Re: [Hammock Camping] Newbie Question

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 6, 2005
      looking forward to the new book, rick.

      Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
      By spring, I should have a book completed with detailed drawings and explanation for building all my gear that will improve on my web pages.
      If you are still looking for an answer by then, I will be mentioning its
      publication here.

      Rick (Risk)

      Sandy Kramer
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 6, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rwattenbach@j..."
        <rwattenbach@j...> wrote:
        > Awesome! The little head sticking out of the pea pod is so cute.
        So where do you get the 1.1 oz fabric? A regular fabric store?

        Not many fabric stores carry it. Every time I go to Walmart I check
        the $1/yd bin and sometimes I get lucky...I've found DWR, regular old
        ripstop, and several yards of silnylon there.

        Or if you don't want to do it hit-or-miss, you can order it from
        several places online, like thru-hiker.com, owfinc.com, and noah
        lamport.
      • RedsTanMenagerie@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 6, 2005
          I’m sorry I don’t have the emotional energy to rewrite this specifically
          for this list. I know it is somewhat of topic. Mr Buffalo bill (pack goat
          baby) was getting me back into the woods and it was auchuly threw him that I
          found the hammock hiking. I know a lot of you wrote me privatally interested in
          pack goats so I thought I’d tell you all what happened. Poor Mr buffalo
          loved sleeping under my hammock and we had been practicing lots with him and my
          service dog Tao who sleaps quite well in the hammock! I had hoped to take
          buffalo and Tao out camping in the woods this month for his first over night in
          the woods and get some more hours on my hammock. Mostly I’m crying to
          anyone and everyone as an emotional vent, sory if it is not apropreate. If it isn’
          t please erase it from the list.
          I havn’t been able to write much on the two goaty lists (packing and
          carting) but I wanted to tell everyone my devastating news and hopefully give
          everyone else a reason to hug there goaties tonight.
          To start I’ll retell everyone who I am to maybe log memories as to who I am.
          I am disabled as is my 7 year old son (well 7 in feb). I was an avid
          backcountry hiker until I became disabled. I was training my pack goat boy
          (buffalo bill) to be a pack goat for me so I could do long trips in the woods
          again. I also trained my girls for shorter day hikes (they are milking ladys, not
          hikers haha).
          I started with two Nubian girls I raised since babies (they would be 3 years
          old this feb). Missy was my first and she was even crate trained, potty
          trained, and lived in the house. She was just like a pet dog and was greatly
          loved. She got quite lonely being a lone goaty so we bought her her very own
          pet, Diamond, her cousin. We got Diamond to keep Missy company and they were
          an inseperable pair. They were quite bonded.
          January 31st and Febuary 3rd they had there first babies. Diamond first
          gave birth to 3 lovely babies. My dear friend and I were up all night guarding
          them from the cold out in the barn that first night. Soon after Missy had
          her two lovely babies. Again we were up with them, quite a bonding experance.
          Missy, soon after birth rejected Mr Buffalo Bill, choosing only her
          daughter Calamity Jane.
          I bottle fed Mr Buffalo and he lived in the house. He thinks he is a dog
          for this reason, is perfectly leash trained and crate trained and LOVES going
          for car rides! He began his pack training right away and has been making
          great progress for his age. We had plans to hike the 2 week long wonderland
          trail (he would be allowed to hike it because he is helping midigate my
          disabilitys) together in 2007.
          Fast forward in time To last Thursday morning (sep 1st) my son was rushed to
          the hospital for illness related to his disabilitys (for those medically
          smart he got lactic adidosis). We were discharged Saturday and coming home
          after dark I couldn’t find a puppy that was here on the farm. He was donated to
          be trained as a service dog but he wasn’t working out so I asked the owner
          to take him back and she agreed.
          The 6 month old GSD somehow got into the pasture area and massicured my
          goats. He has been around them since he was 3 months old and never damaged them,
          I would never have guessed he would take it this far! The first thing we
          saw was Missy my first ever goat laying flat on her side quietly crying. She
          was horribly attacked and dying. We put her down emediatally as there was
          nothing I could do for her.
          After that I turned my attention to Diamond (my other mamma goat). She was
          lying down but quiet and head up. Then I quickly realized she was badly
          hurt. She was cut up REAL bad and couldn’t stand. She was also freazing and in
          shock. We couldn’t pull up her temp with blankets. Those that know, know
          blankets radiate heet you give off and without any heet made there is nothing
          to warm the blanket, of course they stop wind too. We got her into my living
          room (yes it was a mess but worth trying to save her) and with towels
          rotating from the dryer and swaddling we pulled up her temp ( a maricle). I tended
          her wounds and was with her round the clock camping in my sleeping bag with
          her. If I left her side she cried and cried (she loved her people like we
          are part of the herd). I still remember how the penicillin ingections must
          have hurt, she cried and cried from them. They warned me it would hurt but I was
          still shocked. Despite round the clock treatment and wound clensings and
          care Diamond Passed Monday evening after a very long battle we hoped to win.
          Missy’s Daughter, Calamity Jane was also very badly attacked but the woulds
          were all laserations. It looks like she was attacked with a razor all over
          her body. Hundreds of cuts (literally) all over her body. She came out of
          shock much better and is recovering and expected to make a “full” recovery.
          She will be one giant scar and at this point I don’t know if she wil ever be
          breedable or milkable. She is now my only living doe and most likely unable to
          do the things I need from her, breed and milk.
          My son and I are both on disability with very small incomes so this was a
          huge blow. I was starting a goats milk soap side business with hopes to bring
          in a bit of money. They were dried off (no more milking) last month because
          my son was doing to much hospital time and my backup milker moved cross
          country. But I had plans on having them back in milk by January. Yes both my
          girls were pregnant when hey died. I use the milk for everything from milk
          drinking to yogert. It really helps stretch our food budget! I also sell the
          baby bucks they give me to cover there feed costs. So this has been a huge
          finantual blow!
          Buffalo and the other little buck I hadn’t sold yet were also attacked but
          not as badly. Buffalo is recovering fine but I am now facing the reality he
          may never be able to pack. His leg was ingured and he has wounds all over his
          pack area that are making scars. Even if his leg heels I worry his skin
          will not allow him to wear a pack.
          I really feel like someone stole the wind from my sails!!! I spent so much
          money trying to save my baby and she still died and to rub salt in the
          wounds the “renderer” wants $150 just to take them away and they resell my babys
          for dog food (how horrible is that for dog attack victims)!!!! The worst
          thing is that I allowed that animal on my land so it is my fault! Somehow it
          would have been easyer if a dog somehow dug under my fence and got them.
          The dog was taken away the next morning so at least my living babys are
          alive despite looking like whipping boys! I am now basically at a stand still
          with my goats, it looks like I lost my packer, and my only remaining
          (future) milker.
          I am sending the same message to both the lists and I’m sorry for the
          repeate. I don’t have the emotional energy to keep writing it over and over
          because it’s to sad. I am forwarding the same email to my two girl’s breeder.
          They are going to be heart broken to, they loved them to and came a number of
          times just to visit them. Missy was especially there favorite.
          Everyone hug your babies and make sure there safe!!!!!!!
          Melissa and Tao

