for my tests.

        He also didn't mention anything about the top space. I think it
        might hold a HH open wider, which might compensate for sitting up
        higher. I'm going to test in a HH and a homemade Speer.

        But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking for somewhere 4-
        5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F. Any suggestions?
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
          wrote:
          > The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down since
          > last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches and
          > with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
          > bottom with 2+ on the sides...

          DOH! That makes a difference. I guess my overstuff brings mine up to
          that thickness, then.

          I'll have to add a top blanket, but I'm gonna try to see how cold I
          can get with the underquilts, too.

          I think I'm going to Yosemite for Columbus weekend...hoping to see 20F
          then.

          > If three + inches on the bottom is your goal

          Not really a goal, that's just the thickness of the DAM (2.8"). Using
          the ORM instead of the two underquilts would save a full pound and
          about $150, too. (It's just that I already have the Nest/NS combo to
          test.)

          Thanks for the info. Any idea how cold you could get with the Nest/NS
          on bottom and ORM inside the hammock?
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
            By car or by plane?

            Bill in Texas - 100+ degrees F the last few days.

            --- jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

            > But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking
            > for somewhere 4-
            > 5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F.
            > Any suggestions?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
              <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
              > By car or by plane?

              Plane would sure open up a lot more possibilities, eh?

              But I'll be driving.
            • dlfrost_1
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
                > How many folks here have used the Exped DAM? I'm thinking about
                > getting one and wondering how well they work in a hammock. I know
                > Ed's was comfy at the April SEHHA, but I only laid on it for a few
                > minutes.
                >
                > Can you guys offer some insights?
                > - How long does it take to blow up with the stuff sack?
                > - How easy it to inflate in the hammock? Did you have to put it on
                > the ground to inflate and deflate?

                Ed pumped up a torso-length Exped for us at the hammock hangout and
                it was somewhat slow going because (like most DAMs) the seam-sealed
                stuffsack is used like a bellows to pump the thing up. It should be
                just as easy (easier?) to inflate in the hammock as on the ground.

                A SPD/DAM/sleeping-bag setup is what I'm planning on for winter
                camping.

                Doug Frost
              • Bill Fornshell
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
                  The reason I bought the Warmlite DAM was because it
                  was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy
                  to blow up. When you do it right. My Warmlite DAM
                  takes about 14 bags of air which takes less than a
                  minute to blow up. The best way to blow it up is with
                  it in the Hammock. If I tell you anymore everyone will
                  want one and then everyone will find out the simple
                  secret of being warm in a Hammock is with a DAM. Then
                  I made my own DAM and everything got lighter, cheaper
                  and better.

                  I have tried very hard not to talk about all the
                  things being sold that you think will keep you warm in
                  a Hammock. If you read Ed's book you will read about
                  inches of Pad vs what it takes to stay warm at a given
                  temperature. I use that but convert it to "R" value.
                  The only true way to build a cold weather hammock
                  system. Under you if you use "Down - Air = DAM" less
                  weight than Pads and less volume.

                  I have just watched the second part of the PBS Special
                  on Bob Dylan so all I can say is get a Warmlite DAM or
                  stay "Stuck on Stupid".

                  Bill in Texas

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                    <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                    > The reason I bought the Warmlite DAM was because it
                    > was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy
                    > to blow up. When you do it right. My Warmlite DAM
                    > takes about 14 bags of air which takes less than a
                    > minute to blow up. The best way to blow it up is with
                    > it in the Hammock. If I tell you anymore everyone will
                    > want one and then everyone will find out the simple
                    > secret of being warm in a Hammock is with a DAM. Then
                    > I made my own DAM and everything got lighter, cheaper
                    > and better.
                    [...]
                    > The only true way to build a cold weather hammock
                    > system. Under you if you use "Down - Air = DAM" less
                    > weight than Pads and less volume.

                    The lower the temps go below freezing the more efficient DAMs are
                    relative to other systems. My suspicion with the Warmlite DAM is
                    that the extra shoulder width wrapping around you tends to squeeze
                    the down in your bag or quilt. Also, the Exped DAMs come in
                    differing thicknesses if the largest one rides ya too high.

                    Have you ever used your homemade DAM on the ground and how did it
                    hold up? Being able to reliably go-to-ground is one of the safety
                    features of the commercial models.

