Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocks and hurricane recovery

  • J J
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2005
      Just normal old baby wipes work fine...these were godsends in the
      desert. Walmart and some grocery stores also sell lemon-scented
      anti-bacterial wipes in a plastic "can" that work pretty well, but
      they're more expensive.

      Hand sanitizer is awesome, too. It stings a bit at first, but can take
      care of the funk in "those places" when you have no other options.
      Pumps work good for back in the tent, and small bottles are great to
      carry in your pocket. Keeping clean hands in an environment like that
      can make a HUGE difference in staying healthy. I'm surprised they're
      not all wearing medical facemasks, actually...all that junk in the
      water is about to start floating in the air.

      Jeff

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
        thanks..

        i was thinking...since there aren't likely to be any/many trees around....is it "worth" giving him the hammock? (bearing in mind that I was supposed to go kayak camping this weekend and it was going to be my first time using it? But I may have to cancel out of that.)

        maybe i'll send him the HH URL for the pix of hammocks hanging from tanks etc. and let him decide (ease the guilt that way!)

        i have a box with some face masks...

        J J <jwj32542@...> wrote:
        Just normal old baby wipes work fine...these were godsends in the
        desert. Walmart and some grocery stores also sell lemon-scented
        anti-bacterial wipes in a plastic "can" that work pretty well, but
        they're more expensive.

        Hand sanitizer is awesome, too. It stings a bit at first, but can take
        care of the funk in "those places" when you have no other options.
        Pumps work good for back in the tent, and small bottles are great to
        carry in your pocket. Keeping clean hands in an environment like that
        can make a HUGE difference in staying healthy. I'm surprised they're
        not all wearing medical facemasks, actually...all that junk in the
        water is about to start floating in the air.

        Jeff

      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
          <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
          > ...35 degrees... 3/8" blue foam pad...almost froze my back - how
          thick

          Thicker than 3/8", apparently ;-)

          I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad. I think I am a
          cold sleeper. I was wearing a bunch of clothes. Every now and then a
          part of my body would touch the hammock where the pad wasn't, and I
          would get a cold spot. I'd recommend the SPE or something that
          accomplishes the same thing, and a 1" pad would probably be nice.

          Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
            > <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
            > > ...35 degrees... 3/8" blue foam pad...almost froze my back - how
            > thick
            >
            > Thicker than 3/8", apparently ;-)
            >
            > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad. I think I am a
            > cold sleeper. I was wearing a bunch of clothes. Every now and
            then a
            > part of my body would touch the hammock where the pad wasn't, and I
            > would get a cold spot. I'd recommend the SPE or something that
            > accomplishes the same thing, and a 1" pad would probably be nice.
            >
            > Bill in Houston

            Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
            hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
            your body. When you stack them or use thick solid ccf pads they are
            more rigid and don't flex as well. Over a half inch is where I draw
            the line but this is an individual preference/tolerane type of
            thing. For me it can cause a sore tush on those long 14+ hour winter
            nights that starts after 10 continuous hours on them. This is where
            certain models of Them-a-Rest pads like the RidgeRest work well for
            me. The regular RidgeRest at 5/8" thick is very flexible and has
            indentations that adds cushioning, I use a 3/4 length one on top of
            another 3/8" ccf pad in my SPE for 20 degree weather unless I want to
            use a self inflating pad. At some point as temperatures drop, weight
            vs pack bulk vs comfort starts making the self inflating open cell
            foam pads look more attractive. I haven't noticed any discomfort
            problems with the self inflating pads. I haven't been in a position
            to chose whether or not to incorporate self inflating pads since I
            have been in the position of field testing an array of pads with the
            SPE.

            Youngblood
          • quiltpatti
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer
              <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
              > thanks..
              >
              > i was thinking...since there aren't likely to be any/many trees
              around....is it "worth" giving him the hammock? (bearing in mind
              that I was supposed to go kayak camping this weekend and it was
              going to be my first time using it? But I may have to cancel out
              of that.)

