hot springs sept 05

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8 1:41 PM
      rick... i was glad to see your email. it sounds like you may be
      concidering the hot springs trip. i think it would be great to meet &
      talk to you as well as ed & other hammock hangers. i did meet ed at
      trail days, but look forward to having more time to talk, share ideas,
      & projects w/ ed & others who can make it. if you come rick, be sure
      to bring copys of your book to sell & sign (& ed too of course).
      i just looked at the photos & read about the shanandoa trip(i know i
      didn`t spell that right:~). you`ve got a real gift for sharing good
      information, in good way. also, i`m glad you know the one who created
      the beautiful places we love to walk in. thanks...slowhike
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 9 5:16 AM
        I think a plan is coming together for the weekend. My plan is to be there.

        Risk

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9 5:34 AM
          Glad to hear it Rick. Will be good to see ya again..Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Editor, Hammock Camping News

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14 10:19 AM
            I think I'll be at the get-together, too. I'll probably leave a
            little early from work Friday afternoon (I hope I can beat the Friday
            rush-hour traffic on I-85 towards Gastonia) and get to Hot Springs not
            too late in the evening.

            My camping hammock has been gathering dust recently, but the porch
            hammock has gotten a lot of use. It is made of a thick denim. It's
            much warmer than the camping hammock. This past weekend was the first
            time the night temperatures have gotten cool enough (below 65 degrees)
            that I needed extra insulation underneath me to keep warm. Even then,
            all I needed was a fleece blanket. I have yet to use the SPE I got a
            month or two ago.

            According to the weather radar here at work, I should have my hammock
            set up on the coast right now to test the drip-prevention system.

            Marta
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 14 10:37 AM
              Glad to hear you'll make it Marta. I'll be setting up Friday afternoon.
              Karen's hiking in with her brother on Friday-they're doing a 2 day AT hike
              from Allen Gap. See ya in Hot Springs..Ed

[...]

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "hammockcamping

              _____

            • seuss910
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 14 9:11 PM
                No, you really shouldn't.

                I had a hammock and couple of tarps set up in the back yard today to
                see how they would do in windier and wetter conditions than normal.
                Results?

                1) Catenary side cuts in a tarp are ineffective in Hurricane force
                winds. The cat cut tarp was quieter and flapped less than a similar
                square tarp at lower wind speeds, but past 30mph it doesn't make a
                lick of difference.

                2) I don't care how big your tarp is, when it's raining 4+inches/hour
                and blowing 70mph, you're getting wet.

                3) "Fringe" to divert drips on the hanging straps is pretty much
                useless in horizontal rain.

                4) DriDucks work better than I thought they might, but the flap
                covering the front jacket zipper flops around too much in the wind
                and the zipper isn't waterproof.

                Fortunately, the power just came back on about 10 minutes ago so I'll
                be able to throw the hammock in the dryer and reinforce the tarp tie-
                out points tomorrow.

                seuss

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 15 5:20 AM
                  Wow seuss, you hammock campers really are crazy! LOL.

                  Actually I'm jealous-I've never gotten to test in winds that high. Glad you
                  survived..Ed

                  _____