Re: Hammock pad thickness

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
      > <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
      > > ...35 degrees... 3/8" blue foam pad...almost froze my back - how
      > thick
      >
      > Thicker than 3/8", apparently ;-)
      >
      > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad. I think I am a
      > cold sleeper. I was wearing a bunch of clothes. Every now and
      then a
      > part of my body would touch the hammock where the pad wasn't, and I
      > would get a cold spot. I'd recommend the SPE or something that
      > accomplishes the same thing, and a 1" pad would probably be nice.
      >
      > Bill in Houston

      Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
      hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
      your body. When you stack them or use thick solid ccf pads they are
      more rigid and don't flex as well. Over a half inch is where I draw
      the line but this is an individual preference/tolerane type of
      thing. For me it can cause a sore tush on those long 14+ hour winter
      nights that starts after 10 continuous hours on them. This is where
      certain models of Them-a-Rest pads like the RidgeRest work well for
      me. The regular RidgeRest at 5/8" thick is very flexible and has
      indentations that adds cushioning, I use a 3/4 length one on top of
      another 3/8" ccf pad in my SPE for 20 degree weather unless I want to
      use a self inflating pad. At some point as temperatures drop, weight
      vs pack bulk vs comfort starts making the self inflating open cell
      foam pads look more attractive. I haven't noticed any discomfort
      problems with the self inflating pads. I haven't been in a position
      to chose whether or not to incorporate self inflating pads since I
      have been in the position of field testing an array of pads with the
      SPE.

      Youngblood
    • quiltpatti
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer
        <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
        > thanks..
        >
        > i was thinking...since there aren't likely to be any/many trees
        around....is it "worth" giving him the hammock? (bearing in mind
        that I was supposed to go kayak camping this weekend and it was
        going to be my first time using it? But I may have to cancel out
        of that.)

        Hi Sandy,
        I have 2 Byer Hammocks & am heavy, though not over the wgt limit, &
        after a few nights use, I have had the ropes shift on the hammocks
        so one edge hangs low and I had to hang on for dear life to avoid
        getting dumped. So, if your s-i-l is a big guy this could be your
        excuse to keep your hammock.

        > maybe i'll send him the HH URL for the pix of hammocks hanging
        from tanks etc. and let him decide (ease the guilt that way!)

        Good idea, he could probably make it work between vehicles, or
        vehicle and tree or post. HH would work, has bug net and fly, but
        expensive, & you need it by Fri, right.

        http://www.thetravelhammock.com/
        Click on the ultralight hammock tab. At only $20, the price(&wgt) is
        right and they ship fast, but no net or fly. This one does hold me.

        Good luck working this one out.

        I admire the generous men and women like your son-in-law who are
        helping with the disaster relief.

        Let us know about your kayak trip. I envy you. I have one kayak.
        It's on Pine Island and I only get to use it once or twice a year
        when I visit there from Indiana.

        Patti
      • jmgiv47
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
          There are soooo many variables...not the least of which are how cold
          a sleeper the individual is and what the sleep system is composed
          of. I've read complaints of cold discomfort in temps that are
          literally warmer than my house on some mornings when I've left the
          windows open at night. I myself have been comfortable in the high
          20s using the 1/4" pad that Oware sells (covered with a thin fleece
          throw). And that was while wearing insulated clothing but using no
          sleeping bag or top cover. Others have shivered at the thought. It
          really is dependent upon the individual and it's not a competition...

          The key, I think, is to experiment. If your backyard has trees
          you're set. Spend some nights, or at least parts of nights in the
          backyard in your hammock testing the gear. I'd recommend keeping it
          as simple, light, and least bulky as possible while still being
          comfortable in temps 5-10° colder than what you anticipate on the
          trail.

          FYI, while the Oware pad is bulky to pack, I think it's perfect for
          a hammock. It's 60X40X1/4" and only weighs 7oz. The Campmor fleece
          I clip to it, which adds extra insulation and helps fight
          shoulder/back condensation, brings the total weight to 20oz. The
          pad is 'sticky' and, given it's extra width, doesn't slide in the HH
          very much. That extra width also cups around the sleeper's shoulders
          giving extra insulation and wind block. For even colder temps, I've
          cut down a piece of blue foam (20X40") which I can insert into the
          sleeve formed by the Oware pad and fleece cover. For this extra 4oz
          I figure the combination is good to the teens although I haven't
          tested it at those temps. Overall, this mix'n'match pad combination
          is good for temps from 70° to ~15 or 20° with weights ranging
          from 7-25oz.

          Experiment!

          john

          <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
          > I just recently went backpacking in Mineral King using my Hennessy
          > Ultralight Backpacker hammock. The temperature was about 35 degrees
          > at
          > the coldest, with a slight breeze. I was using a 3/8" blue foam
          pad
          > under me, a Western Mountaineering Highlite sleeping bag (rated at
          35
          > degrees), and wearing a fleece vest and pants. I was warm on top
          but
          > almost froze my back - how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees?
          > know that underquilts are probably the warmest, but I want to keep
          my
          > gear ultralight. Thanks,
          >
          > Dennis
        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
            Youngblood knows more about this than I, so make sure you listen...

            Bill in Houston

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad.
            <snip>
            > Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
            > hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
            > your body.
            > Youngblood
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 8, 2005
              I had a simular experience Dennis. I used the 3/8 blue foam stuffed
              inside my Adventure Medical Bivy sack with a 40 SnugPak bag over me.
              It worked okay down to 38 F but I was a little chilly off an on in the
              early morning hours.

              I'm thinking of going with something like Rick's overlap pad and using
              a slightly thinner but wider torso pad under the blue foam next time
              I'm in this temp. range.

              I have also had good luck using the blue foam inconjunction with the
              Hennessy Supershelter down to 27 F and that was without the Overcover.

              Best of luck working out what is best for you.
              jamie in az