                    Doug Frost
                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                      --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> Asked:
                      "Have you ever used your homemade DAM on the ground
                      and how did it hold up? Being able to reliably
                      go-to-ground is one features of the commercial
                      models." Doug Frost

                      Hi Doug, My DAM started out as just an Air Mattress.
                      I slept on it on the ground/floor a lot as I was
                      testing various ways to close the open end after I
                      inflated the Poly Tubes. The Poly Tubes I use are 2
                      mil and are not fragile. The only problem I had was
                      when my kittens played on it. I found a few little
                      holes that I was able to seal with duct tape. I
                      recommend carrying an extra Poly Tube and almost
                      everyone carries duct tape.

                      I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
                      November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
                      GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
                      Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
                      Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
                      DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
                      problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
                      was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
                      degrees F.

                      My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
                      Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
                      than most. I have a separate Down hood that can also
                      be used if necessary. My Down Top Cover buttons to
                      the DAM. Buttons are lighter and easier to attach
                      than zippers.

                      Bill in Texas - we are having a cold day today - high
                      only 89 degrees F.

                      __________________________________
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Bill in Houston
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                        Not trying to be a smart-aleck at all, here. Maybe find a butcher or a
                        meat/fruit processing place with a big freezer... Just an idea.

                        Bill in Houston

                        > > But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking for somewhere 4-
                        > 5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F. Any suggestions?
                      • Lenny Nichols
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                          Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock or a shorter one?

                          Lenny (also in Texas)

                        • jack_tier
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down
                            since
                            > > last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches
                            and
                            > > with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
                            > > bottom with 2+ on the sides...
                            >
                            > DOH! That makes a difference. I guess my overstuff brings mine
                            up to
                            > that thickness, then.
                            >
                            > I'll have to add a top blanket, but I'm gonna try to see how cold
                            > can get with the underquilts, too.
                            >
                            > I think I'm going to Yosemite for Columbus weekend...hoping to see
                            20F
                            > then.
                            >
                            > > If three + inches on the bottom is your goal
                            >
                            > Not really a goal, that's just the thickness of the DAM (2.8").
                            Using
                            > the ORM instead of the two underquilts would save a full pound and
                            > about $150, too. (It's just that I already have the Nest/NS combo
                            > test.)
                            >
                            > Thanks for the info. Any idea how cold you could get with the
                            Nest/NS
                            > on bottom and ORM inside the hammock?

                            Nest and No Sniveller on the bottom and Old Rag Mtn took me to 25
                            degrees, piece of cake, at SORUCK on the river at NOC 25 Jan 05,
                            slept 0001 to 0915 straight thru no nature calls, had a watch cap
                            pulled over my eyes so I missed the morning arrival...warm as toast
                            could have gone lower easy.

                            PS. these were 1.5 inch Nest and NS and 2.5 inch Old Rag Mtn vs the
                            current 2+ and 3+ inch thick models.

                            jack
                          • Bill Fornshell
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                              Lenny, My current one is 30" wide by 78" long. So I
                              would say, Yes, full length.

                              I am in San Antonio where we are about to have a
                              couple of days with our high temp under 90. It really
                              feels nice outside down to about 60 in the morning. I
                              should go for a walk.

                              Bill
                              --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

                              > Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock
                              > or a shorter one?
                              >
                              > Lenny (also in Texas)

                              > removed]

                              __________________________________
                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Thomas Vickers
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                                I really wanted to hang the old hammock out during Rita (Live north of
                                Houston a bit), but wife wouldn't have it.

                                I can't wait to get under 100 for a few days. Nasty heat, and humidty

                                TV
                              • dlfrost_1
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 30, 2005
                                  <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                                  > I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
                                  > November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
                                  > GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
                                  > Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
                                  > Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
                                  > DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
                                  > problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
                                  > was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
                                  > degrees F.
                                  >
                                  > My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
                                  > Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
                                  > than most.

                                  Sounds good... I've been following your experiments and reliability
                                  was my only remaining concern. I'm looking forward to hearing your
                                  after-trip report.

                                  Soon, we'll probably have to start telling newbie/wannabe
                                  hammockcampers to keep their tents--to use for down stuffing!

