First night in a hammock...........suggestions?

  • bjedge540
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 10, 2005
      I spent my first night out last night. I built mine like Rick's
      ZHammock but at 5' wide. Went well until about 5am. The muscles in my
      middle back woke me up they hurt so bad. Does this happen to anyone
      else? Any suggestions? I was sleeping with just a mummy bag. No pad or
      other things added.

      TIA, Barry
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 10, 2005
        get up at 4:30 AM! actually having never had back pian in a hammock I
        cant offer any advice. maybe you stayed in one position too long? my
        only discomfort has been my knees a few times if I sleep awhile with
        them hyperextended.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bjedge540" <janzenbarry@l...>
        wrote:
        > I spent my first night out last night. I built mine like Rick's
        > ZHammock but at 5' wide. Went well until about 5am. The muscles in my
        > middle back woke me up they hurt so bad. Does this happen to anyone
        > else? Any suggestions? I was sleeping with just a mummy bag. No pad or
        > other things added.
        >
        > TIA, Barry
      • bjedge540
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 10, 2005
          Coy,

          I can relate.....my knees hurt a bit as well, I just had to keep
          switching to my sides. I bet a pillow or rolled something under my
          knees would help that though.

          Barry

          > get up at 4:30 AM! actually having never had back pian in a
          hammock I
          > cant offer any advice. maybe you stayed in one position too
          long? my
          > only discomfort has been my knees a few times if I sleep awhile
          with
          > them hyperextended.
          >
          > Coy Boy
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bjedge540"
          <janzenbarry@l...>
          > wrote:
          > > I spent my first night out last night. I built mine like Rick's
          > > ZHammock but at 5' wide. Went well until about 5am. The muscles
          in my
          > > middle back woke me up they hurt so bad. Does this happen to
          anyone
          > > else? Any suggestions? I was sleeping with just a mummy bag. No
          pad or
          > > other things added.
          > >
          > > TIA, Barry
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 10, 2005
            Were you diagonal?
            Were you cold ? (on your back)
            Were you to tight?

            Ralph

            On 9/10/05, bjedge540 <janzenbarry@...> wrote:
            > I spent my first night out last night. I built mine like Rick's
            > ZHammock but at 5' wide. Went well until about 5am. The muscles in my
            > middle back woke me up they hurt so bad. Does this happen to anyone
            > else? Any suggestions? I was sleeping with just a mummy bag. No pad or
            > other things added.
            >
            > TIA, Barry

          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 10, 2005
              Did you have enough sag in the hammock? If you were on your side, and
              if you were on the diagonal, I'm guessing you did.

              Putting a pillow underneath your knees (when laying on your back) can
              keep your knees from hyperextending. Or you can lay your calves up on
              the side of the hammock, which will keep a bend in your knees and
              relieve some lower back pain...especially when you've been hiking all
              day and your back is tight.

              When sleeping on your side, putting a pillow between your knees or
              thighs relieves lower back pain.

              I stuff my rain jacket into its sleeve for a neck pillow and put the
              rest of my clothes in a stuff sack to put between my knees.

              Jeff
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 11, 2005
                If your back got cold, it might cause cramps. I have only spent one
                night in a hammock without a pad or under insulation. It was 80 when I
                went to bed and cooled to 70. I was very chilly.

                Try a stuff sack or rolled piece of clothing for knees. But try a pad
                before giving up the idea of a hammock. Try different positions and
                different amounts of tightness.

                Then compare your experience with sleeping on the ground.

                BTW, if you sleep longer outdoors than you normally do at home, this can
                sometimes cause a backache too. On long winter nights, I sometimes get
                up for almost an hour to look at the stars or listen to the woods before
                climbing back in the warm sack. It does not wreck my night's sleep. It
                improves it.

                Rick

                bjedge540 wrote:

                > I spent my first night out last night. I built mine like Rick's
                > ZHammock but at 5' wide. Went well until about 5am. The muscles in my
                > middle back woke me up they hurt so bad. Does this happen to anyone
                > else? Any suggestions? I was sleeping with just a mummy bag. No pad or
                > other things added.
                >
                > TIA, Barry

              • bjedge540
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 11, 2005
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                  <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                  > Were you diagonal?
                  > Were you cold ? (on your back)
                  > Were you to tight?
                  >
                  > Ralph

                  Ralph,

                  I was diagonal I think. My feet fell off to the right side in
                  a "pocket" and I shifted my shoulders to the left too.

