Newbie Question

  • doodlebugboodles
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2005
      I am looking into a hamock for camping, but I'm unclear on one thing.
      Is this like a bivy where you need a sleeping bag? Or does it depend
      on the season?
      Becky
    • Ken Harmon
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2005
        Hammocks can be used at anytime during the year but each season
        requires different additional equipment. I have used a hammock as
        low as 33 degrees but there are others in this group who have camped
        out in much lower temps. In the winter I use a sleeping bag like a
        quilt and use a JRB nest underquilt beneath the hammock.

        If the temps are below 70 degrees, I usually find that my back gets
        cold early in the morning and I will use a pad or blanket under me.
        The colder it is, the more protection is needed under your back.

        I'm sure that there are others in this group who will enlighten you
        even more.

        Ken

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "doodlebugboodles"
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5, 2005
          hey becky... welcome. i`ve just discovered the joys of hammock camping this year & i love it so much, i have installed eye bolts in my bedroom walls & sleep in it nightly (single guy). ken`s right, depending on a persons metabolism, you will likey begin to fell the cool night air around 70 degrees. if it`s not much cooler than that you`ll brobably do fine w/ a pad under you (for insulation) & a sleeping bag or quilt to cover you. but there`s differant ways to stay warm in a hammock. others on this group can tell you more, but in the mean time go to speer hammock`s web site to find useful information & links to more useful info ( like ed speer`s book "hammock camping" ). also at the speer site you will see a link to "risks" web site where you`ll find lots of good info. i havent seen it yet, but rick (known as RISK) has a new book "a wildly successful 200 mile hike" which is no dought full of great practical info. as far as the hammock being like a bivy, i think you`ll find it to
          replace the lower part of a bivy, but youll still need protection from the top, as in a tarp. thanks...slowhike

          doodlebugboodles <rwattenbach@...> wrote:I am looking into a hamock for camping, but I'm unclear on one thing.
          Is this like a bivy where you need a sleeping bag? Or does it depend
          on the season?
          Becky

          tim garner

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 6, 2005
            Thanks guys. I understand a little better now. When spring gets here I'll be out at the park working it out.
            Becky

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 6, 2005
              Becky,

              I have been watching the answers given so far. They are pretty good.

              I am not sure that I have seen people mention two other methods to stay
              warm, even in the winter months. The first is to have quilt material
              hanging against the hammock from the outside. It can be quilted
              directly through the hammock bottom to keep it against you. Just make
              sure to make a couple darts in the perimeter of the quilt to let it hang
              loosely once the hammock stretches.

              The second way to make a pad go much lower in temperature is to put a
              layer of something outside it to keep the wind from blowing the heat off
              the outside surface of the pad. There are several methods to do this.
              The first one introduced was Ed Speer' Pea Pod. I introduced the
              homemade TravelPod which is a single layer of cloth. Ray Garlington
              introduced the Taco Shell specifically for the Hennessy Hammock. Now
              JackRBetter and Hennessey have introduced cold weather systems for the
              Hennessey Hammock Line.

              My page on the Travel pod is here:

              http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm

              My homemade hammock that has quilt material directly in the hammock is
              the WarmHammock:

              http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/warmhammock.htm

              By spring, I should have a book completed with detailed drawings and
              explanation for building all my gear that will improve on my web pages.
              If you are still looking for an answer by then, I will be mentioning its
              publication here.

              Rick (Risk)

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 6, 2005
                Awesome! The little head sticking out of the pea pod is so cute. So where do you get the 1.1 oz fabric? A regular fabric store?
                Becky

              • Sandy Kramer
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 6, 2005
                  looking forward to the new book, rick.

                  Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                  By spring, I should have a book completed with detailed drawings and explanation for building all my gear that will improve on my web pages.
                  If you are still looking for an answer by then, I will be mentioning its
                  publication here.

                  Rick (Risk)

                  Sandy Kramer
                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 6, 2005
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rwattenbach@j..."
                    <rwattenbach@j...> wrote:
                    > Awesome! The little head sticking out of the pea pod is so cute.
                    So where do you get the 1.1 oz fabric? A regular fabric store?

                    Not many fabric stores carry it. Every time I go to Walmart I check
                    the $1/yd bin and sometimes I get lucky...I've found DWR, regular old
                    ripstop, and several yards of silnylon there.

