Re: [Hammock Camping] Exped DAM

  • jack_tier
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
      > Brian - I had read the BGT reviews, and they touched on the info
      I'm
      > looking for but didn't really provide a lot of details...a mention
      > of using it in the HH, but that's about all. Thanks for the link,
      > though!
      >
      > Bill - Below 30F is why I'm looking at the DAM. I figure I can do
      > it with underquilts, but I want to test the weight and bulk for
      the
      > same warmth once it gets really cold.
      >
      > - JRB Nest and NS - 42 oz, 7x7x14 stuffed, $400
      >
      > - Exped DAM 7 - 35 oz, 5x12 stuffed, $150
      > -- SPE with pads - ~10 oz, plus the bulk of the CCF wings
      >
      > The thing is, 2 underquilts give 3" of loft, just like the DAM 7
      > (2.8" fully inflated). And the bulk with the SPE wings makes them
      > about equal. However, according to Ed's site the DAM will get you
      > to 0F. (Youngblood says that hasn't been tested, but it's an
      > extrapolation.)
      >
      > I don't think the 2 JRB's will get me to zero, but I don't know
      that
      > for sure. I hope to find a place to test them both soon!
      >
      > What's the coldest you've been in yours?
      >
      > Thanks for the comments, guys! Anyone else want to post cold-
      > weather (below ~15F) results?

      Jeff,

      The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down since
      last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches and
      with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
      bottom with 2+ on the sides...

      If three + inches on the bottom is your goal, the JRB Old Rag Mtn
      winter quilt which now has tabs for under quilt use and is is
      3+inches of 800pf and weighs just 24 oz...with the suspension system
      weight will total 26 oz...cost $ 267.... A much lighter and less
      expensive approach.

      Jack
      www.jacksrbetter.com
    • richard_nisley
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
        You have come up with a very intriguing concept! Your idea has the
        added benefit of having bottom insulation that is applicable if you
        have to go to the ground using the hammock as a bivy. The under
        quilts don't allow for this contingency.

        In hammocks like the HH, do you think that the approximately 3" of
        insulation under you may result in too confining of a top space?
        What hammock types are you going to test with? Do you think the
        wider Exped Dlx would eliminate the requirement for the SPE and
        closed cell foam wings?

        Richard

        > Bill - Below 30F is why I'm looking at the DAM. I figure I can do
        > it with underquilts, but I want to test the weight and bulk for
        the
        > same warmth once it gets really cold.
        >
        > - JRB Nest and NS - 42 oz, 7x7x14 stuffed, $400
        >
        > - Exped DAM 7 - 35 oz, 5x12 stuffed, $150
        > -- SPE with pads - ~10 oz, plus the bulk of the CCF wings
        >
        > The thing is, 2 underquilts give 3" of loft, just like the DAM 7
        > (2.8" fully inflated). And the bulk with the SPE wings makes them
        > about equal. However, according to Ed's site the DAM will get you
        > to 0F. (Youngblood says that hasn't been tested, but it's an
        > extrapolation.)
        >
        > I don't think the 2 JRB's will get me to zero, but I don't know
        that
        > for sure. I hope to find a place to test them both soon!
        >
        > What's the coldest you've been in yours?
        >
        > Thanks for the comments, guys! Anyone else want to post cold-
        > weather (below ~15F) results?
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "richard_nisley"
          <richard_nisley@m...> wrote:
          > You have come up with a very intriguing concept!

          Other folks were doing this stuff long before me. I got the DAM
          numbers from Ed and Youngblood, and Risk has reported the lowest
          temps in a hammock that I've seen. I'm just along for the ride!

          > In hammocks like the HH, do you think that the approximately 3" of
          > insulation under you may result in too confining of a top space?
          > What hammock types are you going to test with? Do you think the
          > wider Exped Dlx would eliminate the requirement for the SPE and
          > closed cell foam wings?