                  I was plenty warm. Temps were in the high 60's I think.

                  I was on the loose side. The ropes were about 7 feet high and
                  hammock was waist high in the center. Seemed like a nice sag based
                  on pics from Ed Speer's book.

                  Barry
                • bjedge540
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 11, 2005
                    <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                    > Were you diagonal?
                    > Were you cold ? (on your back)
                    > Were you to tight?
                    >
                    > Ralph
                    >
                    > On 9/10/05, bjedge540 <janzenbarry@l...> wrote:
                    > > I spent my first night out last night. I built mine like Rick's
                    > > ZHammock but at 5' wide. Went well until about 5am. The muscles
                    in my
                    > > middle back woke me up they hurt so bad. Does this happen to
                    anyone
                    > > else? Any suggestions? I was sleeping with just a mummy bag. No
                    pad or
                    > > other things added.
                    > >
                    > > TIA, Barry

                  • bjedge540
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 11, 2005
                      >Jeff/ Rick,

                      I will try some padding under the knees. That should help. I do know
                      that even with the pain, I still felt better than being on the
                      ground!

                      I also know that when reading in bed with my head propped up with
                      pillows, I have to have a pillow under my lower back to straighten
                      it out or I will have a similar pain. Will have to try a pillow or
                      rolled clothing there as well.

                      Also, my sides of the hammock were sagging a bit. Should I have made
                      the ends in a curve to help lift the sides?

                      Rick, how do you keep the ZHammock tight on the sides?

                      ---Barry

                      > went to bed and cooled to 70. I was very chilly.
                      >
                      > Try a stuff sack or rolled piece of clothing for knees. But try a
                      pad
                      > before giving up the idea of a hammock. Try different positions
                      and
                      > different amounts of tightness.
                      >
                      > Then compare your experience with sleeping on the ground.
                      >
                      > BTW, if you sleep longer outdoors than you normally do at home,
                      this can
                      > sometimes cause a backache too. On long winter nights, I
                      sometimes get
                      > up for almost an hour to look at the stars or listen to the woods
                      before
                      > climbing back in the warm sack. It does not wreck my night's
                      sleep. It
                      > improves it.
                      >
                      > Rick
                      >
                      > bjedge540 wrote:
                      >
                      > > I spent my first night out last night. I built mine like Rick's
                      > > ZHammock but at 5' wide. Went well until about 5am. The muscles
                      in my
                      > > middle back woke me up they hurt so bad. Does this happen to
                      anyone
                      > > else? Any suggestions? I was sleeping with just a mummy bag. No
                      pad or
                      > > other things added.
                      > >
                      > > TIA, Barry

                      subject=Unsubscribe>

                    • dcarm1@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 11, 2005
                        I find that when I sleep in my HH that a mummy bag is too consrtictive. I need to bring my legs up one at a time as I move around throughout the night. My most comfortable position is sort of a figure 4 shape. On my back with my right leg pulled up and out to the side with my right foot under my left knee. I believe that I alternate like this as the night goes on. I awake in the morning without a sore back or legs. I use an REI Big Cat wiich has more room at the shoulders and hips than a mummy bag.

                        I also have found that with a space blanket hung beneath the head half of the HH ( instructions on the HH site but I just support it under the head portion) and clothed in polar fleece pants and shirt I have been comfy down to 27*

                        --dc
                        <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                        > Were you diagonal?
                        > Were you cold ? (on your back)
                        > Were you to tight?
                        >
                        > Ralph
                        >
                        > On 9/10/05, bjedge540 <janzenbarry@l...> wrote:
                        > > I spent my first night out last night. I built mine like Rick's
                        > > ZHammock but at 5' wide. Went well until about 5am. The muscles
                        in my
                        > > middle back woke me up they hurt so bad. Does this happen to
                        anyone
                        > > else? Any suggestions? I was sleeping with just a mummy bag. No
                        pad or
                        > > other things added.
                        > >
                        > > TIA, Barry

                        Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 11, 2005
                          The muscles in
                          > my
                          > middle back woke me up they hurt so bad. Does this happen to
                          > anyone
                          > else? Any suggestions? I was sleeping with just a mummy bag. No
                          > pad or
                          > other things added.
                          >
                          > TIA, Barry

                          Barry,
                          Maybe the sag wasn't right for you. I have a very bad back and I find
                          if I get too much sag I get some back pain. Once I tried to tough it
                          out because I was too tired to get up and fix the problem and I really
                          paid for my laziness the next day. Perhaps you could try some
                          differnt setups. I find that if I set mine up almost level, it
                          stretches to just the right hang for me. YMMV. Good luck. IMHO the
                          worst night swinging in the trees is better than the best night on the
                          ground.

