Re: [Hammock Camping] Silk Hammocks

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
      <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
      > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
      > > idea.
      > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood stoves.
      He
      > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
      > purchased a JetBoil.

      I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's a
      small army of people out in the world working on how to make cheap,
      efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
      poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
      already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
      getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I come
      up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
      recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?

      Doug Frost
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
        My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
        design with some different materials and the new stove
        should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
        count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
        the battery for my LED.

        My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
        designed to use modern combustion theory and
        techniques.

        Bill in Texas

        --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> wrote:

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
        > Garlington"
        > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a
        > few
        > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic
        > design
        > > > idea.
        > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about
        > his wood stoves.
        > He
        > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit
        > this, but I have
        > > purchased a JetBoil.
        >
        > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out
        > that there's a
        > small army of people out in the world working on how
        > to make cheap,
        > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the
        > third-world
        > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of
        > calculations
        > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for
        > backpackers is
        > getting the weight down while retaining the
        > efficiency. (If I come
        > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have
        > any
        > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the
        > best?
        >
        > Doug Frost

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
          Would it be practical to use the inflater for your DAM as a bellows
          for the stove, and save the weight of the battery?

          Bill in Houston

          <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
          > My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
          > design with some different materials and the new stove
          > should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
          > count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
          > the battery for my LED.
          >
          > My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
          > designed to use modern combustion theory and
          > techniques.
          >
          > Bill in Texas
          >
          > --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
          >
          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
          > > Garlington"

        • quiltpatti
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
            Hi wood burners,
            My dual fuel stove is pretty light and gets the job done. It's
            similar to Rick's coffee can wood stove but uses a 10 oz chix can
            with 9 air holes around the bottom. It contains the wood fire under
            and holds my water pot. I use my platypus drinking tube for a
            bellows. The can and coat hanger wires weigh 1.8 oz. A small pleated
            piece of heavy foil(1gm) holds an esbit tab closer to the pan and I
            put the short ends of the wires in the rim holes so there is a small
            air gap at top(won't burn without)and pan is close enough to esbit.
            Wood fire for supper and esbit for breakfast or in the rain. A 5 oz
            chicken can or 6oz COS salmon can stove weighs 1.1 oz and is just
            the right size for a 26oz beer can pot. Cans do rust and on a long
            hike might need to be replaced periodically.
            Patti

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
            wrote:
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
            > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
            > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
            > > > idea.
            > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood
            stoves.
            > He
            > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
            > > purchased a JetBoil.
            >
            > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's
            > small army of people out in the world working on how to make
            cheap,
            > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
            > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
            > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
            > getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I
            come
            > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
            > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?
            >
            > Doug Frost
          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
              about 6 years ago i arrived in oregon with the screw-on (propane butane) stove but the KOA didn't carry them and i had to drive around portland til i finally found an outfitters.

              so i jumped when sportsmansguide had an alcohol and a wood-burning stove at really cheap prices. but, true to most of their stuff, lightweight is not a feature.

              the alcohol is a cute little cup with a lid - the legs twist out - and it comes in a "leather" bag/

              the wood one is really neat since it folds flat like a narrow paperback and also has a bag... i believe both have "loops" so you can hang onto belt or pack.

              but i haven't had to use them...and am concerned about availability of denatured alcohol...I will take them on my next fly 'n camp trip, where weight is not an issue.

              i tried a brief google but couldn't find them...i'm going kayak camping next weekend so i'll take them along to try them out.

              Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
              My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
              design with some different materials and the new stove
              should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
              count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
              the battery for my LED.

              My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
              designed to use modern combustion theory and
              techniques.

              Bill in Texas

              Sandy Kramer
            • zippydooda
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                HEET in the yellow bottle from an auto parts store or WalMart.

                Bill in Houston

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...>