Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock pad thickness

  • RevT
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2005
      From Ed Speer's Web site.
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Tips/Tips%20on%20hammock%20camping.htm#Staying
      Switch to 1" thick sleep pad when temperatures drop below about 40 degF

      Also from his book
      30-40 deg F with 25 deg rated bag use a 1 in pad

      Here is the table in his book.
      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/SpeerSleepPads.htm

      Brian

      On 9/5/05, Dennis Rowell <rowelldennis@...> wrote:
      > I just recently went backpacking in Mineral King using my Hennessy
      > Ultralight Backpacker hammock. The temperature was about 35 degrees
      > at
      > the coldest, with a slight breeze. I was using a 3/8" blue foam pad
      > under me, a Western Mountaineering Highlite sleeping bag (rated at 35
      > degrees), and wearing a fleece vest and pants. I was warm on top but
      > almost froze my back - how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees? I
      > know that underquilts are probably the warmest, but I want to keep my
      > gear ultralight. Thanks,
      >
      > Dennis
    • J J
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2005
        Just normal old baby wipes work fine...these were godsends in the
        desert. Walmart and some grocery stores also sell lemon-scented
        anti-bacterial wipes in a plastic "can" that work pretty well, but
        they're more expensive.

        Hand sanitizer is awesome, too. It stings a bit at first, but can take
        care of the funk in "those places" when you have no other options.
        Pumps work good for back in the tent, and small bottles are great to
        carry in your pocket. Keeping clean hands in an environment like that
        can make a HUGE difference in staying healthy. I'm surprised they're
        not all wearing medical facemasks, actually...all that junk in the
        water is about to start floating in the air.

        Jeff

      • Sandy Kramer
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
          thanks..

          i was thinking...since there aren't likely to be any/many trees around....is it "worth" giving him the hammock? (bearing in mind that I was supposed to go kayak camping this weekend and it was going to be my first time using it? But I may have to cancel out of that.)

          maybe i'll send him the HH URL for the pix of hammocks hanging from tanks etc. and let him decide (ease the guilt that way!)

          i have a box with some face masks...

          J J <jwj32542@...> wrote:
          Just normal old baby wipes work fine...these were godsends in the
          desert. Walmart and some grocery stores also sell lemon-scented
          anti-bacterial wipes in a plastic "can" that work pretty well, but
          they're more expensive.

          Hand sanitizer is awesome, too. It stings a bit at first, but can take
          care of the funk in "those places" when you have no other options.
          Pumps work good for back in the tent, and small bottles are great to
          carry in your pocket. Keeping clean hands in an environment like that
          can make a HUGE difference in staying healthy. I'm surprised they're
          not all wearing medical facemasks, actually...all that junk in the
          water is about to start floating in the air.

          Jeff

        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
            <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
            > ...35 degrees... 3/8" blue foam pad...almost froze my back - how
            thick

            Thicker than 3/8", apparently ;-)

            I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad. I think I am a
            cold sleeper. I was wearing a bunch of clothes. Every now and then a
            part of my body would touch the hammock where the pad wasn't, and I
            would get a cold spot. I'd recommend the SPE or something that
            accomplishes the same thing, and a 1" pad would probably be nice.

            Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
              > <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
              > > ...35 degrees... 3/8" blue foam pad...almost froze my back - how
              > thick
              >
              > Thicker than 3/8", apparently ;-)
              >
              > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad. I think I am a
              > cold sleeper. I was wearing a bunch of clothes. Every now and
              then a
              > part of my body would touch the hammock where the pad wasn't, and I
              > would get a cold spot. I'd recommend the SPE or something that
              > accomplishes the same thing, and a 1" pad would probably be nice.
              >
              > Bill in Houston

              Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
              hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
              your body. When you stack them or use thick solid ccf pads they are
              more rigid and don't flex as well. Over a half inch is where I draw
              the line but this is an individual preference/tolerane type of
              thing. For me it can cause a sore tush on those long 14+ hour winter
              nights that starts after 10 continuous hours on them. This is where
              certain models of Them-a-Rest pads like the RidgeRest work well for
              me. The regular RidgeRest at 5/8" thick is very flexible and has
              indentations that adds cushioning, I use a 3/4 length one on top of
              another 3/8" ccf pad in my SPE for 20 degree weather unless I want to
              use a self inflating pad. At some point as temperatures drop, weight
              vs pack bulk vs comfort starts making the self inflating open cell
              foam pads look more attractive. I haven't noticed any discomfort
              problems with the self inflating pads. I haven't been in a position
              to chose whether or not to incorporate self inflating pads since I
              have been in the position of field testing an array of pads with the
              SPE.

