Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock pad thickness

  • J J
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2005
      --- Dennis Rowell <rowelldennis@...> wrote:
      > how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees?

      See the table on this page:
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

      If you're going to stack pads, the SPE is a great way to keep them on
      top of each other.

      Jeff

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • RevT
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2005
        From Ed Speer's Web site.
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Tips/Tips%20on%20hammock%20camping.htm#Staying
        Switch to 1" thick sleep pad when temperatures drop below about 40 degF

        Also from his book
        30-40 deg F with 25 deg rated bag use a 1 in pad

        Here is the table in his book.
        http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/SpeerSleepPads.htm

        Brian

        On 9/5/05, Dennis Rowell <rowelldennis@...> wrote:
        > I just recently went backpacking in Mineral King using my Hennessy
        > Ultralight Backpacker hammock. The temperature was about 35 degrees
        > at
        > the coldest, with a slight breeze. I was using a 3/8" blue foam pad
        > under me, a Western Mountaineering Highlite sleeping bag (rated at 35
        > degrees), and wearing a fleece vest and pants. I was warm on top but
        > almost froze my back - how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees? I
        > know that underquilts are probably the warmest, but I want to keep my
        > gear ultralight. Thanks,
        >
        > Dennis
      • J J
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2005
          Just normal old baby wipes work fine...these were godsends in the
          desert. Walmart and some grocery stores also sell lemon-scented
          anti-bacterial wipes in a plastic "can" that work pretty well, but
          they're more expensive.

          Hand sanitizer is awesome, too. It stings a bit at first, but can take
          care of the funk in "those places" when you have no other options.
          Pumps work good for back in the tent, and small bottles are great to
          carry in your pocket. Keeping clean hands in an environment like that
          can make a HUGE difference in staying healthy. I'm surprised they're
          not all wearing medical facemasks, actually...all that junk in the
          water is about to start floating in the air.

          Jeff

        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
            thanks..

            i was thinking...since there aren't likely to be any/many trees around....is it "worth" giving him the hammock? (bearing in mind that I was supposed to go kayak camping this weekend and it was going to be my first time using it? But I may have to cancel out of that.)

            maybe i'll send him the HH URL for the pix of hammocks hanging from tanks etc. and let him decide (ease the guilt that way!)

            i have a box with some face masks...

            J J <jwj32542@...> wrote:
            Just normal old baby wipes work fine...these were godsends in the
            desert. Walmart and some grocery stores also sell lemon-scented
            anti-bacterial wipes in a plastic "can" that work pretty well, but
            they're more expensive.

            Hand sanitizer is awesome, too. It stings a bit at first, but can take
            care of the funk in "those places" when you have no other options.
            Pumps work good for back in the tent, and small bottles are great to
            carry in your pocket. Keeping clean hands in an environment like that
            can make a HUGE difference in staying healthy. I'm surprised they're
            not all wearing medical facemasks, actually...all that junk in the
            water is about to start floating in the air.

            Jeff

          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
              <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
              > ...35 degrees... 3/8" blue foam pad...almost froze my back - how
              thick

              Thicker than 3/8", apparently ;-)

              I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad. I think I am a
              cold sleeper. I was wearing a bunch of clothes. Every now and then a
              part of my body would touch the hammock where the pad wasn't, and I
              would get a cold spot. I'd recommend the SPE or something that
              accomplishes the same thing, and a 1" pad would probably be nice.

              Bill in Houston
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
                > <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
                > > ...35 degrees... 3/8" blue foam pad...almost froze my back - how
                > thick
                >
                > Thicker than 3/8", apparently ;-)
                >
                > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad. I think I am a
                > cold sleeper. I was wearing a bunch of clothes. Every now and
                then a
                > part of my body would touch the hammock where the pad wasn't, and I
                > would get a cold spot. I'd recommend the SPE or something that
                > accomplishes the same thing, and a 1" pad would probably be nice.
                >
                > Bill in Houston

                Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
                hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
                your body. When you stack them or use thick solid ccf pads they are
                more rigid and don't flex as well. Over a half inch is where I draw
                the line but this is an individual preference/tolerane type of
                thing. For me it can cause a sore tush on those long 14+ hour winter
                nights that starts after 10 continuous hours on them. This is where
                certain models of Them-a-Rest pads like the RidgeRest work well for
                me. The regular RidgeRest at 5/8" thick is very flexible and has
                indentations that adds cushioning, I use a 3/4 length one on top of
                another 3/8" ccf pad in my SPE for 20 degree weather unless I want to
                use a self inflating pad. At some point as temperatures drop, weight
                vs pack bulk vs comfort starts making the self inflating open cell
                foam pads look more attractive. I haven't noticed any discomfort
                problems with the self inflating pads. I haven't been in a position
                to chose whether or not to incorporate self inflating pads since I
                have been in the position of field testing an array of pads with the
                SPE.

