Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocks and hurricane recovery

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2005
      My son-in-law is a police sergeant and will be going to Ms on Friday...mainly to act as security for the rescue folk. Would you please that a Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue truck was hijacked in New Orleans and the thugs stole all their equipment?????

      Anyway, my daughter called today to see if i could put together some camping gear for him. He thought he would be taking his green-and-white but apparently they might be bussing them......lightweight gear to the rescue.

      having seen and read the "testimonials" about HHs from military personnel in afghanistan (?) and Iraq, I'm going to lend him my Byer's Hammock (willl I ever get it back I wonder? Had better see if they have any more at $20!!

      I'll be putting stuff together with him and hope I won't be kissing them goodbye....hell, I KNOW they probably won't come back..... tis all for a good and very worthy cause.

      i seem to think that somewhere I bought some bath "baby wipes" but will someone please help me find some sort of cleaning wipes since they are not likely to have access to running water for showers.

      but he ain't getting my Slinglight chair!!!

      sandy in miami

      Sandy Kramer

    • J J
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2005
        --- Dennis Rowell <rowelldennis@...> wrote:
        > how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees?

        See the table on this page:
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

        If you're going to stack pads, the SPE is a great way to keep them on
        top of each other.

        Jeff

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • RevT
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2005
          From Ed Speer's Web site.
          http://www.speerhammocks.com/Tips/Tips%20on%20hammock%20camping.htm#Staying
          Switch to 1" thick sleep pad when temperatures drop below about 40 degF

          Also from his book
          30-40 deg F with 25 deg rated bag use a 1 in pad

          Here is the table in his book.
          http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/SpeerSleepPads.htm

          Brian

          On 9/5/05, Dennis Rowell <rowelldennis@...> wrote:
          > I just recently went backpacking in Mineral King using my Hennessy
          > Ultralight Backpacker hammock. The temperature was about 35 degrees
          > at
          > the coldest, with a slight breeze. I was using a 3/8" blue foam pad
          > under me, a Western Mountaineering Highlite sleeping bag (rated at 35
          > degrees), and wearing a fleece vest and pants. I was warm on top but
          > almost froze my back - how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees? I
          > know that underquilts are probably the warmest, but I want to keep my
          > gear ultralight. Thanks,
          >
          > Dennis
        • J J
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2005
            Just normal old baby wipes work fine...these were godsends in the
            desert. Walmart and some grocery stores also sell lemon-scented
            anti-bacterial wipes in a plastic "can" that work pretty well, but
            they're more expensive.

            Hand sanitizer is awesome, too. It stings a bit at first, but can take
            care of the funk in "those places" when you have no other options.
            Pumps work good for back in the tent, and small bottles are great to
            carry in your pocket. Keeping clean hands in an environment like that
            can make a HUGE difference in staying healthy. I'm surprised they're
            not all wearing medical facemasks, actually...all that junk in the
            water is about to start floating in the air.

            Jeff

          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
              thanks..

              i was thinking...since there aren't likely to be any/many trees around....is it "worth" giving him the hammock? (bearing in mind that I was supposed to go kayak camping this weekend and it was going to be my first time using it? But I may have to cancel out of that.)

              maybe i'll send him the HH URL for the pix of hammocks hanging from tanks etc. and let him decide (ease the guilt that way!)

              i have a box with some face masks...

              J J <jwj32542@...> wrote:
              Just normal old baby wipes work fine...these were godsends in the
              desert. Walmart and some grocery stores also sell lemon-scented
              anti-bacterial wipes in a plastic "can" that work pretty well, but
              they're more expensive.

              Hand sanitizer is awesome, too. It stings a bit at first, but can take
              care of the funk in "those places" when you have no other options.
              Pumps work good for back in the tent, and small bottles are great to
              carry in your pocket. Keeping clean hands in an environment like that
              can make a HUGE difference in staying healthy. I'm surprised they're
              not all wearing medical facemasks, actually...all that junk in the
              water is about to start floating in the air.

              Jeff

            • zippydooda
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
                <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
                > ...35 degrees... 3/8" blue foam pad...almost froze my back - how
                thick

                Thicker than 3/8", apparently ;-)

                I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad. I think I am a
                cold sleeper. I was wearing a bunch of clothes. Every now and then a
                part of my body would touch the hammock where the pad wasn't, and I
                would get a cold spot. I'd recommend the SPE or something that
                accomplishes the same thing, and a 1" pad would probably be nice.

                Bill in Houston
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
                  > <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
                  > > ...35 degrees... 3/8" blue foam pad...almost froze my back - how
                  > thick
                  >
                  > Thicker than 3/8", apparently ;-)
                  >
                  > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad. I think I am a
                  > cold sleeper. I was wearing a bunch of clothes. Every now and
                  then a
                  > part of my body would touch the hammock where the pad wasn't, and I
                  > would get a cold spot. I'd recommend the SPE or something that
                  > accomplishes the same thing, and a 1" pad would probably be nice.
                  >
                  > Bill in Houston

                  Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
                  hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
                  your body. When you stack them or use thick solid ccf pads they are
                  more rigid and don't flex as well. Over a half inch is where I draw
                  the line but this is an individual preference/tolerane type of
                  thing. For me it can cause a sore tush on those long 14+ hour winter
                  nights that starts after 10 continuous hours on them. This is where
                  certain models of Them-a-Rest pads like the RidgeRest work well for
                  me. The regular RidgeRest at 5/8" thick is very flexible and has
                  indentations that adds cushioning, I use a 3/4 length one on top of
                  another 3/8" ccf pad in my SPE for 20 degree weather unless I want to
                  use a self inflating pad. At some point as temperatures drop, weight
                  vs pack bulk vs comfort starts making the self inflating open cell
                  foam pads look more attractive. I haven't noticed any discomfort
                  problems with the self inflating pads. I haven't been in a position
                  to chose whether or not to incorporate self inflating pads since I
                  have been in the position of field testing an array of pads with the
                  SPE.

