Re: Hammock pad thickness

  • jmgiv47
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
      There are soooo many variables...not the least of which are how cold
      a sleeper the individual is and what the sleep system is composed
      of. I've read complaints of cold discomfort in temps that are
      literally warmer than my house on some mornings when I've left the
      windows open at night. I myself have been comfortable in the high
      20s using the 1/4" pad that Oware sells (covered with a thin fleece
      throw). And that was while wearing insulated clothing but using no
      sleeping bag or top cover. Others have shivered at the thought. It
      really is dependent upon the individual and it's not a competition...

      The key, I think, is to experiment. If your backyard has trees
      you're set. Spend some nights, or at least parts of nights in the
      backyard in your hammock testing the gear. I'd recommend keeping it
      as simple, light, and least bulky as possible while still being
      comfortable in temps 5-10° colder than what you anticipate on the
      trail.

      FYI, while the Oware pad is bulky to pack, I think it's perfect for
      a hammock. It's 60X40X1/4" and only weighs 7oz. The Campmor fleece
      I clip to it, which adds extra insulation and helps fight
      shoulder/back condensation, brings the total weight to 20oz. The
      pad is 'sticky' and, given it's extra width, doesn't slide in the HH
      very much. That extra width also cups around the sleeper's shoulders
      giving extra insulation and wind block. For even colder temps, I've
      cut down a piece of blue foam (20X40") which I can insert into the
      sleeve formed by the Oware pad and fleece cover. For this extra 4oz
      I figure the combination is good to the teens although I haven't
      tested it at those temps. Overall, this mix'n'match pad combination
      is good for temps from 70° to ~15 or 20° with weights ranging
      from 7-25oz.

      Experiment!

      john

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
      <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
      > I just recently went backpacking in Mineral King using my Hennessy
      > Ultralight Backpacker hammock. The temperature was about 35 degrees
      > at
      > the coldest, with a slight breeze. I was using a 3/8" blue foam
      pad
      > under me, a Western Mountaineering Highlite sleeping bag (rated at
      35
      > degrees), and wearing a fleece vest and pants. I was warm on top
      but
      > almost froze my back - how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees?
      > know that underquilts are probably the warmest, but I want to keep
      my
      > gear ultralight. Thanks,
      >
      > Dennis
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
        Youngblood knows more about this than I, so make sure you listen...

        Bill in Houston

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad.
        <snip>
        > Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
        > hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
        > your body.
        > Youngblood
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 8, 2005
          I had a simular experience Dennis. I used the 3/8 blue foam stuffed
          inside my Adventure Medical Bivy sack with a 40 SnugPak bag over me.
          It worked okay down to 38 F but I was a little chilly off an on in the
          early morning hours.

          I'm thinking of going with something like Rick's overlap pad and using
          a slightly thinner but wider torso pad under the blue foam next time
          I'm in this temp. range.

          I have also had good luck using the blue foam inconjunction with the
          Hennessy Supershelter down to 27 F and that was without the Overcover.

          Best of luck working out what is best for you.
          jamie in az