                                  I'm currently moving to a place near Sevierville, and can see the
                                  Smokies from the window of my bedroom.

                                  Verily I say unto you: There shall be much winter testing.

                                  Doug Frost
                                • BRIAN
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
                                    Hey everyone,

                                    My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                    honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                                    for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                                    now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                                    this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                    won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                                    praying for cold weather too.

                                    Brian
                                    T-BACK
                                  • jwj32542
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite!

                                      Awesome! Which model did you get? You gonna get a SPE or something
                                      for your shoulders and hips?

                                      For some reason, I don't have any condensation problems with the Exped
                                      DAM, even when I'm very warm. CCF gives me a clammy back even when
                                      I'm cool. It must be the type of covering Exped uses...very
                                      comfortable.
                                    • Michael B. Carter
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                        Brian,

                                        I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                                        I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago, and was as
                                        comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                                        It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth the extra
                                        effort.
                                        It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.

                                        Enjoy...

                                        Michael

                                        At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                                        >Hey everyone,
                                        >
                                        >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                        >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                                        >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                                        >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                                        >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                        >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                                        >praying for cold weather too.
                                        >
                                        >Brian
                                        >T-BACK

                                        >hammock
                                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                                        >food
                                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                                        >camping
                                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                        >outdoors
                                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                                        >camper
                                        ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                        > *

                                      • J.D. Hoessle
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                                          > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                          > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.

                                          Comgrats, Brian!

                                          I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!

                                          Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just fine
                                          and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a bit "higher" in
                                          the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more. I "discovered"
                                          that cold spots were eliminated!

                                          > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                          > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                                          > praying for cold weather too.

                                          ...hehehe!

                                          Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just delivered a
                                          20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep snow
                                          or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing your
                                          girl..?

                                          Happy Trails,

                                          J.D.
                                        • Coy
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                            OK guys, I'm jealous. I could use one tonight. I bought a
                                            replacement target pad (the 27 x 72 x 3/8) the other day. (gave the
                                            old one to the dogs) and found a yoga pad here at the house. This
                                            pad is really thin but heavier than the much bigger target pad.
                                            It's 20 x 72 by about 1/8. I'm carrying my converted sleeping
                                            sleeping bag and plan to put it around my hammock and sleeping on
                                            top of that with the pads on top of that. It was too agrivating
                                            when I put it in another hammock below me the other night. This
                                            will give me about 1.5 inches of down below me unless i can shake
                                            more of the down to the bottom. It's 21 here this morning and 23
                                            at huntsville on the news. they said tonight would be colder with
                                            lows in the upper teens. should be a little cooler 2 hours north of
                                            here. Cody has chickend out again so I'll be solo. Makes me a
                                            little nervous as I have been to 16 F before but was where i could
                                            walk home if needed. I guess i could hike the 6 miles back to the
                                            car if needed but the gate will be locked so i hope that dont
                                            happen. I'll be in a 5 F sleeping bag I'm testing for BGT so if my
                                            underinsulation is good enought I dont forsee any problems. I'll
                                            try to get a few pics if my camera dont freeze. I plan to keep it
                                            in the bag with me overnight. I'm outa here in a little while so
                                            wish me luck.

                                            Coy Boy

                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                                            <carterm@m...> wrote:

                                            > Brian,
                                            >
                                            > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                                            > I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago,
                                            and was as
                                            > comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                                            > It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth
                                            the extra
                                            > effort.
                                            > It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.
                                            >
                                            > Enjoy...
                                            >
                                            > Michael
                                            >
                                            > At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                                            > >Hey everyone,
                                            > >
                                            > >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                            > >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                                            Thanks
                                            > >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try
                                            it
                                            > >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should
                                            drop
                                            > >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that
                                            she
                                            > >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                                            she's
                                            > >praying for cold weather too.
                                            > >
                                            > >Brian
                                            > >T-BACK

                                            t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+campi
                                            ng&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlC
                                            ZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>Camping
                                            > >hammock
                                            > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                            t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                            w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEz
                                            fzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                                            > >food
                                            > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                            t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4
                                            =Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXj
                                            LyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                                            > >camping
                                            > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                            t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                            w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEI
                                            pgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                            > >outdoors
                                            > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                            t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                            w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8Kw
                                            ziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                                            > >camper
                                            > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                            t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=G
                                            si+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJ
                                            QwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                            > > *

                                          • Coy
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                              The world is going to the dogs...