        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 7, 2005
            7 a.m. and there are tears in my eyes...SOOO sorry. it seems as if you are constantly being challenged.

            for those of you who remember, i sent Melissa the Byer's Moskito Traveler (the first set of micro-ropes hadn't arrived so they were re-sent. PM me later when they arrive, Melissa).

            I had a message from her last week saying that it was working out great and that Tao DID fit in with her, which was something we discussed online as he's a fairly large dog.

            sandy in miami

          • sebastiantoney
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
              Hi, everyone:

              For those of you who have made your own hammocks, how hard is it? Is
              it cheaper to make a Speer style hammock than it is to buy a new
              HH/Clark Hammock?

              I want to get into bicycle touring and stealth camping. It seems
              hammmock are the way to go. I've made a habit out of making my own
              gear. My bike is homebuilt and my bicycle panniers (saddlebags) are
              homemade from old book bags I bought from the Thrift Store.

              thanks
            • rob dawson
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
                I am no expert but i think if you have been sewing your panniers and
                making a bike, then you will be able to sew the simple seams on the speer
                like hammock.

                Get Ed's book, it has all the info you will need to get started, visit
                here often and the regulars will most likely help you out.

                There are a few regs, here with their own sites, bountiful information
                awaits you.

                www.iamrisk.com is the one i can think of right away.

                robi

                ps. send me info on your bike, of list, I am very interested in such
                things as making my own bike

                On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:29:55 +0100, sebastiantoney <funbun2@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi, everyone:
                >
                > For those of you who have made your own hammocks, how hard is it? Is
                > it cheaper to make a Speer style hammock than it is to buy a new
                > HH/Clark Hammock?
                >
                > I want to get into bicycle touring and stealth camping. It seems
                > hammmock are the way to go. I've made a habit out of making my own
                > gear. My bike is homebuilt and my bicycle panniers (saddlebags) are
                > homemade from old book bags I bought from the Thrift Store.
                >
                > thanks

              • J.D. Hoessle
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
                  wrote:
                  > For those of you who have made your own hammocks, how hard is it? Is
                  > it cheaper to make a Speer style hammock than it is to buy a new
                  > HH/Clark Hammock?