          The BGT review that used the Dlx in a HH said he had to keep his
          arms on his chest or they would touch the hammock and get cold.
          I'll still use the SPE for my tests.

          He also didn't mention anything about the top space. I think it
          might hold a HH open wider, which might compensate for sitting up
          higher. I'm going to test in a HH and a homemade Speer.

          But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking for somewhere 4-
          5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F. Any suggestions?
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
            wrote:
            > The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down since
            > last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches and
            > with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
            > bottom with 2+ on the sides...

            DOH! That makes a difference. I guess my overstuff brings mine up to
            that thickness, then.

            I'll have to add a top blanket, but I'm gonna try to see how cold I
            can get with the underquilts, too.

            I think I'm going to Yosemite for Columbus weekend...hoping to see 20F
            then.

            > If three + inches on the bottom is your goal

            Not really a goal, that's just the thickness of the DAM (2.8"). Using
            the ORM instead of the two underquilts would save a full pound and
            about $150, too. (It's just that I already have the Nest/NS combo to
            test.)

            Thanks for the info. Any idea how cold you could get with the Nest/NS
            on bottom and ORM inside the hammock?
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
              By car or by plane?

              Bill in Texas - 100+ degrees F the last few days.

              --- jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

              > But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking
              > for somewhere 4-
              > 5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F.
              > Any suggestions?

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
                <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                > By car or by plane?

                Plane would sure open up a lot more possibilities, eh?

                But I'll be driving.
              • dlfrost_1
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
                  > How many folks here have used the Exped DAM? I'm thinking about
                  > getting one and wondering how well they work in a hammock. I know
                  > Ed's was comfy at the April SEHHA, but I only laid on it for a few
                  > minutes.
                  >
                  > Can you guys offer some insights?
                  > - How long does it take to blow up with the stuff sack?
                  > - How easy it to inflate in the hammock? Did you have to put it on
                  > the ground to inflate and deflate?

                  Ed pumped up a torso-length Exped for us at the hammock hangout and
                  it was somewhat slow going because (like most DAMs) the seam-sealed
                  stuffsack is used like a bellows to pump the thing up. It should be
                  just as easy (easier?) to inflate in the hammock as on the ground.

                  A SPD/DAM/sleeping-bag setup is what I'm planning on for winter
                  camping.

                  Doug Frost
                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 27, 2005
                    The reason I bought the Warmlite DAM was because it
                    was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy
                    to blow up. When you do it right. My Warmlite DAM
                    takes about 14 bags of air which takes less than a
                    minute to blow up. The best way to blow it up is with
                    it in the Hammock. If I tell you anymore everyone will
                    want one and then everyone will find out the simple
                    secret of being warm in a Hammock is with a DAM. Then
                    I made my own DAM and everything got lighter, cheaper
                    and better.

                    I have tried very hard not to talk about all the
                    things being sold that you think will keep you warm in
                    a Hammock. If you read Ed's book you will read about
                    inches of Pad vs what it takes to stay warm at a given
                    temperature. I use that but convert it to "R" value.
                    The only true way to build a cold weather hammock
                    system. Under you if you use "Down - Air = DAM" less
                    weight than Pads and less volume.

                    I have just watched the second part of the PBS Special
                    on Bob Dylan so all I can say is get a Warmlite DAM or
                    stay "Stuck on Stupid".

                    Bill in Texas

                    __________________________________
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • dlfrost_1
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                      <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                      > The reason I bought the Warmlite DAM was because it
                      > was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy
                      > to blow up. When you do it right. My Warmlite DAM
                      > takes about 14 bags of air which takes less than a
                      > minute to blow up. The best way to blow it up is with
                      > it in the Hammock. If I tell you anymore everyone will
                      > want one and then everyone will find out the simple
                      > secret of being warm in a Hammock is with a DAM. Then
                      > I made my own DAM and everything got lighter, cheaper
                      > and better.
                      [...]
                      > The only true way to build a cold weather hammock
                      > system. Under you if you use "Down - Air = DAM" less
                      > weight than Pads and less volume.