                                              I put my dogs in the basement last night. When I let them out this
                                              morning Freckls was ready to go. Nelly Sweet Pea sorta looked out
                                              side then trotted back over to the bed I made them. I had to walk
                                              outside on the frost coverd ground barefooted to get her out...my
                                              feet are still cold. I told the wife and kids to put them back up
                                              tonight. I need one of those doors that they can go in and out but
                                              the flap dont let cold air in all the time.

                                              Coy Boy
                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN"
                                              <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                                              > > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from
                                              my
                                              > > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                                              >
                                              > Comgrats, Brian!
                                              >
                                              > I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!
                                              >
                                              > Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just
                                              fine
                                              > and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a
                                              bit "higher" in
                                              > the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more.
                                              I "discovered"
                                              > that cold spots were eliminated!
                                              >
                                              > > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                              > > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                                              she's
                                              > > praying for cold weather too.
                                              >
                                              > ...hehehe!
                                              >
                                              > Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just
                                              delivered a
                                              > 20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep
                                              snow
                                              > or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing
                                              your
                                              > girl..?
                                              >
                                              > Happy Trails,
                                              >
                                              > J.D.

                                            • J.D. Hoessle
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                                <carterm@m...> wrote:
                                                > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.

                                                Michael- Brian - Slowhike

                                                Seems a lot of us are sold on the Exped DAM. Yes, mine is also the
                                                Downmat 7 - Long.

                                                Mr. Speer, have you considered distributing a "combo" package of the
                                                Exped and SPE...?

                                                OH, Yeah... The usual Disclaimer that I don't work for either, get no
                                                remuneration, etc. Hmmm...? Maybe we should...<g>...!

                                                Note: I have found the "Inflation Time" considerably reduced by
                                                allowing the DAM to just self-inflate for about 20-30 minutes. Seems
                                                to cut the number of "bag-puffs" in half.

                                                Happy Trails,

                                                J.D.
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                                  Brian, Jeff, Tim, Michael

                                                  The excitement over the Exped DAM is justified. And it sounds like we'll
                                                  all be using them on our upcoming Mt Mitchell hike! I'll have my 7 short as
                                                  well as my PeaPod! ..Ed

                                                  Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                                                  Editor, Hammock Camping News

                                                  Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                                                  _____

> [...]

                                                  &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                                                  &k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                                  oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                                  >outdoors
                                                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                                  ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                  &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                                                  &k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                                  oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy

                                                  >camper
                                                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                                  food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                                  g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>
                                                  &k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors
                                                  &w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                                  Camping
                                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                                                  amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                                                  105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                                                  Camping
                                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                                  ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                  &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                                                  Rv
                                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                                                  g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                                                  sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                                                  Gsi
                                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                                  ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                  &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                                                  Happy
                                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                                  ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                  &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                                                  Outdoors
                                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                                                  food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                                  g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                                                  _____

                                                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                                  * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                                                  _____

                                                • jwj32542
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                                    I'm still deciding whether or not to bring it on my snow camping
                                                    trip next weekend. It's supposed to get into the teens, but up in
                                                    the Sierras the weather can change fast so I want to be prepared for
                                                    a bit below that.

                                                    I was thinking about the PeaPod, Exped 7, and JRB No Sniveller.
                                                    Should keep me nice and toasty below zero. I don't think I'll need
                                                    a SPE since I have the PeaPod.

                                                    Or the 3 Season Set and PeaPod would be lighter for below zero, but
                                                    I don't have anything to lay around on outside (or go to ground with
                                                    if it gets really bad).

                                                    I was thinking about a torso-length CCF instead of the DAM, since
                                                    it's lighter and I can drag it around camp as a sit pad for the snow
                                                    throne I'm gonna make. But a .5" CCF might not be enough extra
                                                    insulation and I don't want the extra bulk. Plus it's just not as
                                                    comfy.

                                                    What do you guys think?

                                                    PeaPod, Exped and NS for ~84 oz, or
                                                    PeaPod, 3 Season Set for ~74 oz?