Re: [Hammock Camping] Newbie Question

  • RedsTanMenagerie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 6, 2005
      I’m sorry I don’t have the emotional energy to rewrite this specifically
      for this list. I know it is somewhat of topic. Mr Buffalo bill (pack goat
      baby) was getting me back into the woods and it was auchuly threw him that I
      found the hammock hiking. I know a lot of you wrote me privatally interested in
      pack goats so I thought I’d tell you all what happened. Poor Mr buffalo
      loved sleeping under my hammock and we had been practicing lots with him and my
      service dog Tao who sleaps quite well in the hammock! I had hoped to take
      buffalo and Tao out camping in the woods this month for his first over night in
      the woods and get some more hours on my hammock. Mostly I’m crying to
      anyone and everyone as an emotional vent, sory if it is not apropreate. If it isn’
      t please erase it from the list.
      I havn’t been able to write much on the two goaty lists (packing and
      carting) but I wanted to tell everyone my devastating news and hopefully give
      everyone else a reason to hug there goaties tonight.
      To start I’ll retell everyone who I am to maybe log memories as to who I am.
      I am disabled as is my 7 year old son (well 7 in feb). I was an avid
      backcountry hiker until I became disabled. I was training my pack goat boy
      (buffalo bill) to be a pack goat for me so I could do long trips in the woods
      again. I also trained my girls for shorter day hikes (they are milking ladys, not
      hikers haha).
      I started with two Nubian girls I raised since babies (they would be 3 years
      old this feb). Missy was my first and she was even crate trained, potty
      trained, and lived in the house. She was just like a pet dog and was greatly
      loved. She got quite lonely being a lone goaty so we bought her her very own
      pet, Diamond, her cousin. We got Diamond to keep Missy company and they were
      an inseperable pair. They were quite bonded.
      January 31st and Febuary 3rd they had there first babies. Diamond first
      gave birth to 3 lovely babies. My dear friend and I were up all night guarding
      them from the cold out in the barn that first night. Soon after Missy had
      her two lovely babies. Again we were up with them, quite a bonding experance.
      Missy, soon after birth rejected Mr Buffalo Bill, choosing only her
      daughter Calamity Jane.
      I bottle fed Mr Buffalo and he lived in the house. He thinks he is a dog
      for this reason, is perfectly leash trained and crate trained and LOVES going
      for car rides! He began his pack training right away and has been making
      great progress for his age. We had plans to hike the 2 week long wonderland
      trail (he would be allowed to hike it because he is helping midigate my
      disabilitys) together in 2007.
      Fast forward in time To last Thursday morning (sep 1st) my son was rushed to
      the hospital for illness related to his disabilitys (for those medically
      smart he got lactic adidosis). We were discharged Saturday and coming home
      after dark I couldn’t find a puppy that was here on the farm. He was donated to
      be trained as a service dog but he wasn’t working out so I asked the owner
      to take him back and she agreed.
      The 6 month old GSD somehow got into the pasture area and massicured my
      goats. He has been around them since he was 3 months old and never damaged them,
      I would never have guessed he would take it this far! The first thing we
      saw was Missy my first ever goat laying flat on her side quietly crying. She
      was horribly attacked and dying. We put her down emediatally as there was
      nothing I could do for her.
      After that I turned my attention to Diamond (my other mamma goat). She was
      lying down but quiet and head up. Then I quickly realized she was badly
      hurt. She was cut up REAL bad and couldn’t stand. She was also freazing and in
      shock. We couldn’t pull up her temp with blankets. Those that know, know
      blankets radiate heet you give off and without any heet made there is nothing
      to warm the blanket, of course they stop wind too. We got her into my living
      room (yes it was a mess but worth trying to save her) and with towels
      rotating from the dryer and swaddling we pulled up her temp ( a maricle). I tended
      her wounds and was with her round the clock camping in my sleeping bag with
      her. If I left her side she cried and cried (she loved her people like we
      are part of the herd). I still remember how the penicillin ingections must
      have hurt, she cried and cried from them. They warned me it would hurt but I was
      still shocked. Despite round the clock treatment and wound clensings and
      care Diamond Passed Monday evening after a very long battle we hoped to win.
      Missy’s Daughter, Calamity Jane was also very badly attacked but the woulds
      were all laserations. It looks like she was attacked with a razor all over
      her body. Hundreds of cuts (literally) all over her body. She came out of
      shock much better and is recovering and expected to make a “full” recovery.
      She will be one giant scar and at this point I don’t know if she wil ever be
      breedable or milkable. She is now my only living doe and most likely unable to
      do the things I need from her, breed and milk.
      My son and I are both on disability with very small incomes so this was a
      huge blow. I was starting a goats milk soap side business with hopes to bring
      in a bit of money. They were dried off (no more milking) last month because
      my son was doing to much hospital time and my backup milker moved cross
      country. But I had plans on having them back in milk by January. Yes both my
      girls were pregnant when hey died. I use the milk for everything from milk
      drinking to yogert. It really helps stretch our food budget! I also sell the
      baby bucks they give me to cover there feed costs. So this has been a huge
      finantual blow!
      Buffalo and the other little buck I hadn’t sold yet were also attacked but
      not as badly. Buffalo is recovering fine but I am now facing the reality he
      may never be able to pack. His leg was ingured and he has wounds all over his
      pack area that are making scars. Even if his leg heels I worry his skin
      will not allow him to wear a pack.
      I really feel like someone stole the wind from my sails!!! I spent so much
      money trying to save my baby and she still died and to rub salt in the
      wounds the “renderer” wants $150 just to take them away and they resell my babys
      for dog food (how horrible is that for dog attack victims)!!!! The worst
      thing is that I allowed that animal on my land so it is my fault! Somehow it
      would have been easyer if a dog somehow dug under my fence and got them.
      The dog was taken away the next morning so at least my living babys are
      alive despite looking like whipping boys! I am now basically at a stand still
      with my goats, it looks like I lost my packer, and my only remaining
      (future) milker.
      I am sending the same message to both the lists and I’m sorry for the
      repeate. I don’t have the emotional energy to keep writing it over and over
      because it’s to sad. I am forwarding the same email to my two girl’s breeder.
      They are going to be heart broken to, they loved them to and came a number of
      times just to visit them. Missy was especially there favorite.
      Everyone hug your babies and make sure there safe!!!!!!!
      Melissa and Tao

