[Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Test

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 22, 2005
      > At 90 mph sustained winds, there
      > is too much risk of something flying through the air and into my
      > hammock. Like a garage door.

      Ron White (I think) has a good bit about this on the Blue Collar
      Comedy Tour. He's talking about a Red Neck (capitalized, as it's a
      proper noun!) tying himself to a tree during a hurricane to prove he
      could survive it.

      "It's not the wind blowing that kills you. It's WHAT the wind is
      blowing..."

      If you haven't seen the Blue Collar videos, you're really missing
      out. They're so much funnier than the TV show.
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 22, 2005
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
        > > At 90 mph sustained winds, there
        > > is too much risk of something flying through the air and into my
        > > hammock. Like a garage door.
        >
        > Ron White (I think) has a good bit about this on the Blue Collar
        > Comedy Tour. He's talking about a Red Neck... [clip]

        Ya' all hang on down there! Seems like Rita is gonna be a
        nasty-nasty-nasty piece of sh,,, ah.... Work!

        Everyone better hang on! $50.00 for gas may be a biot of an economic
        problem, ya know....?

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • jmgiv47
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 22, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:
          > I am in Austin, we are expected to have 90 MPH winds and lots of
          rain.
          > You can bet I will be in my Hammock, I love the storms!

          Corpus Christi might get 90mph, Austin won't. Sustained winds should
          make it to 25mph, gusts a bit higher. I've been through a couple
          hurricanes (edges) in San Antonio and it'd be extremely unusual for
          high winds to make it all the way in from the coast. I think a
          Category 1 (70+mph) hurricane in Austin would be unprecedented. Let
          us know what really happens. And stay dry.

          john
        • AndrĂ© Corterier
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 23, 2005
            The difference to hammocking under your carport will be particularly
            pronounced when hammocking on a cloudless night. If you judge
            temperature by weather reports, then the actual difference, on a cool
            cloudless night between a hammock strung under your carport and one
            strung between two lonely trees not 20 feet off will be quite
            remarkable.

            If you can hang a thermometer from the support line and manage to check
            it at night, you'll have a better idea of what temperatures you were
            actually in, which may help you gauge your likely comfort level "in the
            wild" (though you'll still have to extrapolate how much cooler it will
            get during the night, for which your carport experiment will not
            provide data).

            Unless, of course - you have a second thermometer away from your
            carport in the same nights, in which case you could collect data on
            that aspect as well. If you do, please post it (I could use some data
            like that).

            André

            <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
            <snip>
            > Being under the carport will make things warmer and less dewy than
            > you would be otherwise, so keep that in mind when you start to apply
            > the results of your experiments to the real world.
            >
            > Bill in Houston
          • Lenny Nichols
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 23, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:
              >> I am in Austin, we are expected to have 90 MPH winds and lots of
              >> rain.
              >> You can bet I will be in my Hammock, I love the storms!

              > Corpus Christi might get 90mph, Austin won't. Sustained winds should
              > make it to 25mph, gusts a bit higher. I've been through a couple
              > hurricanes (edges) in San Antonio and it'd be extremely unusual for
              > high winds to make it all the way in from the coast. I think a
              > Category 1 (70+mph) hurricane in Austin would be unprecedented. Let
              > us know what really happens. And stay dry.

              I'm in the Austin area, too. I don't expect sustained winds higher
              than about 35 mph. The current forecast calls for highest sustained
              winds of only 15 to 20 mph. Of course if Rita meanders over here
              after landfall this could change, but that's not expected to happen.
              Currently it looks like Beaumont/Port Arthur are in for a very nasty
              weekend.

              I don't plan to test my hammock during whatever happens here this
              weekend.

              Lenny Nichols