Re: [Hammock Camping] Silk Hammocks

  • quiltpatti
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
      Hi wood burners,
      My dual fuel stove is pretty light and gets the job done. It's
      similar to Rick's coffee can wood stove but uses a 10 oz chix can
      with 9 air holes around the bottom. It contains the wood fire under
      and holds my water pot. I use my platypus drinking tube for a
      bellows. The can and coat hanger wires weigh 1.8 oz. A small pleated
      piece of heavy foil(1gm) holds an esbit tab closer to the pan and I
      put the short ends of the wires in the rim holes so there is a small
      air gap at top(won't burn without)and pan is close enough to esbit.
      Wood fire for supper and esbit for breakfast or in the rain. A 5 oz
      chicken can or 6oz COS salmon can stove weighs 1.1 oz and is just
      the right size for a 26oz beer can pot. Cans do rust and on a long
      hike might need to be replaced periodically.
      Patti

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
      wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
      > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
      > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
      > > > idea.
      > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood
      stoves.
      > He
      > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
      > > purchased a JetBoil.
      >
      > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's
      > small army of people out in the world working on how to make
      cheap,
      > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
      > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
      > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
      > getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I
      come
      > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
      > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?
      >
      > Doug Frost
    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
        about 6 years ago i arrived in oregon with the screw-on (propane butane) stove but the KOA didn't carry them and i had to drive around portland til i finally found an outfitters.

        so i jumped when sportsmansguide had an alcohol and a wood-burning stove at really cheap prices. but, true to most of their stuff, lightweight is not a feature.

        the alcohol is a cute little cup with a lid - the legs twist out - and it comes in a "leather" bag/

        the wood one is really neat since it folds flat like a narrow paperback and also has a bag... i believe both have "loops" so you can hang onto belt or pack.

        but i haven't had to use them...and am concerned about availability of denatured alcohol...I will take them on my next fly 'n camp trip, where weight is not an issue.

        i tried a brief google but couldn't find them...i'm going kayak camping next weekend so i'll take them along to try them out.

        Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
        My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
        design with some different materials and the new stove
        should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
        count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
        the battery for my LED.

        My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
        designed to use modern combustion theory and
        techniques.

        Bill in Texas

        Sandy Kramer
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
          HEET in the yellow bottle from an auto parts store or WalMart.

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...>