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 7, 2005
        7 a.m. and there are tears in my eyes...SOOO sorry. it seems as if you are constantly being challenged.

        for those of you who remember, i sent Melissa the Byer's Moskito Traveler (the first set of micro-ropes hadn't arrived so they were re-sent. PM me later when they arrive, Melissa).

        I had a message from her last week saying that it was working out great and that Tao DID fit in with her, which was something we discussed online as he's a fairly large dog.

        sandy in miami

      • sebastiantoney
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
          Hi, everyone:

          For those of you who have made your own hammocks, how hard is it? Is
          it cheaper to make a Speer style hammock than it is to buy a new
          HH/Clark Hammock?

          I want to get into bicycle touring and stealth camping. It seems
          hammmock are the way to go. I've made a habit out of making my own
          gear. My bike is homebuilt and my bicycle panniers (saddlebags) are
          homemade from old book bags I bought from the Thrift Store.

          thanks
        • rob dawson
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
            I am no expert but i think if you have been sewing your panniers and
            making a bike, then you will be able to sew the simple seams on the speer
            like hammock.

            Get Ed's book, it has all the info you will need to get started, visit
            here often and the regulars will most likely help you out.

            There are a few regs, here with their own sites, bountiful information
            awaits you.

            www.iamrisk.com is the one i can think of right away.

            robi

            ps. send me info on your bike, of list, I am very interested in such
            things as making my own bike

            On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:29:55 +0100, sebastiantoney <funbun2@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi, everyone:
            >
            > For those of you who have made your own hammocks, how hard is it? Is
            > it cheaper to make a Speer style hammock than it is to buy a new
            > HH/Clark Hammock?
            >
            > I want to get into bicycle touring and stealth camping. It seems
            > hammmock are the way to go. I've made a habit out of making my own
            > gear. My bike is homebuilt and my bicycle panniers (saddlebags) are
            > homemade from old book bags I bought from the Thrift Store.
            >
            > thanks

          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
              wrote:
              > For those of you who have made your own hammocks, how hard is it? Is
              > it cheaper to make a Speer style hammock than it is to buy a new
              > HH/Clark Hammock?