                  Youngblood
                • quiltpatti
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer
                    <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
                    > thanks..
                    >
                    > i was thinking...since there aren't likely to be any/many trees
                    around....is it "worth" giving him the hammock? (bearing in mind
                    that I was supposed to go kayak camping this weekend and it was
                    going to be my first time using it? But I may have to cancel out
                    of that.)

                    Hi Sandy,
                    I have 2 Byer Hammocks & am heavy, though not over the wgt limit, &
                    after a few nights use, I have had the ropes shift on the hammocks
                    so one edge hangs low and I had to hang on for dear life to avoid
                    getting dumped. So, if your s-i-l is a big guy this could be your
                    excuse to keep your hammock.

                    > maybe i'll send him the HH URL for the pix of hammocks hanging
                    from tanks etc. and let him decide (ease the guilt that way!)

                    Good idea, he could probably make it work between vehicles, or
                    vehicle and tree or post. HH would work, has bug net and fly, but
                    expensive, & you need it by Fri, right.

                    http://www.thetravelhammock.com/
                    Click on the ultralight hammock tab. At only $20, the price(&wgt) is
                    right and they ship fast, but no net or fly. This one does hold me.

                    Good luck working this one out.

                    I admire the generous men and women like your son-in-law who are
                    helping with the disaster relief.

                    Let us know about your kayak trip. I envy you. I have one kayak.
                    It's on Pine Island and I only get to use it once or twice a year
                    when I visit there from Indiana.

                    Patti
                  • jmgiv47
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                      There are soooo many variables...not the least of which are how cold
                      a sleeper the individual is and what the sleep system is composed
                      of. I've read complaints of cold discomfort in temps that are
                      literally warmer than my house on some mornings when I've left the
                      windows open at night. I myself have been comfortable in the high
                      20s using the 1/4" pad that Oware sells (covered with a thin fleece
                      throw). And that was while wearing insulated clothing but using no
                      sleeping bag or top cover. Others have shivered at the thought. It
                      really is dependent upon the individual and it's not a competition...

                      The key, I think, is to experiment. If your backyard has trees
                      you're set. Spend some nights, or at least parts of nights in the
                      backyard in your hammock testing the gear. I'd recommend keeping it
                      as simple, light, and least bulky as possible while still being
                      comfortable in temps 5-10° colder than what you anticipate on the
                      trail.

                      FYI, while the Oware pad is bulky to pack, I think it's perfect for
                      a hammock. It's 60X40X1/4" and only weighs 7oz. The Campmor fleece
                      I clip to it, which adds extra insulation and helps fight
                      shoulder/back condensation, brings the total weight to 20oz. The
                      pad is 'sticky' and, given it's extra width, doesn't slide in the HH
                      very much. That extra width also cups around the sleeper's shoulders
                      giving extra insulation and wind block. For even colder temps, I've
                      cut down a piece of blue foam (20X40") which I can insert into the
                      sleeve formed by the Oware pad and fleece cover. For this extra 4oz
                      I figure the combination is good to the teens although I haven't
                      tested it at those temps. Overall, this mix'n'match pad combination
                      is good for temps from 70° to ~15 or 20° with weights ranging
                      from 7-25oz.

                      Experiment!

                      john

                      <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
                      > I just recently went backpacking in Mineral King using my Hennessy
                      > Ultralight Backpacker hammock. The temperature was about 35 degrees
                      > at
                      > the coldest, with a slight breeze. I was using a 3/8" blue foam
                      pad
                      > under me, a Western Mountaineering Highlite sleeping bag (rated at
                      35
                      > degrees), and wearing a fleece vest and pants. I was warm on top
                      but
                      > almost froze my back - how thick of a pad do I need at 35 degrees?
                      > know that underquilts are probably the warmest, but I want to keep
                      my
                      > gear ultralight. Thanks,
                      >
                      > Dennis
                    • zippydooda
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 6, 2005
                        Youngblood knows more about this than I, so make sure you listen...

                        Bill in Houston

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > I made it all night down to 35 with a 3/4 inch pad.
                        <snip>
                        > Thin closed cell foam (ccf) pads only slightly alter the comfort of a
                        > hammock as they still bend and flex enough to follow the contours of
                        > your body.
                        > Youngblood
                      • chcoa
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 8, 2005
                          I had a simular experience Dennis. I used the 3/8 blue foam stuffed
                          inside my Adventure Medical Bivy sack with a 40 SnugPak bag over me.
                          It worked okay down to 38 F but I was a little chilly off an on in the
                          early morning hours.

                          I'm thinking of going with something like Rick's overlap pad and using
                          a slightly thinner but wider torso pad under the blue foam next time
                          I'm in this temp. range.

                          I have also had good luck using the blue foam inconjunction with the
                          Hennessy Supershelter down to 27 F and that was without the Overcover.

                          Best of luck working out what is best for you.
                          jamie in az