New projects on my page

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
      If you're interested, I put up a few new projects yesterday.

      A Jardine-style headnet that I might be able to hang from the
      ridgeline for use in the hammock.
      http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearHeadnet.html

      Mesh hammock tubes...no big deal.
      http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearHammockTubes.html

      And my homememade SPE
      http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearSPE/html

      I have an idea for a Speer hammock that'll let me use any old sleeping
      bag as an underquilt with no modifications to the bag, too. Hopefully
      I can get a prototype done this weekend.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005

        > Mesh hammock tubes...no big deal.
        > http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearHammockTubes.html

        These looked like a pair of nylons(panty hose) to me when I first
        looked at them. Has anyone tried using a pair of nylons to see if they
        work as tubes?

        jamie in az
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 10, 2005
          > These looked like a pair of nylons(panty hose) to me when I first
          > looked at them. Has anyone tried using a pair of nylons to see if
          they
          > work as tubes?

          Haha...that's what I thought when I first took the picture, too. I
          thought about using hose, which would certainly be light, but I don't
          think they'd be long enough to cover a tarp. Maybe if you sewed 2-3
          together to make one long tube it would be long enough, then repeat
          for the other side.

          Someone wanna give it a try?
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 10, 2005
            Hmm,

            One of the principle benefits I find with tubes is that I can lay the
            hammock on wet ground and it stays dry inside the silnylon tubes. Also
            the tubes act as a buffer to keep the hammock dry when the hanging
            straps get wet.

            What is the advantage of tubes made of bug net?

            Rick

            jwj32542 wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
            > > These looked like a pair of nylons(panty hose) to me when I first
            > > looked at them. Has anyone tried using a pair of nylons to see if
            > they
            > > work as tubes?
            >
            > Haha...that's what I thought when I first took the picture, too. I
            > thought about using hose, which would certainly be light, but I don't
            > think they'd be long enough to cover a tarp. Maybe if you sewed 2-3
            > together to make one long tube it would be long enough, then repeat
            > for the other side.
            >
            > Someone wanna give it a try?

          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 10, 2005
              > What is the advantage of tubes made of bug net?

              I only use them for the tarp...not for the hammock.

              I don't really like the idea of stuffing a wet tarp into a non-
              breathable tube...more water weight to carry, keeps it from drying,
              might help it mildew since I don't use my tarp unless I really have
              to, etc.

              Since the tarp is slightly rolled before I put it in there, I'm not
              sure how much an effect it will have in practice...but that's why I
              made it. I'll report back if I find any benefit.

              To give credit, I got the idea from someone on the forums...think it
              was Slowhike.

              Jeff
            • bjedge540
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 10, 2005
                I also like the SilNylon because it is so slippery. Makes pulling
                the tubes on very easy. I would think mesh would be sticky for me.
                My bug net gets wrapped with the hammock inside of the tubes of
                SilNylon. Works great!

                Thanks Rick for the plans on your site.

                Barry

                > Hmm,
                >
                > One of the principle benefits I find with tubes is that I can lay
                the
                > hammock on wet ground and it stays dry inside the silnylon tubes.
                Also
                > the tubes act as a buffer to keep the hammock dry when the hanging
                > straps get wet.
                >
                > What is the advantage of tubes made of bug net?
                >
                > Rick
                >
                > jwj32542 wrote:
                >
                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...>
                wrote:
                > > > These looked like a pair of nylons(panty hose) to me when I
                first
                > > > looked at them. Has anyone tried using a pair of nylons to
                see if
                > > they
                > > > work as tubes?
                > >
                > > Haha...that's what I thought when I first took the picture,
                too. I
                > > thought about using hose, which would certainly be light, but I
                don't
                > > think they'd be long enough to cover a tarp. Maybe if you sewed
                2-3
                > > together to make one long tube it would be long enough, then
                repeat
                > > for the other side.
                > >
                > > Someone wanna give it a try?

                subject=Unsubscribe>

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 11, 2005
                  Thanks. Your idea makes great sense for a tarp to me. I don't mind
                  having a wet tarp in a set of tubes, but getting the inside of the tubes
                  dry is hard, much harder than drying the tarp.

                  BTW, I don't roll the tarp before putting it in tubes. I run the two
                  lines on one end through the loop that holds the centerline an then just
                  pull. But then I have a tarp which is only 5 feet wide.

                  Rick

                  jwj32542 wrote:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
                  > > What is the advantage of tubes made of bug net?
                  >
                  > I only use them for the tarp...not for the hammock.
                  >
                  > I don't really like the idea of stuffing a wet tarp into a non-
                  > breathable tube...more water weight to carry, keeps it from drying,
                  > might help it mildew since I don't use my tarp unless I really have
                  > to, etc.
                  >
                  > Since the tarp is slightly rolled before I put it in there, I'm not
                  > sure how much an effect it will have in practice...but that's why I
                  > made it. I'll report back if I find any benefit.
                  >
                  > To give credit, I got the idea from someone on the forums...think it
                  > was Slowhike.
                  >
                  > Jeff

                  > Camping hammock
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=4AsTHlCZmH7iJEKRQhZ69g>
                  > Camping food
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+food&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=Cxs6cfzsEzfzWFwiJRiH1Q>
                  > Rv camping
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Rv+camping&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=aT_kvYUCLpXjLyTeLFO1Ew>
                  >
                  > Gsi outdoors
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=rECy3cqNEIpgzeVoZEsTnw>
                  > Happy camper
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=sXLsCHw8KwziLp8dHz7HkA>
                  > Outdoors
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+hammock&w2=Camping+food&w3=Rv+camping&w4=Gsi+outdoors&w5=Happy+camper&w6=Outdoors&c=6&s=105&.sig=u4gP0ieVizFNuJQwXwkrjg>

                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 11, 2005
                    > BTW, I don't roll the tarp before putting it in tubes. I run the
                    two
                    > lines on one end through the loop that holds the centerline an then
                    just
                    > pull. But then I have a tarp which is only 5 feet wide.

                    I use the JRB 8x8, and if I just slide them down I end up having to
                    stuff both corners in the tubes. If I roll the corners loosely, I can
                    slide the tubes down pretty easily.

                    I'm testing a MacCat now but haven't had it out in the field yet.
                    Your method might work better for that shape...I'll give it a try.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 11, 2005
                      yep... that was me who shared the idea of net or breathable skins for the fly, & you explain my reasoning for them well. i hope they serve well in testing. unfortunitly, i haven`t made a set yet, but i have the stuff. now i need to do it! thanks...slowhike

                      jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i...> wrote:
                      > What is the advantage of tubes made of bug net?

                      I only use them for the tarp...not for the hammock.

                      ..
                      .To give credit, I got the idea from someone on the forums...think it
                      was Slowhike.

                      Jeff

                      tim garner