Valuable lesson

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
      I learned a pretty valuable lesson last night. Military-grade 550
      cord is almost strong enough to use as a hammock support. Almost.

      I've been using it with my hammock stand for a while with no problems,
      but last night I ended up on my butt! Got a nice bruise, too.

      The cord length was about 12", the angle with me in the hammock was
      about 40-45 degrees, and I weigh 185 lbs. It should have held, but it
      failed at the knot.

      So I replaced it with double-up 550 cord...
    • Mark Bayern
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
        Knots are known to reduce the strength of the line. But it looks like
        you've just rediscovered that fact!

        For a little more data on the subject:
        http://www.uscgaux.org/~0820807/strength.htm

        Mark

        On 9/26/05, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:
        > I learned a pretty valuable lesson last night. Military-grade 550
        > cord is almost strong enough to use as a hammock support. Almost.
        >
        > I've been using it with my hammock stand for a while with no problems,
        > but last night I ended up on my butt! Got a nice bruise, too.
        >
        > The cord length was about 12", the angle with me in the hammock was
        > about 40-45 degrees, and I weigh 185 lbs. It should have held, but it
        > failed at the knot.
        >
        > So I replaced it with double-up 550 cord...

      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
          Would you say experience is the best teacher. Was it
          "real" from the military 550 cord? I have used real
          550 cord on one of my hammocks since finding the
          hammock when in Vietnam. I removed the cord they were
          using and replaced it with some military issue 550
          cord. I doubled my cord. I was reminded that a
          Parachute has a lot of cords on them.

          There are now very strong very light spectra cords you
          can get but your in the business and I expect you know
          that.

          Bill in Texas

          --- jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

          > I learned a pretty valuable lesson last night.
          > Military-grade 550
          > cord is almost strong enough to use as a hammock
          > support. Almost.
          >
          > I've been using it with my hammock stand for a while
          > with no problems,
          > but last night I ended up on my butt! Got a nice
          > bruise, too.
          >
          > The cord length was about 12", the angle with me in
          > the hammock was
          > about 40-45 degrees, and I weigh 185 lbs. It should
          > have held, but it
          > failed at the knot.
          >
          > So I replaced it with double-up 550 cord...

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
            Haha...yeah, experience is the best teacher. I knew that knots would
            reduce the strength, but I've used it for a while on other hammocks
            with no problem. I guess that knot was in the same place for too long
            and it finally hit its limit.

            And it was real 550 cord...cut it off a chute myself. But like you
            said, they have several cords on there. I doubled it up this time.

            I have some Spectra but didn't want to cut it down to the size I
            needed for this stand. Guess I should have, looking back on it... :)
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
              Quarter inch hollow braid yellow polypro rope is very inexpensive and
              has a tensile strength of 1000 pounds. I may have to try some of it to
              decrease my hammock weight and bulk. It has a breaking strength twice
              as strong as 550 cord and does not have the problem with the jacket
              getting pulls like I have seen on some 550 cord when it gets mashed into
              tree bark. 3/8 inch is a little heavier but has a working strength
              above 2000 pounds. Either is strong enough for hammock use.

              I was very impressed with Youngblood's use of it.

              Rick

              jwj32542 wrote:

              > Haha...yeah, experience is the best teacher. I knew that knots would
              > reduce the strength, but I've used it for a while on other hammocks
              > with no problem. I guess that knot was in the same place for too long
              > and it finally hit its limit.
              >
              > And it was real 550 cord...cut it off a chute myself. But like you
              > said, they have several cords on there. I doubled it up this time.
              >
              > I have some Spectra but didn't want to cut it down to the size I
              > needed for this stand. Guess I should have, looking back on it... :)

              > Camping hammock
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>
              > Camping food
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>
              > Rv camping
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>
              >
              > Gsi outdoors
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
              > Happy camper
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
              > Outdoors
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
                > Quarter inch hollow braid yellow polypro rope
                <snip>
                > I was very impressed with Youngblood's use of it.

                I liked how he didn't need tree huggers because it spreads out flat
                when loaded. I bet it makes setup even quicker.