Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Test

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 22 3:58 AM
      I've successfully hammock camped in thunderstorms with 50 mph winds. I
      would not want to be in anything more. At 90 mph sustained winds, there
      is too much risk of something flying through the air and into my
      hammock. Like a garage door. Take care Rat. Take cover.

      Risk

      Rat wrote:

      > I am in Austin, we are expected to have 90 MPH winds and lots of rain.
      > You can bet I will be in my Hammock, I love the storms!
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Vickers <redroach@e...>
      > wrote:
      > > With Rita coming Houston's way, maybe, wonder if I should hang the
      > > hammock for alittle test?
      > >
      > > Just joking folks, I hope.
      > >
      > > TV (north of Houston)

      > Camping hammock
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>
      > Camping food
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>
      > Rv camping
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>
      >
      > Gsi outdoors
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
      > Happy camper
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
      > Outdoors
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 22 7:26 AM
        > At 90 mph sustained winds, there
        > is too much risk of something flying through the air and into my
        > hammock. Like a garage door.

        Ron White (I think) has a good bit about this on the Blue Collar
        Comedy Tour. He's talking about a Red Neck (capitalized, as it's a
        proper noun!) tying himself to a tree during a hurricane to prove he
        could survive it.

        "It's not the wind blowing that kills you. It's WHAT the wind is
        blowing..."

        If you haven't seen the Blue Collar videos, you're really missing
        out. They're so much funnier than the TV show.
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 22 12:15 PM
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
          > > At 90 mph sustained winds, there
          > > is too much risk of something flying through the air and into my
          > > hammock. Like a garage door.
          >
          > Ron White (I think) has a good bit about this on the Blue Collar
          > Comedy Tour. He's talking about a Red Neck... [clip]

          Ya' all hang on down there! Seems like Rita is gonna be a
          nasty-nasty-nasty piece of sh,,, ah.... Work!

          Everyone better hang on! $50.00 for gas may be a biot of an economic
          problem, ya know....?

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.
        • jmgiv47
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 22 12:59 PM
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:
            > I am in Austin, we are expected to have 90 MPH winds and lots of
            rain.
            > You can bet I will be in my Hammock, I love the storms!

            Corpus Christi might get 90mph, Austin won't. Sustained winds should
            make it to 25mph, gusts a bit higher. I've been through a couple
            hurricanes (edges) in San Antonio and it'd be extremely unusual for
            high winds to make it all the way in from the coast. I think a
            Category 1 (70+mph) hurricane in Austin would be unprecedented. Let
            us know what really happens. And stay dry.

            john
          • AndrĂ© Corterier
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 23 6:00 AM
              The difference to hammocking under your carport will be particularly
              pronounced when hammocking on a cloudless night. If you judge
              temperature by weather reports, then the actual difference, on a cool
              cloudless night between a hammock strung under your carport and one
              strung between two lonely trees not 20 feet off will be quite
              remarkable.

              If you can hang a thermometer from the support line and manage to check
              it at night, you'll have a better idea of what temperatures you were
              actually in, which may help you gauge your likely comfort level "in the
              wild" (though you'll still have to extrapolate how much cooler it will
              get during the night, for which your carport experiment will not
              provide data).

              Unless, of course - you have a second thermometer away from your
              carport in the same nights, in which case you could collect data on
              that aspect as well. If you do, please post it (I could use some data
              like that).

              André

              <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
              <snip>
              > Being under the carport will make things warmer and less dewy than
              > you would be otherwise, so keep that in mind when you start to apply
              > the results of your experiments to the real world.
              >
              > Bill in Houston
            • Lenny Nichols
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 23 9:49 AM
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:
                >> I am in Austin, we are expected to have 90 MPH winds and lots of
                >> rain.
                >> You can bet I will be in my Hammock, I love the storms!

                > Corpus Christi might get 90mph, Austin won't. Sustained winds should
                > make it to 25mph, gusts a bit higher. I've been through a couple
                > hurricanes (edges) in San Antonio and it'd be extremely unusual for
                > high winds to make it all the way in from the coast. I think a
                > Category 1 (70+mph) hurricane in Austin would be unprecedented. Let
                > us know what really happens. And stay dry.

                I'm in the Austin area, too. I don't expect sustained winds higher
                than about 35 mph. The current forecast calls for highest sustained
                winds of only 15 to 20 mph. Of course if Rita meanders over here
                after landfall this could change, but that's not expected to happen.
                Currently it looks like Beaumont/Port Arthur are in for a very nasty
                weekend.

                I don't plan to test my hammock during whatever happens here this
                weekend.

                Lenny Nichols