                    Or if you don't want to do it hit-or-miss, you can order it from
                    several places online, like thru-hiker.com, owfinc.com, and noah
                    lamport.
                  • RedsTanMenagerie@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 6, 2005
                      I’m sorry I don’t have the emotional energy to rewrite this specifically
                      for this list. I know it is somewhat of topic. Mr Buffalo bill (pack goat
                      baby) was getting me back into the woods and it was auchuly threw him that I
                      found the hammock hiking. I know a lot of you wrote me privatally interested in
                      pack goats so I thought I’d tell you all what happened. Poor Mr buffalo
                      loved sleeping under my hammock and we had been practicing lots with him and my
                      service dog Tao who sleaps quite well in the hammock! I had hoped to take
                      buffalo and Tao out camping in the woods this month for his first over night in
                      the woods and get some more hours on my hammock. Mostly I’m crying to
                      anyone and everyone as an emotional vent, sory if it is not apropreate. If it isn’
                      t please erase it from the list.
                      I havn’t been able to write much on the two goaty lists (packing and
                      carting) but I wanted to tell everyone my devastating news and hopefully give
                      everyone else a reason to hug there goaties tonight.
                      To start I’ll retell everyone who I am to maybe log memories as to who I am.
                      I am disabled as is my 7 year old son (well 7 in feb). I was an avid
                      backcountry hiker until I became disabled. I was training my pack goat boy
                      (buffalo bill) to be a pack goat for me so I could do long trips in the woods
                      again. I also trained my girls for shorter day hikes (they are milking ladys, not
                      hikers haha).
                      I started with two Nubian girls I raised since babies (they would be 3 years
                      old this feb). Missy was my first and she was even crate trained, potty
                      trained, and lived in the house. She was just like a pet dog and was greatly
                      loved. She got quite lonely being a lone goaty so we bought her her very own
                      pet, Diamond, her cousin. We got Diamond to keep Missy company and they were
                      an inseperable pair. They were quite bonded.
                      January 31st and Febuary 3rd they had there first babies. Diamond first
                      gave birth to 3 lovely babies. My dear friend and I were up all night guarding
                      them from the cold out in the barn that first night. Soon after Missy had
                      her two lovely babies. Again we were up with them, quite a bonding experance.
                      Missy, soon after birth rejected Mr Buffalo Bill, choosing only her
                      daughter Calamity Jane.
                      I bottle fed Mr Buffalo and he lived in the house. He thinks he is a dog
                      for this reason, is perfectly leash trained and crate trained and LOVES going
                      for car rides! He began his pack training right away and has been making
                      great progress for his age. We had plans to hike the 2 week long wonderland
                      trail (he would be allowed to hike it because he is helping midigate my
                      disabilitys) together in 2007.
                      Fast forward in time To last Thursday morning (sep 1st) my son was rushed to
                      the hospital for illness related to his disabilitys (for those medically
                      smart he got lactic adidosis). We were discharged Saturday and coming home
                      after dark I couldn’t find a puppy that was here on the farm. He was donated to
                      be trained as a service dog but he wasn’t working out so I asked the owner
                      to take him back and she agreed.
                      The 6 month old GSD somehow got into the pasture area and massicured my
                      goats. He has been around them since he was 3 months old and never damaged them,
                      I would never have guessed he would take it this far! The first thing we
                      saw was Missy my first ever goat laying flat on her side quietly crying. She
                      was horribly attacked and dying. We put her down emediatally as there was
                      nothing I could do for her.
                      After that I turned my attention to Diamond (my other mamma goat). She was
                      lying down but quiet and head up. Then I quickly realized she was badly
                      hurt. She was cut up REAL bad and couldn’t stand. She was also freazing and in
                      shock. We couldn’t pull up her temp with blankets. Those that know, know
                      blankets radiate heet you give off and without any heet made there is nothing
                      to warm the blanket, of course they stop wind too. We got her into my living
                      room (yes it was a mess but worth trying to save her) and with towels
                      rotating from the dryer and swaddling we pulled up her temp ( a maricle). I tended
                      her wounds and was with her round the clock camping in my sleeping bag with
                      her. If I left her side she cried and cried (she loved her people like we
                      are part of the herd). I still remember how the penicillin ingections must
                      have hurt, she cried and cried from them. They warned me it would hurt but I was
                      still shocked. Despite round the clock treatment and wound clensings and
                      care Diamond Passed Monday evening after a very long battle we hoped to win.
                      Missy’s Daughter, Calamity Jane was also very badly attacked but the woulds
                      were all laserations. It looks like she was attacked with a razor all over
                      her body. Hundreds of cuts (literally) all over her body. She came out of
                      shock much better and is recovering and expected to make a “full” recovery.
                      She will be one giant scar and at this point I don’t know if she wil ever be
                      breedable or milkable. She is now my only living doe and most likely unable to
                      do the things I need from her, breed and milk.
                      My son and I are both on disability with very small incomes so this was a
                      huge blow. I was starting a goats milk soap side business with hopes to bring
                      in a bit of money. They were dried off (no more milking) last month because
                      my son was doing to much hospital time and my backup milker moved cross
                      country. But I had plans on having them back in milk by January. Yes both my
                      girls were pregnant when hey died. I use the milk for everything from milk
                      drinking to yogert. It really helps stretch our food budget! I also sell the
                      baby bucks they give me to cover there feed costs. So this has been a huge
                      finantual blow!
                      Buffalo and the other little buck I hadn’t sold yet were also attacked but
                      not as badly. Buffalo is recovering fine but I am now facing the reality he
                      may never be able to pack. His leg was ingured and he has wounds all over his
                      pack area that are making scars. Even if his leg heels I worry his skin
                      will not allow him to wear a pack.
                      I really feel like someone stole the wind from my sails!!! I spent so much
                      money trying to save my baby and she still died and to rub salt in the
                      wounds the “renderer” wants $150 just to take them away and they resell my babys
                      for dog food (how horrible is that for dog attack victims)!!!! The worst
                      thing is that I allowed that animal on my land so it is my fault! Somehow it
                      would have been easyer if a dog somehow dug under my fence and got them.
                      The dog was taken away the next morning so at least my living babys are
                      alive despite looking like whipping boys! I am now basically at a stand still
                      with my goats, it looks like I lost my packer, and my only remaining
                      (future) milker.
                      I am sending the same message to both the lists and I’m sorry for the
                      repeate. I don’t have the emotional energy to keep writing it over and over
                      because it’s to sad. I am forwarding the same email to my two girl’s breeder.
                      They are going to be heart broken to, they loved them to and came a number of
                      times just to visit them. Missy was especially there favorite.
                      Everyone hug your babies and make sure there safe!!!!!!!
                      Melissa and Tao