                          T-BACK
                        • bjedge540
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 11, 2005
                            DC,

                            Actually I have found that I can make a figure 4 shape with my bag.
                            I kept shifting around and around and nothing helped. I would have
                            been okay in the woods, but my bed and my wife were just a few steps
                            away, so I wimped out at 5am. I think I may have to hang it tighter
                            and see how that does.

                            Thanks for the tips everyone, Barry

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, dcarm1@c... wrote:
                            > I find that when I sleep in my HH that a mummy bag is too
                            consrtictive. I need to bring my legs up one at a time as I move
                            around throughout the night. My most comfortable position is sort
                            of a figure 4 shape. On my back with my right leg pulled up and out
                            to the side with my right foot under my left knee. I believe that I
                            alternate like this as the night goes on. I awake in the morning
                            without a sore back or legs. I use an REI Big Cat wiich has more
                            room at the shoulders and hips than a mummy bag.

                            > I also have found that with a space blanket hung beneath the head
                            half of the HH ( instructions on the HH site but I just support it
                            under the head portion) and clothed in polar fleece pants and shirt
                            I have been comfy down to 27*

                            > --dc
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                            > <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                            > > Were you diagonal?
                            > > Were you cold ? (on your back)
                            > > Were you to tight?
                            > >
                            > > Ralph
                            > >
                            > > On 9/10/05, bjedge540 <janzenbarry@l...> wrote:
                            > > > I spent my first night out last night. I built mine like
                            Rick's
                            > > > ZHammock but at 5' wide. Went well until about 5am. The
                            muscles
                            > in my
                            > > > middle back woke me up they hurt so bad. Does this happen to
                            > anyone
                            > > > else? Any suggestions? I was sleeping with just a mummy bag.
                            No
                            > pad or
                            > > > other things added.
                            > > >
                            > > > TIA, Barry

                            > Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors
                            >

                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            Service.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 11, 2005
                              The sides are not completely straight. The edge usually falls over my
                              face.

                              While others on the list use a lot of sag, I tend to tie my hammock
                              about 4-5 feet high on the trees and have much less sag. I often have
                              the hammock straight between the trees before sitting in it. Try
                              experimenting. Your back may like a lot of sag or a little. There is
                              no reason to go with one over the other just to be in style! :-)

                              Here is an example of what my hammock looks like before I sit in it:

                              http://www.imrisk.com/atsouth/P5170020_web.JPG

                              And this is the sort of sag I like with weight in the hammock:

                              http://www.imrisk.com/atnov03/rickwithflute_web.jpg

                              Lying down, it looks a lot like this:

                              http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/warmhammock40.jpg

                              Rick

                            • jwj32542
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 11, 2005
                                > > Also, my sides of the hammock were sagging a bit. Should I have
                                made
                                > > the ends in a curve to help lift the sides?

                                To keep the sides from sagging, check Ed's book on how to gather and
                                tie the ends of the hammock.

                                Basically, it says that once you gather the ends, grab the two
                                corners and pull them out a few inches before you tie the knot (or
                                whip the ends). That'll keep your edges from sagging into your face
                                so much.

                                When I gather my ends, I first fold the hammock into a "W" shape,
                                then gather, then pull the ends out a few inches, then whip. The W
                                shape makes the centerline of the hammock and the edges
                                tighter...this supports my butt while making a "pocket" for my feet
                                and shoulders, and helps me lay a little flatter.

                                Also, when I'm on the diagonal, the centerline being tighter
                                supports my knee a little when I'm laying on my back, and helps a
                                bit with the hyperextended knees.

                                I used to hang my hammock as tight as I could get it. It was pretty
                                comfortable on my back, but after a time my shoulders started
                                hurting from the squeeze. It really closed me off, too...the sag
                                keeps the hammock open so I can see the stars. As Risk said, just
                                experiment and see what you're comfortable with.
                              • bjedge540
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                  Rick and Jeff?