                  Welcome!

                  It's always less expensive to DIY and if you have made your own bike &
                  panniers it will be EASY. I made Risk's ZHammock and it worked
                  despite my lowly skills with the sewing machine. I have since then
                  purchased both an HH and a Speer because my sewing leaves a lot to be
                  desired...<g>...

                  Get Mr. Speer's book 'cause it will save you a lot of time. Study
                  Risk's & J.J.'s sites too.

                  Feel free to ask *ANYTHING* here. Great group and more than willing
                  to answer and suggest and joke about everything. Also, please provide
                  YOUR feedback as you go along; it helps us all.

                  Happy Trails,

                  J.D.
                • J.D. Hoessle
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
                    Well, I see robi has just posted the same thoughts I had.

                    RE: Mr. Speer's book, there was an offer to have a copy "circulate"
                    around; i.e., passing it to each "newbie" in turn.

                    I thought that was a great idea because each user could add their notes.

                    Oooops! Sorry, Mr. Speer! It occurs to me that you are selling those
                    *GREAT* books...<g>...

                    Happy Trails,

                    J.D.
                  • jonas4321
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006

                      > www.iamrisk.com is the one i can think of right away.

                      Great advice, but a typo might be problematic.

                      Risk's website is www.imrisk.com.

                      Personally, I believe that if you shop for the right materials and get
                      them on sale, you'll save a bundle making a Speer-type hammock.
                      However, if you want to save every ounce you can and that is more
                      important than making do with well-priced fabrics, you can spend more
                      than a pre-made one costs. The cost of your bugnet material needs to
                      be factored in too.

                      As with any hobby, it depends on your goals and your aversions.
                      Neither way is right ow wrong, but one answer does not fit all.

                      Have fun exploring, however! That is a joy to most anyone with a
                      hobby, I imagine.
                    • dogman3162002
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 15 9:24 PM
                        Hi all

                        I am new to the board and to hammock camping. I have almost finished
                        my first hammock. As I was playing around with it I noticed how narrow
                        it was at the top and was wondering if there was a way to widen it up
                        a bit(let in a little air). I know that the hennesy has some bungee
                        tie outs on the side but I'm not sure where the are sewn in. I
                        wouldn't mind doing that but I don't know where to put them.
                        Any help would be great.

                        Thanks
                      • jwj32542
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 16 6:53 AM
                          If you don't hang it tight, and you lay diagonally, it should open up
                          a pretty wide.

                          If you want to do the HH thang, sew some shockcord by your right knee
                          and left shoulder, and use lightweight shockcord to stake out the
                          sides.

                          Jeff
                        • seuss910
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 16 10:34 AM
                            Before you sew, you might want to try attaching some pullout lines in
                            various places using some crocodile clips
                            (http://www.acehardware.com/sm-crocodile-clip-5302--pi-1276254.html).
                            It's a backyard solution only since they don't hold a thin, slippery
                            fabric that well under stress and it's unnecessary weight, but you can
                            try different combinations and find out which (if any) work for you
                            before attacking your hammock with a sharp pointed object (a sewing
                            needle)

                            -s

                          • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 27 9:47 AM
                              > I am new to the board and to hammock camping. I have almost finished
                              > my first hammock. As I was playing around with it I noticed how
                              narrow
                              > it was at the top and was wondering if there was a way to widen it up
                              > a bit(let in a little air). I know that the hennesy has some bungee
                              > tie outs on the side but I'm not sure where the are sewn in. I
                              > wouldn't mind doing that but I don't know where to put them.
                              > Any help would be great.

                              First of all, I think you might need to to retie the hammock ends.
                              You didn't say if you knotted or whipped the ends but in order for the
                              sides to be loose you need to have the edges even when you gather them
                              and not pull on the "ears" which puts tension on the sides. Also
                              worth considering is if you like to lie on the diagonal like most
                              people or in the classic bannana shape that I enjoy. I have made
                              several hammocks and find that I too like the open feeling of looser
                              sidewalls. Since I sleep down the center of the hammock I pull my
                              sides apart at the center of each side. If you like to lie diagonally
                              you might want to offset the pulls HH style. Play around with the
                              setup before making it permanent. Lastly, I now use alum tent poles
                              to hold my hammocks open in warm weather (including my HH) instead of
                              tying them out. I find this works much better for me. Hope this helps.

                              Brian
                              T-BACK