Backyard Testing

  • Wayne Kraft
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 20, 2005
      I have an HH with an underpad and, now that fall is around the corner, I want to do some
      backyard testing to see what what the lower temperature limits are for comfort with this
      setup. Unfortunately, I have no suitable trees for this. They are either too far apart, too
      small or too close to a fence, etc. It looks like my best bet will be to string up the hammock
      between two vertical 4x4 post supports in my carport. I'd like to rig up some quick way to
      hook up the hammock and take it down. I'm thinking a big screw-in eye hook or something,
      but I'm wandering what will be strong enough to hold up the hammock and my 200 lbs. of
      solid (ahem) muscle. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

      Wayne Kaft
    • Moe T. Crow
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 20, 2005
        I have 2 eyehooks in my wall holds me and my 2 kids just fine. if you
        are concerned you can get a bolt with an eye hook on one end and use
        some washers and nut on the oppisite end. unless the 4x4 is rotted you
        won't pull through.

        HTH

        you can also build a portable stand some of the great folks on here
        have directions.

        On 9/20/05, Wayne Kraft <wayneskraft@...> wrote:
        > I have an HH with an underpad and, now that fall is around the corner, I want to do some
        > backyard testing to see what what the lower temperature limits are for comfort with this
        > setup. Unfortunately, I have no suitable trees for this. They are either too far apart, too
        > small or too close to a fence, etc. It looks like my best bet will be to string up the hammock
        > between two vertical 4x4 post supports in my carport. I'd like to rig up some quick way to
        > hook up the hammock and take it down. I'm thinking a big screw-in eye hook or something,
        > but I'm wandering what will be strong enough to hold up the hammock and my 200 lbs. of
        > solid (ahem) muscle. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
        >
        > Wayne Kaft

        "Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don't
        matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 20, 2005
          DEFINITELY the kind with the washer and nut, and not the lag screw
          type. Just my opinion. It eliminates what I consider to be the
          most likely failure mode.

          Being under the carport will make things warmer and less dewy than
          you would be otherwise, so keep that in mind when you start to apply
          the results of your experiments to the real world.

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Moe T. Crow" <moetcrow@g...>
          wrote:
          > I have 2 eyehooks in my wall holds me and my 2 kids just fine. if
          you
          > are concerned you can get a bolt with an eye hook on one end and
          use
          > some washers and nut on the oppisite end. unless the 4x4 is rotted
          you
          > won't pull through.
          >
          > HTH
          >
          > you can also build a portable stand some of the great folks on here
          > have directions.
          >
          > On 9/20/05, Wayne Kraft <wayneskraft@c...> wrote:
          > > I have an HH with an underpad and, now that fall is around the
          corner, I want to do some
        • Thomas Vickers
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 20, 2005
            With Rita coming Houston's way, maybe, wonder if I should hang the
            hammock for alittle test?

            Just joking folks, I hope.

            TV (north of Houston)
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 20, 2005
              It would be easy to just use the tree huggers around the 4x4. Advantage
              is that it will get you practice with the knot. Make sure the 4x4s are
              solid. I'd hate to hear that you have broken your carport.

              Rick

              Wayne Kraft wrote:

              > I have an HH with an underpad and, now that fall is around the corner,
              > I want to do some
              > backyard testing to see what what the lower temperature limits are for
              > comfort with this
              > setup. Unfortunately, I have no suitable trees for this. They are
              > either too far apart, too
              > small or too close to a fence, etc. It looks like my best bet will be
              > to string up the hammock
              > between two vertical 4x4 post supports in my carport. I'd like to rig
              > up some quick way to
              > hook up the hammock and take it down. I'm thinking a big screw-in eye
              > hook or something,
              > but I'm wandering what will be strong enough to hold up the hammock
              > and my 200 lbs. of
              > solid (ahem) muscle. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
              >
              > Wayne Kaft

              > Camping hammock
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>
              > Camping food
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>
              > Rv camping
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>
              >
              > Gsi outdoors
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
              > Happy camper
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
              > Outdoors
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

            • Rat
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 21, 2005
                I am in Austin, we are expected to have 90 MPH winds and lots of rain.
                You can bet I will be in my Hammock, I love the storms!

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Vickers <redroach@e...>

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 22, 2005
                  I've successfully hammock camped in thunderstorms with 50 mph winds. I
                  would not want to be in anything more. At 90 mph sustained winds, there
                  is too much risk of something flying through the air and into my
                  hammock. Like a garage door. Take care Rat. Take cover.