              Welcome!

              It's always less expensive to DIY and if you have made your own bike &
              panniers it will be EASY. I made Risk's ZHammock and it worked
              despite my lowly skills with the sewing machine. I have since then
              purchased both an HH and a Speer because my sewing leaves a lot to be
              desired...<g>...

              Get Mr. Speer's book 'cause it will save you a lot of time. Study
              Risk's & J.J.'s sites too.

              Feel free to ask *ANYTHING* here. Great group and more than willing
              to answer and suggest and joke about everything. Also, please provide
              YOUR feedback as you go along; it helps us all.

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
                Well, I see robi has just posted the same thoughts I had.

                RE: Mr. Speer's book, there was an offer to have a copy "circulate"
                around; i.e., passing it to each "newbie" in turn.

                I thought that was a great idea because each user could add their notes.

                Oooops! Sorry, Mr. Speer! It occurs to me that you are selling those
                *GREAT* books...<g>...

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.
              • jonas4321
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006

                  > www.iamrisk.com is the one i can think of right away.

                  Great advice, but a typo might be problematic.

                  Risk's website is www.imrisk.com.

                  Personally, I believe that if you shop for the right materials and get
                  them on sale, you'll save a bundle making a Speer-type hammock.
                  However, if you want to save every ounce you can and that is more
                  important than making do with well-priced fabrics, you can spend more
                  than a pre-made one costs. The cost of your bugnet material needs to
                  be factored in too.

                  As with any hobby, it depends on your goals and your aversions.
                  Neither way is right ow wrong, but one answer does not fit all.

                  Have fun exploring, however! That is a joy to most anyone with a
                  hobby, I imagine.
                • dogman3162002
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 15, 2006
                    Hi all

                    I am new to the board and to hammock camping. I have almost finished
                    my first hammock. As I was playing around with it I noticed how narrow
                    it was at the top and was wondering if there was a way to widen it up
                    a bit(let in a little air). I know that the hennesy has some bungee
                    tie outs on the side but I'm not sure where the are sewn in. I
                    wouldn't mind doing that but I don't know where to put them.
                    Any help would be great.

                    Thanks
                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 16, 2006
                      If you don't hang it tight, and you lay diagonally, it should open up
                      a pretty wide.

                      If you want to do the HH thang, sew some shockcord by your right knee
                      and left shoulder, and use lightweight shockcord to stake out the
                      sides.

                      Jeff
                    • seuss910
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 16, 2006
                        Before you sew, you might want to try attaching some pullout lines in
                        various places using some crocodile clips
                        (http://www.acehardware.com/sm-crocodile-clip-5302--pi-1276254.html).
                        It's a backyard solution only since they don't hold a thin, slippery
                        fabric that well under stress and it's unnecessary weight, but you can
                        try different combinations and find out which (if any) work for you
                        before attacking your hammock with a sharp pointed object (a sewing
                        needle)

                        -s

                      • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 27, 2006
                          > I am new to the board and to hammock camping. I have almost finished
                          > my first hammock. As I was playing around with it I noticed how
                          narrow
                          > it was at the top and was wondering if there was a way to widen it up
                          > a bit(let in a little air). I know that the hennesy has some bungee
                          > tie outs on the side but I'm not sure where the are sewn in. I
                          > wouldn't mind doing that but I don't know where to put them.
                          > Any help would be great.

                          First of all, I think you might need to to retie the hammock ends.
                          You didn't say if you knotted or whipped the ends but in order for the
                          sides to be loose you need to have the edges even when you gather them
                          and not pull on the "ears" which puts tension on the sides. Also
                          worth considering is if you like to lie on the diagonal like most
                          people or in the classic bannana shape that I enjoy. I have made
                          several hammocks and find that I too like the open feeling of looser
                          sidewalls. Since I sleep down the center of the hammock I pull my
                          sides apart at the center of each side. If you like to lie diagonally
                          you might want to offset the pulls HH style. Play around with the
                          setup before making it permanent. Lastly, I now use alum tent poles
                          to hold my hammocks open in warm weather (including my HH) instead of
                          tying them out. I find this works much better for me. Hope this helps.

                          Brian
                          T-BACK