                      The lower the temps go below freezing the more efficient DAMs are
                      relative to other systems. My suspicion with the Warmlite DAM is
                      that the extra shoulder width wrapping around you tends to squeeze
                      the down in your bag or quilt. Also, the Exped DAMs come in
                      differing thicknesses if the largest one rides ya too high.

                      Have you ever used your homemade DAM on the ground and how did it
                      hold up? Being able to reliably go-to-ground is one of the safety
                      features of the commercial models.

                      Doug Frost
                    • Bill Fornshell
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                        --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> Asked:
                        "Have you ever used your homemade DAM on the ground
                        and how did it hold up? Being able to reliably
                        go-to-ground is one features of the commercial
                        models." Doug Frost

                        Hi Doug, My DAM started out as just an Air Mattress.
                        I slept on it on the ground/floor a lot as I was
                        testing various ways to close the open end after I
                        inflated the Poly Tubes. The Poly Tubes I use are 2
                        mil and are not fragile. The only problem I had was
                        when my kittens played on it. I found a few little
                        holes that I was able to seal with duct tape. I
                        recommend carrying an extra Poly Tube and almost
                        everyone carries duct tape.

                        I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
                        November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
                        GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
                        Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
                        Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
                        DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
                        problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
                        was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
                        degrees F.

                        My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
                        Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
                        than most. I have a separate Down hood that can also
                        be used if necessary. My Down Top Cover buttons to
                        the DAM. Buttons are lighter and easier to attach
                        than zippers.

                        Bill in Texas - we are having a cold day today - high
                        only 89 degrees F.

                        __________________________________
                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Bill in Houston
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                          Not trying to be a smart-aleck at all, here. Maybe find a butcher or a
                          meat/fruit processing place with a big freezer... Just an idea.

                          Bill in Houston

                          > > But first I have to find a good place. I'm looking for somewhere 4-
                          > 5 hours from Monterey that gets down to about 0F. Any suggestions?
                        • Lenny Nichols
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                            Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock or a shorter one?

                            Lenny (also in Texas)

                          • jack_tier
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > The Nest and No sniveller are each filled to 2+ inches of Down
                              since
                              > > last April...That puts their doubled up thickness at 4+ inches
                              and
                              > > with Down shifted to the bottom in one quilt, will put 5+ on the
                              > > bottom with 2+ on the sides...
                              >
                              > DOH! That makes a difference. I guess my overstuff brings mine
                              up to
                              > that thickness, then.
                              >
                              > I'll have to add a top blanket, but I'm gonna try to see how cold
                              > can get with the underquilts, too.
                              >
                              > I think I'm going to Yosemite for Columbus weekend...hoping to see
                              20F
                              > then.
                              >
                              > > If three + inches on the bottom is your goal
                              >
                              > Not really a goal, that's just the thickness of the DAM (2.8").
                              Using
                              > the ORM instead of the two underquilts would save a full pound and
                              > about $150, too. (It's just that I already have the Nest/NS combo
                              > test.)
                              >
                              > Thanks for the info. Any idea how cold you could get with the
                              Nest/NS
                              > on bottom and ORM inside the hammock?

                              Nest and No Sniveller on the bottom and Old Rag Mtn took me to 25
                              degrees, piece of cake, at SORUCK on the river at NOC 25 Jan 05,
                              slept 0001 to 0915 straight thru no nature calls, had a watch cap
                              pulled over my eyes so I missed the morning arrival...warm as toast
                              could have gone lower easy.

                              PS. these were 1.5 inch Nest and NS and 2.5 inch Old Rag Mtn vs the
                              current 2+ and 3+ inch thick models.

                              jack
                            • Bill Fornshell
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                                Lenny, My current one is 30" wide by 78" long. So I
                                would say, Yes, full length.