                    • Sandy Kramer
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 7, 2005
                        7 a.m. and there are tears in my eyes...SOOO sorry. it seems as if you are constantly being challenged.

                        for those of you who remember, i sent Melissa the Byer's Moskito Traveler (the first set of micro-ropes hadn't arrived so they were re-sent. PM me later when they arrive, Melissa).

                        I had a message from her last week saying that it was working out great and that Tao DID fit in with her, which was something we discussed online as he's a fairly large dog.

                        sandy in miami

                      • sebastiantoney
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
                          Hi, everyone:

                          For those of you who have made your own hammocks, how hard is it? Is
                          it cheaper to make a Speer style hammock than it is to buy a new
                          HH/Clark Hammock?

                          I want to get into bicycle touring and stealth camping. It seems
                          hammmock are the way to go. I've made a habit out of making my own
                          gear. My bike is homebuilt and my bicycle panniers (saddlebags) are
                          homemade from old book bags I bought from the Thrift Store.

                          thanks
                        • rob dawson
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
                            I am no expert but i think if you have been sewing your panniers and
                            making a bike, then you will be able to sew the simple seams on the speer
                            like hammock.

                            Get Ed's book, it has all the info you will need to get started, visit
                            here often and the regulars will most likely help you out.

                            There are a few regs, here with their own sites, bountiful information
                            awaits you.

                            www.iamrisk.com is the one i can think of right away.

                            robi

                            ps. send me info on your bike, of list, I am very interested in such
                            things as making my own bike

                            On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:29:55 +0100, sebastiantoney <funbun2@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hi, everyone:
                            >
                            > For those of you who have made your own hammocks, how hard is it? Is
                            > it cheaper to make a Speer style hammock than it is to buy a new
                            > HH/Clark Hammock?
                            >
                            > I want to get into bicycle touring and stealth camping. It seems
                            > hammmock are the way to go. I've made a habit out of making my own
                            > gear. My bike is homebuilt and my bicycle panniers (saddlebags) are
                            > homemade from old book bags I bought from the Thrift Store.
                            >
                            > thanks

                          • J.D. Hoessle
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
                              wrote:
                              > For those of you who have made your own hammocks, how hard is it? Is
                              > it cheaper to make a Speer style hammock than it is to buy a new
                              > HH/Clark Hammock?

                              Welcome!