                  Risk

                  Rat wrote:

                  > I am in Austin, we are expected to have 90 MPH winds and lots of rain.
                  > You can bet I will be in my Hammock, I love the storms!
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Vickers <redroach@e...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > With Rita coming Houston's way, maybe, wonder if I should hang the
                  > > hammock for alittle test?
                  > >
                  > > Just joking folks, I hope.
                  > >
                  > > TV (north of Houston)

                  > Camping hammock
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>
                  > Camping food
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>
                  > Rv camping
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>
                  >
                  > Gsi outdoors
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                  > Happy camper
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                  > Outdoors
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 22, 2005
                    > At 90 mph sustained winds, there
                    > is too much risk of something flying through the air and into my
                    > hammock. Like a garage door.

                    Ron White (I think) has a good bit about this on the Blue Collar
                    Comedy Tour. He's talking about a Red Neck (capitalized, as it's a
                    proper noun!) tying himself to a tree during a hurricane to prove he
                    could survive it.

                    "It's not the wind blowing that kills you. It's WHAT the wind is
                    blowing..."

                    If you haven't seen the Blue Collar videos, you're really missing
                    out. They're so much funnier than the TV show.
                  • J.D. Hoessle
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 22, 2005
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
                      > > At 90 mph sustained winds, there
                      > > is too much risk of something flying through the air and into my
                      > > hammock. Like a garage door.
                      >
                      > Ron White (I think) has a good bit about this on the Blue Collar
                      > Comedy Tour. He's talking about a Red Neck... [clip]

                      Ya' all hang on down there! Seems like Rita is gonna be a
                      nasty-nasty-nasty piece of sh,,, ah.... Work!

                      Everyone better hang on! $50.00 for gas may be a biot of an economic
                      problem, ya know....?

                      Happy Trails,

                      J.D.
                    • jmgiv47
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 22, 2005
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:
                        > I am in Austin, we are expected to have 90 MPH winds and lots of
                        rain.
                        > You can bet I will be in my Hammock, I love the storms!

                        Corpus Christi might get 90mph, Austin won't. Sustained winds should
                        make it to 25mph, gusts a bit higher. I've been through a couple
                        hurricanes (edges) in San Antonio and it'd be extremely unusual for
                        high winds to make it all the way in from the coast. I think a
                        Category 1 (70+mph) hurricane in Austin would be unprecedented. Let
                        us know what really happens. And stay dry.

                        john
                      • AndrĂ© Corterier
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 23, 2005
                          The difference to hammocking under your carport will be particularly
                          pronounced when hammocking on a cloudless night. If you judge
                          temperature by weather reports, then the actual difference, on a cool
                          cloudless night between a hammock strung under your carport and one
                          strung between two lonely trees not 20 feet off will be quite
                          remarkable.

                          If you can hang a thermometer from the support line and manage to check
                          it at night, you'll have a better idea of what temperatures you were
                          actually in, which may help you gauge your likely comfort level "in the
                          wild" (though you'll still have to extrapolate how much cooler it will
                          get during the night, for which your carport experiment will not
                          provide data).

                          Unless, of course - you have a second thermometer away from your
                          carport in the same nights, in which case you could collect data on
                          that aspect as well. If you do, please post it (I could use some data
                          like that).

                          André

                          <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                          <snip>
                          > Being under the carport will make things warmer and less dewy than
                          > you would be otherwise, so keep that in mind when you start to apply
                          > the results of your experiments to the real world.
                          >
                          > Bill in Houston
                        • Lenny Nichols
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 23, 2005
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@y...> wrote:
                            >> I am in Austin, we are expected to have 90 MPH winds and lots of
                            >> rain.
                            >> You can bet I will be in my Hammock, I love the storms!

                            > Corpus Christi might get 90mph, Austin won't. Sustained winds should
                            > make it to 25mph, gusts a bit higher. I've been through a couple
                            > hurricanes (edges) in San Antonio and it'd be extremely unusual for
                            > high winds to make it all the way in from the coast. I think a
                            > Category 1 (70+mph) hurricane in Austin would be unprecedented. Let
                            > us know what really happens. And stay dry.

                            I'm in the Austin area, too. I don't expect sustained winds higher
                            than about 35 mph. The current forecast calls for highest sustained
                            winds of only 15 to 20 mph. Of course if Rita meanders over here
                            after landfall this could change, but that's not expected to happen.
                            Currently it looks like Beaumont/Port Arthur are in for a very nasty
                            weekend.

                            I don't plan to test my hammock during whatever happens here this
                            weekend.

                            Lenny Nichols