                                I am in San Antonio where we are about to have a
                                couple of days with our high temp under 90. It really
                                feels nice outside down to about 60 in the morning. I
                                should go for a walk.

                                Bill
                                --- Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

                                > Bill, do you use a full length DAM in your hammock
                                > or a shorter one?
                                >
                                > Lenny (also in Texas)

                                > removed]

                                __________________________________
                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Thomas Vickers
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 29, 2005
                                  I really wanted to hang the old hammock out during Rita (Live north of
                                  Houston a bit), but wife wouldn't have it.

                                  I can't wait to get under 100 for a few days. Nasty heat, and humidty

                                  TV
                                • dlfrost_1
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 30, 2005
                                    <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                                    > I am trying to arrange my life so I can do a hike this
                                    > November/December. I want to start at Newfound Gap
                                    > GSMNP and hike south on the AT. My plan is to go to
                                    > Dicks Creek Gap. If I can go I will have to sleep in
                                    > Shelters during the Smokies part. I will sleep on my
                                    > DAM/Sleep System in the shelters and expect no
                                    > problems with it. It may be to warm as this design
                                    > was made with enough Down and Loft to go to "0"
                                    > degrees F.
                                    >
                                    > My DAM/Down Sleep System is a lot like many of the
                                    > Pad/Top Bag systems on the market but mine is lighter
                                    > than most.

                                    Sounds good... I've been following your experiments and reliability
                                    was my only remaining concern. I'm looking forward to hearing your
                                    after-trip report.

                                    Soon, we'll probably have to start telling newbie/wannabe
                                    hammockcampers to keep their tents--to use for down stuffing!

                                    I'm currently moving to a place near Sevierville, and can see the
                                    Smokies from the window of my bedroom.

                                    Verily I say unto you: There shall be much winter testing.

                                    Doug Frost
                                  • BRIAN
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
                                      Hey everyone,

                                      My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                      honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                                      for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                                      now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                                      this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                      won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                                      praying for cold weather too.

                                      Brian
                                      T-BACK
                                    • jwj32542
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 8, 2005
                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...>
                                        wrote:
                                        > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite!

                                        Awesome! Which model did you get? You gonna get a SPE or something
                                        for your shoulders and hips?

                                        For some reason, I don't have any condensation problems with the Exped
                                        DAM, even when I'm very warm. CCF gives me a clammy back even when
                                        I'm cool. It must be the type of covering Exped uses...very
                                        comfortable.
                                      • Michael B. Carter
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                          Brian,

                                          I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                                          I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago, and was as
                                          comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                                          It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth the extra
                                          effort.
                                          It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.

                                          Enjoy...

                                          Michael

                                          At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                                          >Hey everyone,
                                          >
                                          >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                          >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer. Thanks
                                          >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try it
                                          >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should drop
                                          >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                          >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                                          >praying for cold weather too.
                                          >
                                          >Brian
                                          >T-BACK

                                          >hammock
                                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                                          >food
                                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                                          >camping
                                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                          >outdoors
                                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                                          >camper
                                          ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                          > *

                                        • J.D. Hoessle
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN" <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                                            > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                            > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.

                                            Comgrats, Brian!

                                            I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!

                                            Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just fine
                                            and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a bit "higher" in
                                            the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more. I "discovered"
                                            that cold spots were eliminated!

                                            > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                            > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think she's
                                            > praying for cold weather too.

                                            ...hehehe!

                                            Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just delivered a
                                            20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep snow
                                            or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing your
                                            girl..?