              Youngblood
            • quiltpatti
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer
                <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
                > thanks..
                >
                > i was thinking...since there aren't likely to be any/many trees
                around....is it "worth" giving him the hammock? (bearing in mind
                that I was supposed to go kayak camping this weekend and it was
                going to be my first time using it? But I may have to cancel out
                of that.)

                Hi Sandy,
                I have 2 Byer Hammocks & am heavy, though not over the wgt limit, &
                after a few nights use, I have had the ropes shift on the hammocks
                so one edge hangs low and I had to hang on for dear life to avoid
                getting dumped. So, if your s-i-l is a big guy this could be your
                excuse to keep your hammock.

                > maybe i'll send him the HH URL for the pix of hammocks hanging
                from tanks etc. and let him decide (ease the guilt that way!)

                Good idea, he could probably make it work between vehicles, or
                vehicle and tree or post. HH would work, has bug net and fly, but
                expensive, & you need it by Fri, right.

                http://www.thetravelhammock.com/
                Click on the ultralight hammock tab. At only $20, the price(&wgt) is
                right and they ship fast, but no net or fly. This one does hold me.

                Good luck working this one out.

                I admire the generous men and women like your son-in-law who are
                helping with the disaster relief.

                Let us know about your kayak trip. I envy you. I have one kayak.
                It's on Pine Island and I only get to use it once or twice a year
                when I visit there from Indiana.

                Patti
              • jmgiv47
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                  There are soooo many variables...not the least of which are how cold
                  a sleeper the individual is and what the sleep system is composed
                  of. I've read complaints of cold discomfort in temps that are
                  literally warmer than my house on some mornings when I've left the
                  windows open at night. I myself have been comfortable in the high
                  20s using the 1/4" pad that Oware sells (covered with a thin fleece
                  throw). And that was while wearing insulated clothing but using no
                  sleeping bag or top cover. Others have shivered at the thought. It
                  really is dependent upon the individual and it's not a competition...

                  The key, I think, is to experiment. If your backyard has trees
                  you're set. Spend some nights, or at least parts of nights in the
                  backyard in your hammock testing the gear. I'd recommend keeping it
                  as simple, light, and least bulky as possible while still being
                  comfortable in temps 5-10° colder than what you anticipate on the
                  trail.

                  FYI, while the Oware pad is bulky to pack, I think it's perfect for
                  a hammock. It's 60X40X1/4" and only weighs 7oz. The Campmor fleece
                  I clip to it, which adds extra insulation and helps fight
                  shoulder/back condensation, brings the total weight to 20oz. The
                  pad is 'sticky' and, given it's extra width, doesn't slide in the HH
                  very much. That extra width also cups around the sleeper's shoulders
                  giving extra insulation and wind block. For even colder temps, I've
                  cut down a piece of blue foam (20X40") which I can insert into the
                  sleeve formed by the Oware pad and fleece cover. For this extra 4oz
                  I figure the combination is good to the teens although I haven't
                  tested it at those temps. Overall, this mix'n'match pad combination
                  is good for temps from 70° to ~15 or 20° with weights ranging
                  from 7-25oz.

                  Experiment!

                  john

                  <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
                  > I just recently went backpacking in Mineral King using my Hennessy
                  > Ultralight Backpacker hammock. The temperature was about 35 degrees
                  > at
                  > the coldest, with a slight breeze. I was using a 3/8" blue foam
                  pad
                  > under me, a Western Mountaineering Highlite sleeping bag (rated at
                  35
                  > degrees), and wearing a fleece vest and pants. I was warm on top
                  but
                  > almost froze my back - how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees?
                  > know that underquilts are probably the warmest, but I want to keep
                  my
                  > gear ultralight. Thanks,
                  >
                  > Dennis
                • zippydooda
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                    Youngblood knows more about this than I, so make sure you listen...

                    Bill in Houston

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad.
                    <snip>
                    > Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
                    > hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
                    > your body.
                    > Youngblood
                  • chcoa
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 8, 2005
                      I had a simular experience Dennis. I used the 3/8 blue foam stuffed
                      inside my Adventure Medical Bivy sack with a 40 SnugPak bag over me.
                      It worked okay down to 38 F but I was a little chilly off an on in the
                      early morning hours.

                      I'm thinking of going with something like Rick's overlap pad and using
                      a slightly thinner but wider torso pad under the blue foam next time
                      I'm in this temp. range.

                      I have also had good luck using the blue foam inconjunction with the
                      Hennessy Supershelter down to 27 F and that was without the Overcover.

                      Best of luck working out what is best for you.
                      jamie in az