                Youngblood
              • quiltpatti
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer
                  <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
                  > thanks..
                  >
                  > i was thinking...since there aren't likely to be any/many trees
                  around....is it "worth" giving him the hammock? (bearing in mind
                  that I was supposed to go kayak camping this weekend and it was
                  going to be my first time using it? But I may have to cancel out
                  of that.)

                  Hi Sandy,
                  I have 2 Byer Hammocks & am heavy, though not over the wgt limit, &
                  after a few nights use, I have had the ropes shift on the hammocks
                  so one edge hangs low and I had to hang on for dear life to avoid
                  getting dumped. So, if your s-i-l is a big guy this could be your
                  excuse to keep your hammock.

                  > maybe i'll send him the HH URL for the pix of hammocks hanging
                  from tanks etc. and let him decide (ease the guilt that way!)

                  Good idea, he could probably make it work between vehicles, or
                  vehicle and tree or post. HH would work, has bug net and fly, but
                  expensive, & you need it by Fri, right.

                  http://www.thetravelhammock.com/
                  Click on the ultralight hammock tab. At only $20, the price(&wgt) is
                  right and they ship fast, but no net or fly. This one does hold me.

                  Good luck working this one out.

                  I admire the generous men and women like your son-in-law who are
                  helping with the disaster relief.

                  Let us know about your kayak trip. I envy you. I have one kayak.
                  It's on Pine Island and I only get to use it once or twice a year
                  when I visit there from Indiana.

                  Patti
                • jmgiv47
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                    There are soooo many variables...not the least of which are how cold
                    a sleeper the individual is and what the sleep system is composed
                    of. I've read complaints of cold discomfort in temps that are
                    literally warmer than my house on some mornings when I've left the
                    windows open at night. I myself have been comfortable in the high
                    20s using the 1/4" pad that Oware sells (covered with a thin fleece
                    throw). And that was while wearing insulated clothing but using no
                    sleeping bag or top cover. Others have shivered at the thought. It
                    really is dependent upon the individual and it's not a competition...

                    The key, I think, is to experiment. If your backyard has trees
                    you're set. Spend some nights, or at least parts of nights in the
                    backyard in your hammock testing the gear. I'd recommend keeping it
                    as simple, light, and least bulky as possible while still being
                    comfortable in temps 5-10° colder than what you anticipate on the
                    trail.

                    FYI, while the Oware pad is bulky to pack, I think it's perfect for
                    a hammock. It's 60X40X1/4" and only weighs 7oz. The Campmor fleece
                    I clip to it, which adds extra insulation and helps fight
                    shoulder/back condensation, brings the total weight to 20oz. The
                    pad is 'sticky' and, given it's extra width, doesn't slide in the HH
                    very much. That extra width also cups around the sleeper's shoulders
                    giving extra insulation and wind block. For even colder temps, I've
                    cut down a piece of blue foam (20X40") which I can insert into the
                    sleeve formed by the Oware pad and fleece cover. For this extra 4oz
                    I figure the combination is good to the teens although I haven't
                    tested it at those temps. Overall, this mix'n'match pad combination
                    is good for temps from 70° to ~15 or 20° with weights ranging
                    from 7-25oz.

                    Experiment!

                    john

                    <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
                    > I just recently went backpacking in Mineral King using my Hennessy
                    > Ultralight Backpacker hammock. The temperature was about 35 degrees
                    > at
                    > the coldest, with a slight breeze. I was using a 3/8" blue foam
                    pad
                    > under me, a Western Mountaineering Highlite sleeping bag (rated at
                    35
                    > degrees), and wearing a fleece vest and pants. I was warm on top
                    but
                    > almost froze my back - how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees?
                    > know that underquilts are probably the warmest, but I want to keep
                    my
                    > gear ultralight. Thanks,
                    >
                    > Dennis
                  • zippydooda
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                      Youngblood knows more about this than I, so make sure you listen...

                      Bill in Houston

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad.
                      <snip>
                      > Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
                      > hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
                      > your body.
                      > Youngblood
                    • chcoa
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 8, 2005
                        I had a simular experience Dennis. I used the 3/8 blue foam stuffed
                        inside my Adventure Medical Bivy sack with a 40 SnugPak bag over me.
                        It worked okay down to 38 F but I was a little chilly off an on in the
                        early morning hours.

                        I'm thinking of going with something like Rick's overlap pad and using
                        a slightly thinner but wider torso pad under the blue foam next time
                        I'm in this temp. range.

                        I have also had good luck using the blue foam inconjunction with the
                        Hennessy Supershelter down to 27 F and that was without the Overcover.

                        Best of luck working out what is best for you.
                        jamie in az