                              It's always less expensive to DIY and if you have made your own bike &
                              panniers it will be EASY. I made Risk's ZHammock and it worked
                              despite my lowly skills with the sewing machine. I have since then
                              purchased both an HH and a Speer because my sewing leaves a lot to be
                              desired...<g>...

                              Get Mr. Speer's book 'cause it will save you a lot of time. Study
                              Risk's & J.J.'s sites too.

                              Feel free to ask *ANYTHING* here. Great group and more than willing
                              to answer and suggest and joke about everything. Also, please provide
                              YOUR feedback as you go along; it helps us all.

                              Happy Trails,

                              J.D.
                            • J.D. Hoessle
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006
                                Well, I see robi has just posted the same thoughts I had.

                                RE: Mr. Speer's book, there was an offer to have a copy "circulate"
                                around; i.e., passing it to each "newbie" in turn.

                                I thought that was a great idea because each user could add their notes.

                                Oooops! Sorry, Mr. Speer! It occurs to me that you are selling those
                                *GREAT* books...<g>...

                                Happy Trails,

                                J.D.
                              • jonas4321
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 19, 2006

                                  > www.iamrisk.com is the one i can think of right away.

                                  Great advice, but a typo might be problematic.

                                  Risk's website is www.imrisk.com.

                                  Personally, I believe that if you shop for the right materials and get
                                  them on sale, you'll save a bundle making a Speer-type hammock.
                                  However, if you want to save every ounce you can and that is more
                                  important than making do with well-priced fabrics, you can spend more
                                  than a pre-made one costs. The cost of your bugnet material needs to
                                  be factored in too.

                                  As with any hobby, it depends on your goals and your aversions.
                                  Neither way is right ow wrong, but one answer does not fit all.

                                  Have fun exploring, however! That is a joy to most anyone with a
                                  hobby, I imagine.
                                • dogman3162002
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 15 9:24 PM
                                    Hi all

                                    I am new to the board and to hammock camping. I have almost finished
                                    my first hammock. As I was playing around with it I noticed how narrow
                                    it was at the top and was wondering if there was a way to widen it up
                                    a bit(let in a little air). I know that the hennesy has some bungee
                                    tie outs on the side but I'm not sure where the are sewn in. I
                                    wouldn't mind doing that but I don't know where to put them.
                                    Any help would be great.

                                    Thanks
                                  • jwj32542
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 16 6:53 AM
                                      If you don't hang it tight, and you lay diagonally, it should open up
                                      a pretty wide.

                                      If you want to do the HH thang, sew some shockcord by your right knee
                                      and left shoulder, and use lightweight shockcord to stake out the
                                      sides.

                                      Jeff
                                    • seuss910
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 16 10:34 AM
                                        Before you sew, you might want to try attaching some pullout lines in
                                        various places using some crocodile clips
                                        (http://www.acehardware.com/sm-crocodile-clip-5302--pi-1276254.html).
                                        It's a backyard solution only since they don't hold a thin, slippery
                                        fabric that well under stress and it's unnecessary weight, but you can
                                        try different combinations and find out which (if any) work for you
                                        before attacking your hammock with a sharp pointed object (a sewing
                                        needle)

                                        -s

                                      • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 27 9:47 AM
                                          > I am new to the board and to hammock camping. I have almost finished
                                          > my first hammock. As I was playing around with it I noticed how
                                          narrow
                                          > it was at the top and was wondering if there was a way to widen it up
                                          > a bit(let in a little air). I know that the hennesy has some bungee
                                          > tie outs on the side but I'm not sure where the are sewn in. I
                                          > wouldn't mind doing that but I don't know where to put them.
                                          > Any help would be great.

                                          First of all, I think you might need to to retie the hammock ends.
                                          You didn't say if you knotted or whipped the ends but in order for the
                                          sides to be loose you need to have the edges even when you gather them
                                          and not pull on the "ears" which puts tension on the sides. Also
                                          worth considering is if you like to lie on the diagonal like most
                                          people or in the classic bannana shape that I enjoy. I have made
                                          several hammocks and find that I too like the open feeling of looser
                                          sidewalls. Since I sleep down the center of the hammock I pull my
                                          sides apart at the center of each side. If you like to lie diagonally
                                          you might want to offset the pulls HH style. Play around with the
                                          setup before making it permanent. Lastly, I now use alum tent poles
                                          to hold my hammocks open in warm weather (including my HH) instead of
                                          tying them out. I find this works much better for me. Hope this helps.

                                          Brian
                                          T-BACK