                                  Thanks for the suggestions. Guess I need to try different sags and
                                  gathers/folds. Mine is folded in half and then gathered like Ed shows
                                  in his book.

                                  My question is.....How do you keep the ends that you pull, staying
                                  out? The hem on the end slides right up to the whipping no matter how
                                  tight I make it. I had tried this on my daughter's hammock but the
                                  ends just squared up when weight was applied. I ended up cutting the
                                  corners off and re-hemming but the 2 inches that I took still seemed
                                  to let the sides hang a bit. This is why I thought a large curve may
                                  help....but I didn't want to mess up a good hammock trying this.
                                  My "Testhammock" of cheap fabric doesn't do this. I guess the fabric
                                  has more stretch than nylon.

                                  Thanks all, Barry

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                    Mine slides out if I don't whip it tight enough. Maybe fold, then
                                    pull, then put a few stitches in before you gather. Also, maybe tie a
                                    knot like Ed does instead of whip if you're having a problem.

                                    Like you said, it might also just be stretchier fabric. If that's the
                                    case, it should stretch out over time, so just keep redoing it and
                                    eventually it should stop stretching.

                                    I wouldn't cut a big curve. If though the hammock is shaped like a
                                    football, your feet poke out the extra fabric at the end of the
                                    curve. If you remove that fabric, you won't be able to get diagonal.
                                    Just a theory...I could be wrong. If you try it, be sure to let us
                                    know how it works.
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                      Barry,

                                      I no longer pull the edges like Ed suggests. I do not cut the edge
                                      except in a straight line. I guess that the idea of the edges not
                                      being tight no longer bothers me. It does not affect the use of the
                                      hammock or my being able to sleep well.

                                      If you chose to cut the fabric to try to remove the loose edge, it would
                                      have to be cut concave, decreasing the width in the middle of the
                                      hammock. Since that is where my knees and shoulders are, making the
                                      hammock narrower there does not seem like a great idea. While cutting
                                      the edge like a football like you may be thinking about might seem to
                                      work, all this does is make the long edge longer and leaves more room
                                      for the edge to be loose and flap over. The Hennessey does something
                                      like this and that is the reason it has tie outs.

                                      If I really wanted to eliminate the loose edge, I would sew a thin
                                      diameter shock cord or piece of elastic in the long edge hem.

                                      But, I don't think the loose edge is a problem, so I have not tried it.

                                      Rick

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                        Rick,

                                        I think I have not been clear. I was thinking of cutting the ends
                                        that get whipped in a large curve and make the sides shorter than
                                        the middle of the hammock. This would in theory create the "sack"
                                        that Ed uses. Like I said in my previous post, I tried this on my
                                        daughter's hammock and it didn't seem to help. I just took 2" out of
                                        the last 5 " of the tips at an angle. Maybe more is needed. I was
                                        just wanting the sides to be tighter so I don't feel like I am going
                                        to fall out. Maybe it is that I am just new to this ;-)

                                        Guess I will just try whipping it with the end hem rolled to hold
                                        and see if that helps. That way I can go back if I don't like it.

                                        --Barry

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                          For quick and dirty, try a double sheet bend that is easier than whipping.
                                          Ralph

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                            I did try that with the end hem. It works OK, though I found no real
                                            difference.

                                            I think that after you sleep a bit more you will be more convinced that
                                            you are not about to fall out. I only know of one hammock camper who
                                            fell out of a hammock, and she is blonde. She was not asleep, and what
                                            she was doing has never been revealed.

                                            The one other point I might suggest to make sleeping in a hammock easier
                                            is to use your sleeping bag as a quilt. unzip it down to your knees and
                                            pile it on top of you. Use other insulation under you, like a pad.

                                            Rick

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                              > I only know of one hammock camper who
                                              > fell out of a hammock, and she is blonde.

                                              Coy fell out of his in Hot Springs...but he was fighting off that bear
                                              who stole Seuss' thumb, I heard. :0
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                                I thought Coy fell through his.

                                                Rick

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                                  Ya, Coy fell through, rather than out.

                                                  Bill in Houston

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                                    > I thought Coy fell through his.

                                                    Haha...yeah, I guess you're right. Either way, the sound was enough
                                                    to scare the bear away.

