Re: [Hammock Camping] Silk Hammocks-wood stoves

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
      My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
      design with some different materials and the new stove
      should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
      count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
      the battery for my LED.

      My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
      designed to use modern combustion theory and
      techniques.

      Bill in Texas

      --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
      > Garlington"
      > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a
      > few
      > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic
      > design
      > > > idea.
      > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about
      > his wood stoves.
      > He
      > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit
      > this, but I have
      > > purchased a JetBoil.
      >
      > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out
      > that there's a
      > small army of people out in the world working on how
      > to make cheap,
      > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the
      > third-world
      > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of
      > calculations
      > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for
      > backpackers is
      > getting the weight down while retaining the
      > efficiency. (If I come
      > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have
      > any
      > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the
      > best?
      >
      > Doug Frost

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
        Would it be practical to use the inflater for your DAM as a bellows
        for the stove, and save the weight of the battery?

        Bill in Houston

        <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
        > My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
        > design with some different materials and the new stove
        > should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
        > count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
        > the battery for my LED.
        >
        > My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
        > designed to use modern combustion theory and
        > techniques.
        >
        > Bill in Texas
        >
        > --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
        >
        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
        > > Garlington"

      • quiltpatti
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
          Hi wood burners,
          My dual fuel stove is pretty light and gets the job done. It's
          similar to Rick's coffee can wood stove but uses a 10 oz chix can
          with 9 air holes around the bottom. It contains the wood fire under
          and holds my water pot. I use my platypus drinking tube for a
          bellows. The can and coat hanger wires weigh 1.8 oz. A small pleated
          piece of heavy foil(1gm) holds an esbit tab closer to the pan and I
          put the short ends of the wires in the rim holes so there is a small
          air gap at top(won't burn without)and pan is close enough to esbit.
          Wood fire for supper and esbit for breakfast or in the rain. A 5 oz
          chicken can or 6oz COS salmon can stove weighs 1.1 oz and is just
          the right size for a 26oz beer can pot. Cans do rust and on a long
          hike might need to be replaced periodically.
          Patti

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
          wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
          > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
          > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
          > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
          > > > idea.
          > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood
          stoves.
          > He
          > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
          > > purchased a JetBoil.
          >
          > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's
          > small army of people out in the world working on how to make
          cheap,
          > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
          > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
          > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
          > getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I
          come
          > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
          > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?
          >
          > Doug Frost
        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
            about 6 years ago i arrived in oregon with the screw-on (propane butane) stove but the KOA didn't carry them and i had to drive around portland til i finally found an outfitters.

            so i jumped when sportsmansguide had an alcohol and a wood-burning stove at really cheap prices. but, true to most of their stuff, lightweight is not a feature.

            the alcohol is a cute little cup with a lid - the legs twist out - and it comes in a "leather" bag/

            the wood one is really neat since it folds flat like a narrow paperback and also has a bag... i believe both have "loops" so you can hang onto belt or pack.

            but i haven't had to use them...and am concerned about availability of denatured alcohol...I will take them on my next fly 'n camp trip, where weight is not an issue.

            i tried a brief google but couldn't find them...i'm going kayak camping next weekend so i'll take them along to try them out.

            Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
            My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
            design with some different materials and the new stove
            should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
            count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
            the battery for my LED.

            My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
            designed to use modern combustion theory and
            techniques.

            Bill in Texas

            Sandy Kramer
          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
              HEET in the yellow bottle from an auto parts store or WalMart.

              Bill in Houston

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...>