                                            Happy Trails,

                                            J.D.
                                          • Coy
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                              OK guys, I'm jealous. I could use one tonight. I bought a
                                              replacement target pad (the 27 x 72 x 3/8) the other day. (gave the
                                              old one to the dogs) and found a yoga pad here at the house. This
                                              pad is really thin but heavier than the much bigger target pad.
                                              It's 20 x 72 by about 1/8. I'm carrying my converted sleeping
                                              sleeping bag and plan to put it around my hammock and sleeping on
                                              top of that with the pads on top of that. It was too agrivating
                                              when I put it in another hammock below me the other night. This
                                              will give me about 1.5 inches of down below me unless i can shake
                                              more of the down to the bottom. It's 21 here this morning and 23
                                              at huntsville on the news. they said tonight would be colder with
                                              lows in the upper teens. should be a little cooler 2 hours north of
                                              here. Cody has chickend out again so I'll be solo. Makes me a
                                              little nervous as I have been to 16 F before but was where i could
                                              walk home if needed. I guess i could hike the 6 miles back to the
                                              car if needed but the gate will be locked so i hope that dont
                                              happen. I'll be in a 5 F sleeping bag I'm testing for BGT so if my
                                              underinsulation is good enought I dont forsee any problems. I'll
                                              try to get a few pics if my camera dont freeze. I plan to keep it
                                              in the bag with me overnight. I'm outa here in a little while so
                                              wish me luck.

                                              Coy Boy

                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"
                                              <carterm@m...> wrote:

                                              > Brian,
                                              >
                                              > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.
                                              > I used it to below freezing in Nantahala a couple of weeks ago,
                                              and was as
                                              > comfy and warm as I've ever been.
                                              > It's a little more work than a CCF pad to inflate, but well worth
                                              the extra
                                              > effort.
                                              > It's going with me to Mt. Mitchell for sure.
                                              >
                                              > Enjoy...
                                              >
                                              > Michael
                                              >
                                              > At 01:31 AM 12/9/05 +0000, you wrote:
                                              > >Hey everyone,
                                              > >
                                              > >My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from my
                                              > >honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                                              Thanks
                                              > >for all the input Dave. Too bad it's not cold enough here to try
                                              it
                                              > >now. I hear a cold front is moving through and the temps should
                                              drop
                                              > >this week-end. I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that
                                              she
                                              > >won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                                              she's
                                              > >praying for cold weather too.
                                              > >
                                              > >Brian
                                              > >T-BACK

                                              t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+campi
                                              ng&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlC
                                              ZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>Camping
                                              > >hammock
                                              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                              t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                              w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEz
                                              fzWFwiJRiH1Q>Camping
                                              > >food
                                              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                              t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4
                                              =Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXj
                                              LyTeLFO1Ew>Rv
                                              > >camping
                                              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                              t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                              w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEI
                                              pgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                              > >outdoors
                                              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                              t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&
                                              w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8Kw
                                              ziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy
                                              > >camper
                                              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                              t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=G
                                              si+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJ
                                              QwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                              > > *

                                            • Coy
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                                The world is going to the dogs...

                                                I put my dogs in the basement last night. When I let them out this
                                                morning Freckls was ready to go. Nelly Sweet Pea sorta looked out
                                                side then trotted back over to the bed I made them. I had to walk
                                                outside on the frost coverd ground barefooted to get her out...my
                                                feet are still cold. I told the wife and kids to put them back up
                                                tonight. I need one of those doors that they can go in and out but
                                                the flap dont let cold air in all the time.