                                                    Not sure if it was the sound of the hammock ripping or the sound of
                                                    Coy hitting the ground that did it, though...
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                                      I've heard Coy hit the ground before. But I have very good hearing.

                                                      It's not the sound of two foot ball teams smashing into one another, and
                                                      not the sound of a marshmallow hitting the ground... Probably best
                                                      described as somewhere in between.

                                                      But we are straying pretty far from the fact that fair JC is the only
                                                      person that I am aware of ever falling out of a camping hammock - and
                                                      she was not asleep. And it is the reassurance that hammock campers do
                                                      not fall out of hammocks while asleep that we were discussing.

                                                      Rick

                                                      jwj32542 wrote:

                                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
                                                      > > I thought Coy fell through his.
                                                      >
                                                      > Haha...yeah, I guess you're right. Either way, the sound was enough
                                                      > to scare the bear away.
                                                      >
                                                      > Not sure if it was the sound of the hammock ripping or the sound of
                                                      > Coy hitting the ground that did it, though...

                                                    • dlfrost_1
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Sep 12, 2005
                                                        > If I really wanted to eliminate the loose edge, I would sew a thin
                                                        > diameter shock cord or piece of elastic in the long edge hem.
                                                        >
                                                        > But, I don't think the loose edge is a problem, so I have not tried
                                                        it.

                                                        If you do the walls of the hammock will sit up high, blocking the
                                                        view ("canyon country"). If there is enough loose fabric it will
                                                        actually close up over you ("bodybagging"). My solution is HH-style
                                                        bungie tieouts, attached to tarp stakes at opposing corners. It
                                                        solves the problem so I can move on to something else... (I'm
                                                        adapting an Eagle's Nest Double, hung loosly, for the winter system.)

                                                        Doug Frost
                                                      • Rat
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Sep 13, 2005
                                                          Barry,
                                                          I tried what you are describing when I was in Iraq. My hammock was
                                                          super wide (like 6 feet) and I wanted to cut down on the side sag. I
                                                          folded the material in half, cut from the fold to the sides at an
                                                          angle, scrunched the bottom so the sides were straight, bunched,
                                                          gathered and whipped. Here is what happened:

                                                          1) The sides were nice and tight, too tight really. Getting in was
                                                          okay (not as easy as a reguler hammock tho), but once I was in the
                                                          sides snaped together due to my weight in the bottom of the hammock.
                                                          Getting out was a pain, all my weight trying to keep the top closed
                                                          and me trying to push through it. You would think it wouldn't be
                                                          anymore difficult that getting out of a HH through the slit, same
                                                          principal sort of, but in the HH only your legs go through then the
                                                          weight is lifted and it is easy to get the rst od the way out, in
                                                          this version your whole body (well about 2/3 anyway) has to go
                                                          through. I never could find the sweet spot, I eventually just used
                                                          side tie outs. I also found with this super wide hammock that the
                                                          more sag I put into it the flatter I could lay, to a point.

                                                          2) I couldn't lay as flat either. Sometimes I kick m y feet over the
                                                          edge to take the tension off of my knees. That is impossible in this
                                                          type of hammock.

                                                          If the material you are tying keeps slipping after you have whipped
                                                          it try this. I used a piece of non-slip drawer liner and wrapped it
                                                          around the gathered hammock end and then whipped everything
                                                          together. I used zip ties to hold everything so I could get a good
                                                          tight whip.

                                                          I think someone also tried the catenary cut hammock (cat cut along
                                                          the sides), as I remember it didn't work very well either.
                                                        • Coy
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Sep 13, 2005
                                                            another advantage of the loose edges is the hammocks sits better. it
                                                            dont cut up into your knees as much. this is handy if you have to
                                                            cook under the tarp on a rainy day.

                                                            Coy Boy

                                                          • Sandy Kramer
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Sep 15, 2005
                                                              I have had the Feathered Friends' Rock Wren bag (it's listed under Bivy Bag in their catalog) for several years...also added some extra down.

                                                              I mentioned this to Ed Speer and he told me he had one as well. Pricey but will last for years.

                                                              if you google "feathered friends rock wren" you'll see some backpacker and other reviews

                                                              sandy in miami

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Sep 16, 2005
                                                                Rat,

                                                                Thanks for the feedback. First hand experience always saves others
                                                                from making similar mistakes. Guess I can just work with what I have
                                                                for the time being.

                                                                Thanks all, Barry