Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocks and hurricane recovery

  • quiltpatti
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer
      <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
      > thanks..
      >
      > i was thinking...since there aren't likely to be any/many trees
      around....is it "worth" giving him the hammock? (bearing in mind
      that I was supposed to go kayak camping this weekend and it was
      going to be my first time using it? But I may have to cancel out
      of that.)

      Hi Sandy,
      I have 2 Byer Hammocks & am heavy, though not over the wgt limit, &
      after a few nights use, I have had the ropes shift on the hammocks
      so one edge hangs low and I had to hang on for dear life to avoid
      getting dumped. So, if your s-i-l is a big guy this could be your
      excuse to keep your hammock.

      > maybe i'll send him the HH URL for the pix of hammocks hanging
      from tanks etc. and let him decide (ease the guilt that way!)

      Good idea, he could probably make it work between vehicles, or
      vehicle and tree or post. HH would work, has bug net and fly, but
      expensive, & you need it by Fri, right.

      http://www.thetravelhammock.com/
      Click on the ultralight hammock tab. At only $20, the price(&wgt) is
      right and they ship fast, but no net or fly. This one does hold me.

      Good luck working this one out.

      I admire the generous men and women like your son-in-law who are
      helping with the disaster relief.

      Let us know about your kayak trip. I envy you. I have one kayak.
      It's on Pine Island and I only get to use it once or twice a year
      when I visit there from Indiana.

      Patti
    • jmgiv47
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
        There are soooo many variables...not the least of which are how cold
        a sleeper the individual is and what the sleep system is composed
        of. I've read complaints of cold discomfort in temps that are
        literally warmer than my house on some mornings when I've left the
        windows open at night. I myself have been comfortable in the high
        20s using the 1/4" pad that Oware sells (covered with a thin fleece
        throw). And that was while wearing insulated clothing but using no
        sleeping bag or top cover. Others have shivered at the thought. It
        really is dependent upon the individual and it's not a competition...

        The key, I think, is to experiment. If your backyard has trees
        you're set. Spend some nights, or at least parts of nights in the
        backyard in your hammock testing the gear. I'd recommend keeping it
        as simple, light, and least bulky as possible while still being
        comfortable in temps 5-10° colder than what you anticipate on the
        trail.

        FYI, while the Oware pad is bulky to pack, I think it's perfect for
        a hammock. It's 60X40X1/4" and only weighs 7oz. The Campmor fleece
        I clip to it, which adds extra insulation and helps fight
        shoulder/back condensation, brings the total weight to 20oz. The
        pad is 'sticky' and, given it's extra width, doesn't slide in the HH
        very much. That extra width also cups around the sleeper's shoulders
        giving extra insulation and wind block. For even colder temps, I've
        cut down a piece of blue foam (20X40") which I can insert into the
        sleeve formed by the Oware pad and fleece cover. For this extra 4oz
        I figure the combination is good to the teens although I haven't
        tested it at those temps. Overall, this mix'n'match pad combination
        is good for temps from 70° to ~15 or 20° with weights ranging
        from 7-25oz.

        Experiment!

        john

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
        <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
        > I just recently went backpacking in Mineral King using my Hennessy
        > Ultralight Backpacker hammock. The temperature was about 35 degrees
        > at
        > the coldest, with a slight breeze. I was using a 3/8" blue foam
        pad
        > under me, a Western Mountaineering Highlite sleeping bag (rated at
        35
        > degrees), and wearing a fleece vest and pants. I was warm on top
        but
        > almost froze my back - how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees?
        > know that underquilts are probably the warmest, but I want to keep
        my
        > gear ultralight. Thanks,
        >
        > Dennis
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
          Youngblood knows more about this than I, so make sure you listen...

          Bill in Houston

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad.
          <snip>
          > Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
          > hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
          > your body.
          > Youngblood
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 8, 2005
            I had a simular experience Dennis. I used the 3/8 blue foam stuffed
            inside my Adventure Medical Bivy sack with a 40 SnugPak bag over me.
            It worked okay down to 38 F but I was a little chilly off an on in the
            early morning hours.

            I'm thinking of going with something like Rick's overlap pad and using
            a slightly thinner but wider torso pad under the blue foam next time
            I'm in this temp. range.

            I have also had good luck using the blue foam inconjunction with the
            Hennessy Supershelter down to 27 F and that was without the Overcover.

            Best of luck working out what is best for you.
            jamie in az