                                                Coy Boy
                                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "BRIAN"
                                                <opnheartscrub@t...> wrote:
                                                > > My Exped DAM arrived by UPS tonite! This is an early gift from
                                                my
                                                > > honey. I'm now one step closer to staying warm on Springer.
                                                >
                                                > Comgrats, Brian!
                                                >
                                                > I have had and used mine for just a couple months and LOVE it...!
                                                >
                                                > Do you also have an SPE...? The Exped DAM fits in the SPE just
                                                fine
                                                > and does wonders for me. Because you will be riding a
                                                bit "higher" in
                                                > the hammock, the sides seem to wrap-around you more.
                                                I "discovered"
                                                > that cold spots were eliminated!
                                                >
                                                > > I can't wait. The dog is very disappointed that she
                                                > > won't be able to take over my side of the bed tonite. I think
                                                she's
                                                > > praying for cold weather too.
                                                >
                                                > ...hehehe!
                                                >
                                                > Weather permitting, I will have SkyDog with me. UPS just
                                                delivered a
                                                > 20 oz. insulated doggie-bed for her...<g>... If it's really deep
                                                snow
                                                > or sub-zero, SkyDog says she's not coming! Will you be bringing
                                                your
                                                > girl..?
                                                >
                                                > Happy Trails,
                                                >
                                                > J.D.

                                              • J.D. Hoessle
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                                  <carterm@m...> wrote:
                                                  > I also bought a 7 long a couple of months ago.

                                                  Michael- Brian - Slowhike

                                                  Seems a lot of us are sold on the Exped DAM. Yes, mine is also the
                                                  Downmat 7 - Long.

                                                  Mr. Speer, have you considered distributing a "combo" package of the
                                                  Exped and SPE...?

                                                  OH, Yeah... The usual Disclaimer that I don't work for either, get no
                                                  remuneration, etc. Hmmm...? Maybe we should...<g>...!

                                                  Note: I have found the "Inflation Time" considerably reduced by
                                                  allowing the DAM to just self-inflate for about 20-30 minutes. Seems
                                                  to cut the number of "bag-puffs" in half.

                                                  Happy Trails,

                                                  J.D.
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                                    Brian, Jeff, Tim, Michael

                                                    The excitement over the Exped DAM is justified. And it sounds like we'll
                                                    all be using them on our upcoming Mt Mitchell hike! I'll have my 7 short as
                                                    well as my PeaPod! ..Ed

                                                    Moderator, Hammock Camping List

                                                    Editor, Hammock Camping News

                                                    Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

                                                    _____

> [...]

                                                    &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                                                    &k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                                    oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>Gsi
                                                    >outdoors
                                                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                                    ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                    &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                                                    &k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outd
                                                    oors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>Happy

                                                    >camper
                                                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
                                                    food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                                    g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>
                                                    &k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors
                                                    &w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>Outdoors

                                                    Camping
                                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=C
                                                    amping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=
                                                    105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g> hammock

                                                    Camping
                                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                                    ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                    &.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q> food

                                                    Rv
                                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Campin
                                                    g+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.
                                                    sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew> camping

                                                    Gsi
                                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                                    ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                    &.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw> outdoors

                                                    Happy
                                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camp
                                                    ing+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105
                                                    &.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA> camper

                                                    Outdoors
                                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+
                                                    food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.si
                                                    g=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                                                    _____

                                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                                    * Visit your group "hammockcamping

                                                    _____

                                                  • jwj32542
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                                                      I'm still deciding whether or not to bring it on my snow camping
                                                      trip next weekend. It's supposed to get into the teens, but up in
                                                      the Sierras the weather can change fast so I want to be prepared for
                                                      a bit below that.

                                                      I was thinking about the PeaPod, Exped 7, and JRB No Sniveller.
                                                      Should keep me nice and toasty below zero. I don't think I'll need
                                                      a SPE since I have the PeaPod.

                                                      Or the 3 Season Set and PeaPod would be lighter for below zero, but
                                                      I don't have anything to lay around on outside (or go to ground with
                                                      if it gets really bad).

                                                      I was thinking about a torso-length CCF instead of the DAM, since
                                                      it's lighter and I can drag it around camp as a sit pad for the snow
                                                      throne I'm gonna make. But a .5" CCF might not be enough extra
                                                      insulation and I don't want the extra bulk. Plus it's just not as
                                                      comfy.

                                                      What do you guys think?

                                                      PeaPod, Exped and NS for ~84 oz, or
                                                      PeaPod, 3 Season Set for ~74 oz?