              Hi Sandy,
              I have 2 Byer Hammocks & am heavy, though not over the wgt limit, &
              after a few nights use, I have had the ropes shift on the hammocks
              so one edge hangs low and I had to hang on for dear life to avoid
              getting dumped. So, if your s-i-l is a big guy this could be your
              excuse to keep your hammock.

              > maybe i'll send him the HH URL for the pix of hammocks hanging
              from tanks etc. and let him decide (ease the guilt that way!)

              Good idea, he could probably make it work between vehicles, or
              vehicle and tree or post. HH would work, has bug net and fly, but
              expensive, & you need it by Fri, right.

              http://www.thetravelhammock.com/
              Click on the ultralight hammock tab. At only $20, the price(&wgt) is
              right and they ship fast, but no net or fly. This one does hold me.

              Good luck working this one out.

              I admire the generous men and women like your son-in-law who are
              helping with the disaster relief.

              Let us know about your kayak trip. I envy you. I have one kayak.
              It's on Pine Island and I only get to use it once or twice a year
              when I visit there from Indiana.

              Patti
            • jmgiv47
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                There are soooo many variables...not the least of which are how cold
                a sleeper the individual is and what the sleep system is composed
                of. I've read complaints of cold discomfort in temps that are
                literally warmer than my house on some mornings when I've left the
                windows open at night. I myself have been comfortable in the high
                20s using the 1/4" pad that Oware sells (covered with a thin fleece
                throw). And that was while wearing insulated clothing but using no
                sleeping bag or top cover. Others have shivered at the thought. It
                really is dependent upon the individual and it's not a competition...

                The key, I think, is to experiment. If your backyard has trees
                you're set. Spend some nights, or at least parts of nights in the
                backyard in your hammock testing the gear. I'd recommend keeping it
                as simple, light, and least bulky as possible while still being
                comfortable in temps 5-10° colder than what you anticipate on the
                trail.

                FYI, while the Oware pad is bulky to pack, I think it's perfect for
                a hammock. It's 60X40X1/4" and only weighs 7oz. The Campmor fleece
                I clip to it, which adds extra insulation and helps fight
                shoulder/back condensation, brings the total weight to 20oz. The
                pad is 'sticky' and, given it's extra width, doesn't slide in the HH
                very much. That extra width also cups around the sleeper's shoulders
                giving extra insulation and wind block. For even colder temps, I've
                cut down a piece of blue foam (20X40") which I can insert into the
                sleeve formed by the Oware pad and fleece cover. For this extra 4oz
                I figure the combination is good to the teens although I haven't
                tested it at those temps. Overall, this mix'n'match pad combination
                is good for temps from 70° to ~15 or 20° with weights ranging
                from 7-25oz.

                Experiment!

                john

                <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
                > I just recently went backpacking in Mineral King using my Hennessy
                > Ultralight Backpacker hammock. The temperature was about 35 degrees
                > at
                > the coldest, with a slight breeze. I was using a 3/8" blue foam
                pad
                > under me, a Western Mountaineering Highlite sleeping bag (rated at
                35
                > degrees), and wearing a fleece vest and pants. I was warm on top
                but
                > almost froze my back - how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees?
                > know that underquilts are probably the warmest, but I want to keep
                my
                > gear ultralight. Thanks,
                >
                > Dennis
              • zippydooda
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                  Youngblood knows more about this than I, so make sure you listen...

                  Bill in Houston

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad.
                  <snip>
                  > Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
                  > hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
                  > your body.
                  > Youngblood
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 8, 2005
                    I had a simular experience Dennis. I used the 3/8 blue foam stuffed
                    inside my Adventure Medical Bivy sack with a 40 SnugPak bag over me.
                    It worked okay down to 38 F but I was a little chilly off an on in the
                    early morning hours.

                    I'm thinking of going with something like Rick's overlap pad and using
                    a slightly thinner but wider torso pad under the blue foam next time
                    I'm in this temp. range.

                    I have also had good luck using the blue foam inconjunction with the
                    Hennessy Supershelter down to 27 F and that was without the Overcover.

                    Best of luck working out what is best for you.
                    jamie in az