hammock insulation

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2005
      speaking of staying warm in a hammock, i`ve been wondering about
      something. i sleep on an BA insulated air core which has it`s
      limmitations into cold temps. and i understand there are a lot of
      variables, including weather, a persons sleep system, & of course the
      person. but my question is...if an air pad is fully enclosed (w/ the
      person) inside insulation,say like an under & over quilt, or better
      yet ed`s peapod, would the air in the pad not less of an issue?
      thanks...slowhike
    • AndrĂ© Corterier
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 23, 2005
        Yo, Slowhike, the short answer, I believe, is yes. Long: The BA
        insulated air core's limit derives from the limited amount of space in
        it which is "occupied" by open cell foam. The lower half (or so) does
        not contain such foam. This allows for convection inside the pad
        (though only inside its lower half). Convective heat loss is the reason
        that the big old air mattresses are do darn cold in winter. Once you
        have additional insulation on the other side of the uninsulated side of
        the air core mattress, convection will still happen, but the heat
        throughput will not be any higher than if the air space did not exist
        (just like the big old air mattresses: they don't actually cool you
        down, it's just that their insulative value is only minimally better
        than laying directly on the ground). The BA air core adds comfort over
        its entire thickness, but insulates only with its foam. This does not
        change regardless of where you put it.

        André